TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-17-2011, 12:50 PM   #1

Default Seeking Help With Slide-Out Beds (2000 3023)

I have a 2000 Model 3023, and I need to do some “small” repairs (I hope). I bought my trailer “used”, so it’s possible the previous owner may have done some modifications and substitution of parts.

The first area of concern is the rear bed area. Specifically, the “seals” that the bed slides on during open & close up. There are two of these “assemblies”; one on each side. There is also a similar “seal” across the back of the shell that the bed butts up to when in the open position.

Mine are filled with a foam material; very soft and light. The screws have pulled through this material in a few places (at the aft ends of the side rails especially), and the foam material I refer to above is cracked, chipped and broken in several places along both sides and across the back.

These assemblies appear to be held in place by simply screwing them into (onto?) the shell. I am hesitant to peel back too much of the covering to explore, as this seems to further compromise the foam inside. I am still able to deploy the bed as is, though it takes a gentle hand and some kinds words. I don’t want to disable it before I have replacement parts and a plan.

So my questions are:

1) What are these things called?
2) Are they as easy to replace as it appears?
3) Is there anything more I need to know, and should be asking?

My other issue is related to both the front and rear beds (I have no slide-out). On the underside of the bed pans, there are slots that the support bars travel in, and flanking those slots are strips of very thin fiberglass, held on to the underside of the bed pan with sheetmetal screws. There is a ‘bolt, nut, and plastic washer stack-up’ at the end of each support bar, and that stack-up rides in the slot created by these fiberglass strips. Two strips per slot; two slots per bed; four total for my trailer. Well, these strips of fiberglass are split, chipped and deformed in a few places, causing the bed to hang up while being slid in and out (The bed binds when the stack-ups I describe hit a bad place in the slot).

So my questions here are:

1) What are these strips called?
2) Are these fiberglass strips a factory configuration, or a shade-tree substitution (seems aluminum or even sheet metal would be better)?
3) Is there anything I need to know, and should be asking?

Thanks in advance,
Don
Old 05-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
RogerR

The factory parts department can tell you the exact names of the bed seals and the bed slide brackets. They can also give you a replacement price but make sure you know the shipping as it can be high. I doubt you can buy these elsewhere but you might be able to make the seals yourself.

You can also try the search feature as there may be others that have already solved the problems and came up with workarounds.

If your bed seals are cracked you might want to partially lower the back shell and inspect the roof seals for problems also.