TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #1
Sunchaser

Default Fix for Tail end dragging while going up driveway

My newly purchased 2004 3023 back end drags while going up our driveway. I removed the optional hitch thinking that the 2-3" difference would eliminate the problem. It didn't!

I could reinstall the hitch and buy a hitch wheel, but that would get the back end down about 4-5" and isn't the solution I'm looking for.

Has anyone installed wheels to the frame to avoid this issue, or have any suggestions on what can be done to eliminate the problem? I really don't want to rip out part of the existing driveway and pour a new one.

2" X 12" boards may work, but will be cumbersome.

Any help is appreciated!!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #2
AstroBruce

If you are using a Weight Distributing Hitch, try releasing the spring bars.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:20 PM   #3
ripp1202
TrailManor Master

Add the 2 inch lift kit !!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:16 AM   #4
Sunchaser

Default Dragging...

Good suggestions, thanks!

Has anyone tried one of the bumper wheels?
Old 04-04-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Fdxflyer

I had the same problem and had two solutions. A lift kit was the best fix. Along the way I also bought a Rapid Hitch which allows you to move the ball up and down. Prior to starting up the incline I just chocked the TM, took the weight off the hitch with the tongue jack, pulled the pin on the Rapid Hitch and lowered the ball as far as it would go; hence raising the rear of the TM. The advantage to the Rapid Hitch is I didn't have to disconnect from the TM and I could use the same receiver on another trailer I have. Obviously, it only works if you are not using a WD hitch.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:17 PM   #6
Sunchaser

Default Dragging while going up the drive

I am using a WD hitch, but great suggestion on the adjustable.

How much difficulty is it to install the lift kit? Can it be bolted on or must it be welded, and can that repair be done by someone reasonably proficient in mechanical repair.

What is the cost of the kit?

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-20-2009, 02:45 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

As a temporary (and cheap) solution while you think about a lift kit, buy a cheap Reese hitch (ballmount) at WalMart with a 6 inch drop (or whatever will solve the problem). Expect to pay perhaps $25. You wouldn't want to tow with this hitch, but it is perfectly adequate for maneuvering in the driveway.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM   #8
Sunchaser

Default 6" drop hitch

Thanks for the suggestion! That may be the way to go for now to get it in/out of the driveway! Cheaper than a regrade and concrete pour!

Someone else had suggested 2 X 6s or 2 X 8s under the tires as it is coming down or going up the hill.

I did call a Trailmanor dealer dealer today who quoted me $800 to install a frame lifting kit...but apparently hadn't done this before for anyone else.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 AM   #9
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunchaser View Post
Thanks for the suggestion! That may be the way to go for now to get it in/out of the driveway! Cheaper than a regrade and concrete pour!

Someone else had suggested 2 X 6s or 2 X 8s under the tires as it is coming down or going up the hill.

I did call a Trailmanor dealer dealer today who quoted me $800 to install a frame lifting kit...but apparently hadn't done this before for anyone else.
Sunchaser, do a search here on adding the lift kit. Several members have added the factory lift kit as a driveway project, including myself. If your axle is not tack welded to axle plates, then it is pretty much a straight forward job. Make sure that you use a square or something to mark exactly the way the axles are positioned, to get them back into the exact same placement on the frame for proper wheel alignment. Work from a level spot, and use plenty of support as the TM will be entirely off of the ground, including an extra 3" at the start of the project to allow for the lift. An impact wrench will also be handy, as the old bolts were really difficult to remove. If you decide to take on this project, PM me if you wish, and I will give you my experience.

If you don't have the tools or feel reluctant to tackle the project, I think several members have had their local trusted mechanic to do that project for them.
Old 04-21-2009, 06:41 AM   #10
Sunchaser

Default Lift kit

I"ll check this out...what is the cost of the lift kit?