TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #1
PUPTENT

Default Incomplete Information [re weight]

I cannot find certain information on TM trailers.

1. Most manufacturer's will list the axle weight, and the hitch weight, and then add those two figures to arrive at the dry weight. TM gives a dry weight, and also shows the hitch weight. Does the TM dry weight figure include the hitch weight, or do you have to add it on?

2. I cannot find a GVWR on any TM trailer. So, do you add the TM carrying capacity figure to the dry weight only, or do you need to add the hitch weight as well in order to arrive at the GVWR?

It would help to know these facts for towing purposes and when comparing a TM product with other products on the market.

Thanks for any help.

PUPTENT
Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
gocntry

A Thread Was Started On The Tm Weights Actual Weight Of My TM There's A Sticker With The GVWR It's Inside The Sink Cabinet, There's Also A Sticker On The Outside Of Mine With The GVWR

Hope This Helps
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tmsticker3.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	3981  
Old 10-09-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
PUPTENT

Thanks for the info regarding the Elkmont and where to find the GVWR.

I called Custom RV in Southern California and found out that the 2498# dry weight for the Elkmont DOES include the hitch weight, but does not include options. So, they figure an average Elkmont with options will run around 2800-2900#. This is still a fantastic weight for a 24' 4" trailer. Adding 800 lbs. of "stuff" to it would run the total weight to about 3700#. I'm guessing the axle rating on that trailer is around 3750#.

The Elkmont looks better by the minute.

PUPTENT
Old 10-09-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
PopBeavers

I walked through both the trail mini and the Elkmont at the rally. I agree that the Elkmont is much nicer. I liked the under bed storage. I did not care for the table. They did not have the bunk model. The bunk model might be interesting for someone with kids or grand kids.

The mini was very small. but it would certainly store better in a garage than the Elkmont. Storing in the garage is a critical issue of us.

Since we tow with a truck, we don't need to stay down in the size range of the mini.

Besides storability, the advantage of the mini over the Elkmont, me thinks, is wind drag while towing (fuel economy and wear and tear on the TV) and risk of sway (passed by a big rig).

Sway can be reduced by a combination of sway bars and wheel base of the TV.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 PM   #5
PUPTENT

Wayne:

Sorry I missed you at the rally, but I got there late and the two models I wanted to see were the two Custom RV brought.

1. We are just the two of us - so the Mini is appealing for that purpose, as well as towability, and the ability to be set up in front of a garage wall, because it opens forward only. A 2720 for us might mean storing off site because of the need for four feet behind and in front of it to open up at home.

2. The Elkmont gives my wife a regular bed and not one needing climbing into - she is a very active person, but looking forward 10 years or so . . .

3. The bunk model will be excellent for families or grandkids - even though we have six grandkids we camp alone - they are way too busy to even get out camping with their family, except for Scout activities.

4. The frontal area while towing is my only concern, and maybe not a real concern. I'll keep pecking people's brains on that one.

5. Sofa or dinette - I'm 60/40, favoring a dinette, but the sofa setup is doable for us.

6. One of the advantages, to me, of the Elkmont is that it has a regular flush toilet and holding tank and not the recirculating kind. I asked the factory if the flush could be an option on the other TMs and they said NO.

PUPTENT
Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 PM   #6
PopBeavers

The advantage of the recirculating toilet is when dry camping, which is what we do. For those that stay always with hookups it looses that advantage. Some have replaced the recirculating toilet with a traditional RV toilet, but I am not convinced that is a good idea.Even with hookups, if you have a standard RV toilet then you really need to have a black tank. Flushing directly into the sewer line does not work out very well, from what I hear.

Of the TM models, it sounds like the Elkmont is a good choice for you, if it will fit in the driveway. I would be leaning towards the biggest trailer that would fit at home. I hate the thought of paying for a storage lot.
Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
mtnguy

I think you have the option on an Elkmont to have either the standard RV toilet, or a recirculating toilet. If I were to order a new Elkmont, that would be a difficult decision to make. Buyers would have to decide if they are were going to mostly dry camp (recirculing toilet), or have hookups (conventional system).

I have an conventional RV toilet in my current camper. It is more trouble than the recirculating toilet in my previous TM. To keep it working properly, I flush the tank with a wand when I get home about every other camping trip. It uses more water than my TM toilet. I have actually gotten more bad smells with the current setup than with the recirculating toilet.....mainly when it rains and there are elevation changes due to the vent not pulling correctly.

There are a lot more complaints with the conventional system out there on the web vs. the recirculating toilets........of course there are a lot more of the conventional RV toilets out there to complain about.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:21 AM   #8
gocntry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
I think you have the option on an Elkmont to have either the standard RV toilet, or a recirculating toilet. If I were to order a new Elkmont, that would be a difficult decision to make. Buyers would have to decide if they are were going to mostly dry camp (recirculing toilet), or have hookups (conventional system).

You Might Be Able To Order The Elkmont With The Re-Circulating Toilet And Still Have Them Put A Black Tank Underneath.

Then You Could Dump The Re-Circulating Toilet Once Or Twice If Needed And Really Do Some Extended Dry Camping If That's What You Wanted To Do.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:54 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUPTENT View Post
I called Custom RV in Southern California and found out that the 2498# dry weight for the Elkmont DOES include the hitch weight, but does not include options. So, they figure an average Elkmont with options will run around 2800-2900#. This is still a fantastic weight for a 24' 4" trailer.
Be careful here, and ask more questions. The Elkmont pricing page shows a Value Package. This package is priced separately as if it were an option, but it is Required, not optional. And like any other option, its weight is not included in the stated dry weight. According to the TM factory, this package weighs a bit over 480 pounds, and since it is Required, it brings the starting weight of the trailer to 2980 lbs. Now, any options that you add beyond the Value Package will further increase the weight.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 11:24 AM   #10
voyager2

When we purchased our Elkmont we had the dealer replace the flush toilet with the Thetford recirculating toilet. The black water tank remained. We now can dry camp for a week or two without having to dump. In fact, we have not yet camped long enough to have to dump. No problems so far with this configuration.