TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Mice love my TM!!!

Hadn't had the TM out for about 3 weeks, it is always stored in an open field and has not had any mice problems till today. I pulled it to the house opened it up and couldn't believe it. To make it worse, while I was scrubbing, I look up and there he goes walking across the lip behind the sink! Got him out pretty quickly. Thought I was in the clear, then another comes out of the bathroom and runs into the furnace. Had to turn the furnace on to get him out. He was hiding in the fan, so he came out pretty quickly. Whew....2 of them, that explains the big mess. THEN!!! pulling out the electric cable out of the rear bumper.....there's another one! Time to go to the hardware store and get some TomCat traps!

This was the first time I had considered just picking the TM up and hitting the road...thank goodness I decided to open it and fill the hot water tank. That would have been a rude arrival tomorrow. It's full of traps now. I had been throwing down some fabric softner sheets when storing over the last year and had not had a problem, I didn't do it this last time, so now, I'm not sure if the dryer sheets were working or if the mice just now happened to find out how comfortable a TM can be. I'll be searching the archives in a bit for suggestions. Please post what has worked for you if you can. Thanks!

Thanks for letting me vent a bit!!! Dang mouses!!!!
Old 09-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
RogerR

I had similar problems and loaded the bumper with mouse killer blocks, I used traps inside and put more blocks near the wheels in pieces of pipe to avoid pets. I took all food and cookware and put it in tubs with snap shut lids. I also cleaned the kitchen to remove all food scents. The dryer sheets didn't work for me.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
mcgyver210
TrailManor Master

Luckily we haven't had any issues with Rodents. I wonder if it is because we leave our TM fully setup & we remove all food after each trip?

2008 3023
2016 Ford F150 Platinum FX4
2003 Land Rover Discovery
EAZLift 1000lb WDH & Sway Control
Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller - Proportional

http://www.hickscarpetcare.com/forum...mpSite2008.jpg
mcgyver210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
rumbleweed

We have used a few drops of essential oil of pepermint on a ball of cotton in a glass ash tray. So far so good.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
rjsmalley

Had the same problem and still do to some extent. During the summer months and between trips, I leave it set up and use traps. During the winter months, I close the TM up ans use the peppermint oil. The oil is about the only thing I have found that works in my area.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Debbie in Texas

Cool

Ours has been in storage here in Texas for 4 years. The storage unit has open fields around it but our slot is gravel and covered. Our only problem is bird poop. But I was afraid that something found a home, like scorpions. She was extremely filthy but no other problems. Texas was extremely hot all summer so it may have baked them out.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM   #7
Dog Lady

Default Scaring me about Mice

You guys are scaring me about mice. We are looking for a 2619 but it will be kept outside under a portable carport in FL

We already have fruit rats roaming around that get into our shed and we have to use decon to kept them away, but I can't imagine having a dead one in our trailer.

What can be done to secure the trailer openings to avoid this?

Annette in FL
Old 02-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #8
rumbleweed

I would use silicon to seal all the openings under the TM. It is easy and doesn't take too long. Then use peppermint oil. Never had a problem and works great for spiders as well. Be sure to get essential oil ( not cheap stuff) from herb shop do not get it on any TM surfaces. I saturate a small piece of cotton or paper towel and place it in a glass ashtray on the floor.
Old 02-16-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
ragmopp

It's interesting about that peppermint oil. I have been using a corporate product that has peppermint oil in it to keep the deer off of my plants (and amazingly it works). I didn't know that it would also work for mice. So where do I get this stuff? A herb shop? Are any of these online?

Mike
Old 02-16-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Lady View Post
You guys are scaring me about mice. We are looking for a 2619 but it will be kept outside under a portable carport in FL

We already have fruit rats roaming around that get into our shed and we have to use decon to kept them away, but I can't imagine having a dead one in our trailer.

What can be done to secure the trailer openings to avoid this?

Annette in FL
So far no problems storing that way on the Ocala NF

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote