TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Feedback to TrailManor
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 PM   #1
Goodyear Travels

Default Check Everything at the Dealership

Well, my wife and I just returned from our first camping adventure in our '07 2720sl. When we purchased the TM from Freedom RV in Tucson there were only (2) features that we neglected to test before we drove off the lot. It was about a 100 degrees that day and guess what -- the furnace was one of the features that we didn't check. The tech assured us that the service guys had seen a wolf spider attempt to hide behind the furnace cover and they gleefully fired it up in order to stomp the poor creature when he ran from the heat.
Sounded plausible so we passed on testing the furnace. The first night out the furnace responded to the temperature drop at 5,000 ft but so did the smoke detector. Ain't nothin quite like a smoke alarm at 1:00 am. I believe if I had fired up the furnace at the dealership and let it run for awhile -- then the chemical smell that seemed to emminate from the combustion chamber would have burned off with the doors and windows open. Thank goodness I took the suggestion of some of the sponsors and brought a backup Mr Heater. It kept us comfortable through the rest of the night and I ran the furnace for an extended period in the morning and had no more problems with the furnace.

When we were still at the dealership the tech stood in tub/shower in order to give a demonstration of the recirculating toilet. He used the hand sprayer to charge the toilet but somehow water was never dispensed into the shower itself. So my dear wife is taking her first shower in the mountains and I step outside to see water gushing from somewhere under the trailer. The black ABS peetrap was poorly glued and separated from the drainpipe at first contact with water. I had to go into town the next morning for a replacement 1.25 inch pipe and some ABS / PVC glue. As a sidenote -- it would seem that the glue would be a good thing to add to a TM repair kit.

So -- I learned (a little bit late) the importance of testing everything and I learned that the extended warranty that I purchased may never do us much good partly because I prefer to do my own work on our TM. Hope someone learns something from our questionable choices.

I should say, however, that everything else worked perfectly and the seals held back some of the hardest rain that we had ever seen. Fortunately, we expected to be challenged by some circumstances (especially on our maiden voyage) so we didn't make ourselves suffer too much over events. We have no regrets about purchasing our 2720sl. It was perfect for the two of us, our Aussie, and our other little rescue dog (breed unknown).