TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Default Kitchen sink repeatedly comes loose - any suggestions?

Has anyone else had problems with their kitchen sink coming loose? I've had to remove it a few times over the years, and I tighten the underink clips pretty good (or so I thought). Granted, I can't get to alot of them due to the fact that there is so much stuff under the sink (in my SL model), and even with those I can get to I have to be a contortionist, so maybe that's my problem. The sink usually loosens after a few trips. Also, the clips seem to simply bend as a tighten them, instead of applying pressure, so that's obviously not optimal.

I have flexible supply lines going to the sink, so other than wearing down the cabinet, I guess the only thing I'm worried about is cracking the ABS drain.

Any suggestions? I don't want to bead it down with silicone because I want to be able to get it back out easily.

Thanks,
Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Dave -

My guess (and it is only that) is that the bead of caulk is what keeps the sink from moving as the TM vibrates on down the road - and the movement is what is loosening the clips. Tell me, when you first pulled it out, was it bedded in caulk (it should have been)? If so, then you know that caulk can be removed.

If you are really dead set against caulking, how about fabricating a big "gasket", I guess you'd call it, out of some sort of non-slip rubber sheet stock. You know, the stuff they make jar openers out of? You might get a bigger chunk out of a silicone cookie sheet from the kitchen store.

Just a thought. Waterproof, easy to cut, not expensive, grippy ...

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:49 PM   #3
brulaz

It's the clamps that should be holding the sink down. I got some new ones from Trailmanor and managed to get them on. It was a struggle for sure. So far they're working ok.

But really don't know how to make the job easier other than tearing off a side panel or lifting the whole counter top.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

My sink has never had any silicone on it (at least as far as I can tell), so it only had underside clips on it from the factory. But Bill, I like your idea. Maybe a strip of spongy rubber would be enough to absorb the vibrations and make those clips stick. I know silicone won't hold so tight I won't be able to get the sink out -- my hesitation in using it is the time it will take to clean up both surfaces to reinstall.

Bruce - are your new clips identical to the old ones? Do you have any silicone on yours?

Dave
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM   #5
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShrimpBurrito View Post
Bruce - are your new clips identical to the old ones? Do you have any silicone on yours?
No caulk at all.

Not sure if my clamps are the same as yours. See below. I've never seen them before. The plastic clicks onto the metal loop on the sink.

Just remembered. These screws are hex head as well as phillips. The only way I could secure them was using a small ratchet with an extension. A flexible extension would have been better. Don't think I could have done it with a screw driver.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04235.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	7656  
Old 07-12-2012, 04:51 AM   #6
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Dave,

Are you using the OEM sink clips? Perhaps new clips would solve the sink issue? Some fasteners lose their ability to work properly after repeated removal and re-installation.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:59 PM   #7
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I am using the OEM clips, Dick, so I think I'll see if I can find some that look like mine. A picture of mine is below - I didn't realize everyone had their own design....ofo course.

And I think I will look for hex -- getting the screwdriver on there, and keeping it there while in the contortionist position, is like trying to sign your name with a pencil taped onto the end of a yardstick.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3053 (Custom).JPG
Views:	22
Size:	180.2 KB
ID:	7668  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Dave,

I did a quick search looking for a longer screw for the type of clip in the thumbnail of your last post. I used a similar clips (found in Home Depot) to install a kitchen in our basement. If a longer screw is not available, I thought perhaps there is a special tool that will help with the installation.

Here is a link to what I found:
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbin...ps-122796.html

Scroll down and read the one customer review - there is indeed a special screwdriver that sounds like it would make securing the clips much easier. It is an Elkay LK350 Extra Long Screwdriver:

http://www.faucetdepot.com/prod/Elka...iver-30962.asp

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #9
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Thanks for finding that, Dick. Much appreciated. I think I will pick some up. I wish I could see the tip of that special screwdriver. My guess is it isn't more useful than what I currently do -- I use a ratcheting hand driver with an extension that has a sliding screw guide. Once I get the bit on the screw, it's not too bad, but it's still a pain. Even once I get the bit on there and can screw fine, then the claw starts to turn -- and the only way I've found to prevent that, is to stick your other hand up there to hold it. Yea, along with the hot water heater, the water tank, water pump, accumulator, fresh water bridge, various pipes (I take the drain out), etc.

Basically, I use something like this:

...with one of these one the end:

But Bruce's clamps are like 10x better because the claw can't move, and it's a hex. But I can't use them on my sink.

Dave
Old 07-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #10
damad08

Caulk on a sink does double duty. It helps hold the sink down and keeps water (most importantly) that get spilled around the sink from soaking into the counter top and anything else under the sink. What I do is set the sink with the clips, then run a bead around the sink outer edge and wipe down tight to leave only minimal caulk. Then when I need to remove in the future all the caulk I have to remove is easily accessible.