TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #1
b&pcamping

Default roof rack?

I'm still in the search mode for my first TM. My first thought was a 2619 but on further invesigation I'm looking for a 2720 instead. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to mount a roof rack to carry a kayak on top? With or without the rack I'm so looking forward to finding our own TM. We've got a wedding to attend in Colorado Springs in July, sounds like a great first trip to me.
Thanks,
Bruce
Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We've seen LOTS of discussion on the topic. Use the Search tool on RACK or ROOF or KAYAK or CANOE, and you'll find most of it. I'm not sure that anyone is sure about the roof strength issues, but the primary objection seems to be the convenience issue - you can't raise the shells until you have removed the boats, even if you are stopping only for an hour or a lunch break.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:56 PM   #3
PopBeavers

I posted a reply on this topic several years ago. My theory is that it would be possible to construct a frame (electrical conduit perhaps) that sits above the TM roof without touching it. The weight would be carried on three legs. Two on the front attached to the tongue as far apart as you could get, so you have some stability. The third leg would attach to the optional hitch receiver on the rear of the TM.

I am not sure how to keep it from wobbling side to side, but my possible solution at least puts the weight on the TM frame, not on the roof. Perhaps some ropes or straps down the side of the TM to the TM frame to prevent side to side wobble.

In my case, I would just use lumber racks on my truck, but not everyone has a truck.
Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
b&pcamping

Default roof rack

Thanks to both of you who responded. Looks like a roof rack on the TV is the way to go and not of the TM.
Thanks again.
Bruce
Old 04-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
n4qpcham

Default Roof Rack Options for TM

I've been searching for a rack to carry my fiberglas canoe. A company called ProRac makes racks for popups based on p-up brand(Starcraft, Jayco, etc.). They mount thru the roof with two bolts per rack foot. They can also mount in the T-channel found along the upper edge where the sidewall meets the roofline on p-ups. My TM is in for service, so I can't look and see if it has a T-channel or not. Using the T-channel as a mounting point would spread the weight down the side at 4 points. My canoe is under 100 lbs. so it SHOULD be ok on the roof, but don't quote me. Here is TM's response to my question about roof racks: If you need to haul on the TrailManor, there may be available brackets and mountings to mount these on the roof. The TrailManor roof is a 1" thick laminated panel with aluminum skin inside and out and a Styrofoam core. The attachments to the roof should be large enough to spread out the weight over a area as large as possible. You must be aware of adding these brackets and mountings to the roof will add weight, which will effect the opening and closing of the tops.