TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Solar Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Default Solar Panel Install on rear shell

I just finished installing our Solar Panels on our Nu2Us '04 2720SL.

This model has the batteries stored in the rear compartment. It makes the panel installation easy. Battery servicing......not so easy...

I didn't get fancy with tilting or swiveling brackets and all that. Simply pop-riveted "L" brackets to the panel then pop-riveted them to the roof using a super adhesive double-sided tape to avoid leaks.

I separated the panels 12" so that caulking that center roof molding wouldn't be an issue.

The electrical wire was easily concealed with a cool snap-together conduit kit that has a self-adhesive backing. It sticks like nothing I've ever seen before.

The wire run was short and tidy. Just drilled a hole up through the floor into the rear compartment.

BTW.......The weight made very little difference in lifting the roof.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03607.JPG
Views:	600
Size:	127.8 KB
ID:	5281   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03608.JPG
Views:	539
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	5282  
Old 11-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Looks quite professional, nice work!

Tim
Old 11-07-2010, 05:43 AM   #3
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Looks nice Wayne. It looks like you just had enough room for the panels when the TM is folded down. I have a couple of questions...

1) Do you worry about being in a hail storm and breaking the panels? Do you take something with you to cover the panels if bad weather approaches?

2) How much wire do you have hanging from the rear top shell when the TM is folded down, and how to you tie it up? Do you have any pictures of that?

3) Did you put your MPPT controller, and your inverter in the same rear compartment as the battery? Do you have any pictures of that?

4) I can't remember from your other post on your solar panel installation, what gauge wire did you use from the panels to the MPPT and what gauge from the MPPT to the battery?

I guess I had more than a couple of questions ...

Thanks, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM   #4
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wire View Post
Looks nice Wayne. It looks like you just had enough room for the panels when the TM is folded down. I have a couple of questions...

1) Do you worry about being in a hail storm and breaking the panels? Do you take something with you to cover the panels if bad weather approaches?

2) How much wire do you have hanging from the rear top shell when the TM is folded down, and how to you tie it up? Do you have any pictures of that?

3) Did you put your MPPT controller, and your inverter in the same rear compartment as the battery? Do you have any pictures of that?

4) I can't remember from your other post on your solar panel installation, what gauge wire did you use from the panels to the MPPT and what gauge from the MPPT to the battery?

I guess I had more than a couple of questions ...

Thanks, Keith
1) We live in SoCal so hail isn't an issue. If I lived in an area where hail was an issue, I would cover each panel with an appropriate sized sheet of 1/4" Lexan or 3/8" Plexiglas or a 1/4" piece of plywood that is covered with a layer of F/G for water protection (for the plywood).

2) There is 14' of 10G marine grade wire from the panels to the controller. The wire is inside the plastic conduit shown in this pic:

The conduit runs along the top (and down the side) of the lower shell, just long the seal of the upper shell. When it reaches the rear hinge in the the lower shell, I left a 1' loop for folding down the camper (when the camper is folded, the wire is tight & flat, when open, there is a visible loop). Then I just wire tired the cable to the back side of the rear support arm until the cable disappears under the trailer.
*****note: Those 2 exposed black wires that you see is the factory installation to the radio antenna (that 12" long black piece on the rear of the upper shell).

3) I ran the cable up through the floor in the rear compartment, just behind the battery box. Then through the compartment to the rear wall (next to the door). I mounted my controller on the outside (rear) of the camper (just to the left of the compartment door) so that it can be viewed without opening the door. I drilled a hole through the wall to run the wires. The controller is covered when the rear shell is down and the bed protects it from the rain when opened. All holes are sealed with silicone sealer on both sides to prevent water intrusion and discourage the wires from rubbing on the bare metal.

I haven't purchased a new inverter yet (the old one went with my old camper). When I do, it will probably be mounted inside the compartment, as close to the batteries as possible. I think that I may have the front panel of the inverter protrude through to the inside of the camper for easy access to the switch and outlets. I prefer not to hard-wire the 110V side of the inverter to the campers electrical system.

4) 10G marine grade wire. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/10-2-...ssoriesQ5fGear Marine grade costs a little more but the wire is "tinned" which makes soldering easier and corrosion a non-issue. This flat jacket 10/2 cable fits in the conduit perfectly.

The conduit made the entire installation seamless and professional looking. It came with all sorts of angled joints and connectors. It is adhesive backed and the adhesive is incredibly strong. One must be sure that it is exactly where he wants it before letting it touch the surface. Once it touches the surface, it's permanent. It's barely visible, even when the trailer is open.
http://www.amazon.com/Wiremold-C210-...ref=pd_cp_hi_1

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03611.JPG
Views:	349
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	5283   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03615.JPG
Views:	366
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	5284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03617.JPG
Views:	365
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	5285   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03613.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	161.2 KB
ID:	5286  
Old 11-07-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Thanks Wayne,

I really am considering copying your setup. Thanks for the link to the Cordmate II. I have sold the Cordmate I for years and just never realized there was a II.

No need to send me pictures. You have described it in enough detail for me.

One final question... What battery are you using?

Thanks again, Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

The panels are mounted on the rear roof, very close to the rear edge of the front roof. When you push the rear shell forward, to begin closing down, do the panels rub the bag seals on the front roof at all?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
The panels are mounted on the rear roof, very close to the rear edge of the front roof. When you push the rear shell forward, to begin closing down, do the panels rub the bag seals on the front roof at all?

Bill
No, They are 2" aft of the front roof. The front roof goes up and forward, no where near the panels.......well.....2".......
Old 11-07-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Wire View Post
Thanks Wayne,

I really am considering copying your setup. Thanks for the link to the Cordmate II. I have sold the Cordmate I for years and just never realized there was a II.

No need to send me pictures. You have described it in enough detail for me.

One final question... What battery are you using?

Thanks again, Keith
I added a few pics to that last post.

At the moment, I have a single group 27 battery that came with the camper. I have 2 new Trojan T105s sitting here, ready to go in. I'm just waiting for my new battery box. I already cut out the floor in the rear compartment. It's amazing how little more footprint the 2, Trojans take than the single group 27.

The only thing I haven't quite worked out is how to get those 2, 63# batteries in the battery box in the rear compartment without killing my back..............ain't campin' fun?????
Old 11-07-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
The front roof goes up and forward, no where near the panels
OK, that's not quite what I asked, but I'll assume the answer is "No".

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
OK, that's not quite what I asked, but I'll assume the answer is "No".

Bill
OK......I had to read that again...............I'll have to watch to see. I don't think so but I didn't watch.......I'll watch for it next time I close up. We're going camping Wed - Monday of next week. I'll let you know...........Good question....