TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
mbd4kids

We have a Suburban 1500 and tow a 3023. Our gas mileage stays the same or within .1 mpg while towing (increase on our first trip using low gears for hills!!!) versus not towing, which is 14.9-15.1 mpg.
mbd4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
TraceyMac

We have a 2006 Honda Ridgeline (V-6 is the only engine available). When not towing, we get around 21 mpg on the highway. When towing, we get about 16 to 17 mpg. Note, I rarely tow faster than 60 to 65 mph.
Old 09-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #13
ib4classics

We just made the trip from Johnson City TN to Williamsburg VA. yesterday, 16.5 towing.
We get 18 in mixed driving solo around town and have had as good as 20+ solo
Old 09-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #14
allenj

05 Jeep Liberty CRD (diesel), 21 mpg towing, 24 mpg not towing.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
AstroBruce

I hope everyone is posting calculated MPG between fill-ups. My trip computer is very optimistic when it comes to Average MPG. It is on the high side between 1.5 and 4 MPG. Some of the posted figures I am seeing seem somewhat unrealistic. Please let us know how your MPG figures were calculated.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:51 AM   #16
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce View Post
I hope everyone is posting calculated MPG between fill-ups. My trip computer is very optimistic when it comes to Average MPG. It is on the high side between 1.5 and 4 MPG. Some of the posted figures I am seeing seem somewhat unrealistic. Please let us know how your MPG figures were calculated.
My MPG numbers in post #6 were calculated....that was before I got my ScanGauge. I now have the ScanGauge tweaked so that is shows within plus or minus 1 or 2 tenths of my actual mileage every tank. Any way you can adjust your trip computer to more realistic figures??
Old 09-25-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
commodor47
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodor47 View Post
2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT, 4L, V6, 4x4, 3.73 gearing has averaged 15 - 16 mpg towing and 20 - 21 mpg when not towing. The data comes from two winter trips to Southwest AZ with a return via FL then up the East Coast. Each trip totaled approximately 10,000 miles.

Dick
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroBruce
My mpg figures were calculated between fill-ups. I kept a spreadsheet of miles driven per fill, number of gallons per fill, price per gallon, total cost per fill, and average mpg for each fill. Send me PM if you would like to see a copy of both spreadsheets.

Dick
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #18
Beak12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED-n-KEL View Post
With us gathering tire info and TM weights, I thought I'd ask about mpg.
I'm curious as to what kinds of mpg everyone is getting with their perspective rigs. If you don't mind, can you post what kind of mpg you get while towing, and include some basic stats on your TV (model/engine size/gearing/etc), and what size TM you tow (if it's not already in your signature).
I'll assume most people tow in average or mixed terrain (50/50 flat/hilly) so if you feel most of your towing doesn't fit into this category, please comment.

I know I've seen some individual info posted on this, but I'd like to try to gather as much info as possible to form a good comparison.
We have
1. Saturn (07) Outlook AWD XR 3.6L V6 - 6 speed auto Tran. with Trailer towing package. Outlook rated to pull 4500 lbs.
2. A/MPG without towing - 21 (Saturn paperwork says 17-24)
3. A/MPG towing - 13
4. TM- 04 2720SL

a-CA state law says 55 MPH on freeways with trailer--because of all the talk about tire problems I never travel over 57MPH. So far so good. (unless passing)
b - Going to the Rally in Petaluma next week will ck MPG again.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:36 PM   #19
freein05

2008 Honda Ridgeline. 14mpg in hills and mountains and 16 mpg on the level. The towing speed is between 55 and 60 mph. TM is a 2619
Old 09-28-2009, 01:15 PM   #20
allenj

Our MPG is calculated between fill ups, the Jeep doesn't have a trip computer.