TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #51
klv5920

This is really nice. And steps would only probably be in place for the evening?
Hmm. Thinking about this really hard.

Thanks for all the pictures, Yoda!

Karen
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #52
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda911 View Post
4. Attachment to the wall is with anchored screws, haven't yet but will probably glue them too
Are these anchors thru the wall side to side or?

Picture is too small on phone for me to see really well.

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #53
yoda911

Billy,
The screws go all the way through. On the bathroom side I used large washers to spread the load and putting the screws all of the way through the support using carpentry nuts that are pressed into the support, these screws ended up being 3 1/2 inches above the tub. Since the walls are so flimsy, I opted to add vertical supports to relieve most of the strain on the screws so that the screws are just holding up the support, the weight of the step is actually being supported by the vertical supports. Right now the vertical supports are just wedged in between the floor and the horizontal support. For safety I will probably end up gluing and screwing them in place. The problem with these supports is that they are below the edge of the tub so I will probably use rivet screws there. I think there are a dozen different ways this concept could be utilized. I just opted for what was easy, functional yet still visually appealing. I also thing if more weight needs to be supported, additional or more substantial support options could easily be added.
Hopes this helps Billy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1765.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	7322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1766.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	7323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1767.JPG
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	7324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1776.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	7325   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1777.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	7326  

yoda911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #54
Terryl

Default Steps

Here is what we currently have to access the rear bed.
It is a homemade foot stool that opens up for storage. When in transit it stores in front of the folded closet. It is also used as a extra seat in the living area.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	646.4 KB
ID:	11024   Click image for larger version

Name:	222 (800x800).jpg
Size:	435.2 KB
ID:	11029   Click image for larger version

Name:	224 (600x800).jpg
Views:	88
Size:	262.5 KB
ID:	11030  
Old 12-05-2014, 05:28 PM   #55
Padgett
TrailManor Master

I just bought one of these. Folds almost flat and handy when adjusting the awning.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:49 AM   #56
larrylifelines

New to this discussion, and very grateful for not having to reinvent the wheel to solve this problem. For me, it's mainly a matter of getting the dog up to, and down from, the bed. And the bed is ~2 inches higher since we got the mattress topper that DW requested.

I'm going to try Yoda's idea, and may make a couple of minor adjustments. Instead of gluing the vertical step braces to the bathroom wall, I'll use Velcro. That way, there's a little play--just enough to allow for any slight movement under load, but not enough to break the bond, as might happen with glue. I'll see how robust the steps seem as just 3/4" boards, but may strengthen them with 1-by-2s attached underneath.

Another modification--and I'll take a closer look at this when I get to the actual construction--might be to attach the upper horizontal support to the space just to the right of the under-bed storage door. It's wood, so provides more strength than anything attached to the (as you say) flimsy bathroom wall.

Bottom line, I think the idea of using steps supported at the drawers and the bathroom wall is a winner. I'll post again after I install my version.

Ken Franklin

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda911 View Post
Billy,
The screws go all the way through. On the bathroom side I used large washers to spread the load and putting the screws all of the way through the support using carpentry nuts that are pressed into the support, these screws ended up being 3 1/2 inches above the tub. Since the walls are so flimsy, I opted to add vertical supports to relieve most of the strain on the screws so that the screws are just holding up the support, the weight of the step is actually being supported by the vertical supports. Right now the vertical supports are just wedged in between the floor and the horizontal support. For safety I will probably end up gluing and screwing them in place. The problem with these supports is that they are below the edge of the tub so I will probably use rivet screws there. I think there are a dozen different ways this concept could be utilized. I just opted for what was easy, functional yet still visually appealing. I also thing if more weight needs to be supported, additional or more substantial support options could easily be added.
Hopes this helps Billy

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 08:24 PM   #57
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Ken, the stool that comes with the TM is a single step. What Padgett (and I) have is two steps up, making access to the rear bed much simpler. I don't even carry the single-step stool anymore.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2015, 09:12 PM   #58
Padgett
TrailManor Master

Just a thought but when I had a cat that became infirm, I built a lot of ramps from 1x6 & stapled on carpeting he could just walk up. You could just make one that hooks on the bed and is about three feet long.
Old 08-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #59
larrylifelines

Default Single step to the TM bed

As promised, here is the step I just installed in my 2720SL. It's 3/4" plywood, about 2 feet square, with a piece of cheap carpet stapled to it for (the dog's) traction. Support on the left, per Yoda's design, is the middle drawer. Support on the right is two pieces of 1-by-3 red oak, with angle brackets at both ends. The vertical support is screwed to the bathroom wall from inside the bathroom (I discarded the Velcro idea).
It's a single step, about 18 inches above the floor--adequate for the dog's use, and, augmented by our folding stool, for humans as well. It's plenty strong for us, and the step stores easily in the wardrobe or anywhere else that has a 2-foot space.

Ken Franklin
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Step 1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	12073   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	161.1 KB
ID:	12074   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 3.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	12075   Click image for larger version

Name:	Step 4.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	12076  

TV: 2000 Ford Explorer
TM: 2008 2720SL
larrylifelines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:27 AM   #60
stormpeakco

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylifelines View Post
As promised, here is the step I just installed in my 2720SL. It's 3/4" plywood, about 2 feet square, with a piece of cheap carpet stapled to it for (the dog's) traction. Support on the left, per Yoda's design, is the middle drawer. Support on the right is two pieces of 1-by-3 red oak, with angle brackets at both ends. The vertical support is screwed to the bathroom wall from inside the bathroom (I discarded the Velcro idea).
It's a single step, about 18 inches above the floor--adequate for the dog's use, and, augmented by our folding stool, for humans as well. It's plenty strong for us, and the step stores easily in the wardrobe or anywhere else that has a 2-foot space.

Ken Franklin