TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2005, 07:55 PM   #11
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Default Specialty shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlkcub
Ray,

Where would you recommend going to have the regearing work done? Would this be something best done by the dealer or a specialty shop?

Dave
A shop that specializes in differentials is a must...proper regearing requires precision measuring equipment (tolerances are less than 1/10000th of an inch) and the ability to precision lathe spacers. It also requires much experience in setting backlash and tooth contact area...if these settings are not done just right you could easily wind up with a howling differential that will fail very early.

Few if any dealerships have the equipment or technicians with the necessary skills.

I use my TM as a base camp for hiking, kayaking, mountain biking, and climbing Colorado's 14ers

The Trailer: 2002 TM Model 2720SL ( Mods: Solar Panels (170 Watts), Dual T-105 Batteries, Electric Tongue Jack, Side AC, Programmable Thermostat, Doran TP Monitor System)

The Tow Vehicle: 2003 Toyota Tundra V8 SR5 4X4 w/Tow Package (Towing & Performance Mods: JBA Headers, Gibson Muffler, 4.30 gears, Michelin LTX M/S Tires, Prodigy Brake Controller, Transmission Temperature Gauge)

RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:23 AM   #12
one504

Agreed. The drivetrain specialty shop will actually debur the gear teeth and set better tollerances on the pinion-depth and gear lash. Regardless, it's a great opportunity to have new clutches put in the limited-slip, or have a limited-slip installed if you don't have one.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:03 AM   #13
kidsplayhouse

Default 2720 with kids

I can't help you much with the tow vehicle questions because we are on the East Coast and do pretty much flat towing everywhere. We use a smaller tow vehicle without any trouble. We do have a 2720 with 2 kids ages 4 and 8 (and last year - 1 dog) I would recommend getting the biggest trailer you can tow. Storage is tough in a 2619 and with small kids there are always toys and constant changing of clothes. You will probably also find in a few years that the kids will want to take along bikes. We have found that all kids at campgrounds have bikes they ride everywhere! This year we invested in a Florida room to attach to the trailer to add on living space. The trailer is a good size for us. We actually can fit both kids in the queen bed sleeping sideways so there is no fighting over who sleeps on the outside or having to climb over each other to get out. (Our 8 year old would not fit on the double this way) We find this works better for now. It also leaves the living area open for the adults after the kids are asleep. If I could have towed a 3023 without purchasing a larger tow vehicle I would have. If I had owned a Durango I would have. Overall the TM is great. It's easy to tow and set up. Last year was our first year camping and we had alot of fun. The kids can't wait to go again this year. Good luck and have fun!
Old 06-20-2005, 10:57 AM   #14
calypso

After reading my reply a second time, I did want to clarify that we purchased our 2720 from a private party. Good luck with your search!