TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2008, 02:05 PM   #11
Wavery
TrailManor Master

I tow our 2720 with a little S-10 PU. I have no WDH and no sway bar. The trailer tows like it isn't even there. Only my credit card knows.....
Old 09-24-2008, 02:36 PM   #12
PopBeavers

I measured the height of my rear bumper on my truck and then measured it again after I connected the TM. Adding the TM caused it to sag 5/8 inch. I found no need to use a WD hitch.

If you have a substantial sag, then that indicates, I think, that a WD hitch might be a good idea.

A better way is to weigh the front and rear axles of the TV before and after connecting the TM. There should not be very much unweighting of the front axle.

The purpose of the WD hitch is to move some weight off of the rear axle of the TV back onto the front axle of the TV. A side effect is that some weight is also shifted to the TM axle.

After adding two motorcycles to my TV, I started having more sag than I was comfortable with, a little over two inches. Since I routinely have my TM loaded to the max, shifting weight onto the TM axle is not a good idea for me. I bought a bigger truck to solve my problem.

I am willing to bet a modest amount of money that almost no one takes more stuff with them than I do.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
fife&brown

Default Wdh

Thanks for the information. I think I will tow it back without the WDH and see how it goes. And yes, I already have a brake controller.
Thanks.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:18 PM   #14
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

The TM tongue weight is about 600 pounds. So get THREE 200-lb guys to stand on your rear bumper and see how far the front of your car is angled up. 700-lb of weight might be more accurate because the weight from the TM tongue will be further back from where the guys will stand on the bumper.

The distance that the fenders move with respect to the wheel should be the same on the front wheels vs. the rear wheels. If it's not close, you need a WDH.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:47 PM   #15
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by fife&brown View Post
Thanks for the information. I think I will tow it back without the WDH and see how it goes. And yes, I already have a brake controller.
Thanks.
I think you'll find that a weight distributing hitch is both a requirement in your owner's manual and necessary to keep the weight on your front wheels from being reduced by the tongue weight on the hitch. The point is that the front wheels do all the steering and most of the braking, and these are both important for safety and handling. For me, the test is to measure from the front fender to the pavement before and then after hitching. If it rises, I need a WDH.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 09:13 AM   #16
Scott O

You have received excellent advise above. All reples are 'spot on'. I would add two things. Except for the cranking, set-up on the TM is about as easy as on a pop-up. I do find the take down to be much easier - no constant tucking in canvas! Also and probably most important, get your tires balanced immediately and keep a close eye on the tire pressure. When considering a WDH, don't just look at the rear sag. What the front end is doing is probably more important, since that controls steering and quite a bit of your braking power. If you error, best to make it on the side of caution.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:29 AM   #17
Wavery
TrailManor Master

The biggest difference that I enjoy (from my old PU) is not having to squat under the bed platforms and push them up with my back to put the bed-support-poles in the bumper. I just simply couldn't do it any more.

Putting the TM roofs up & down is nothing compared to cranking up that top (with an AC on it).

No more messing with canvas support braces, lowering that door into place and messing with the lift-up galley sink.

I suppose if you are in your 30's or 40's, these aren't issues but when you get into your 60's they become a bit of a pain.

The thing that I really love is that after having to get out of the CG before noon, we don't have to stop at a fast food place on the way home . We just find a nice spot, pull off the road, set-up (without unhitching) and enjoy a meal from our own home. It saves $, saves time and we get a beautiful view in the package. We're only 5 minutes away from being a TT at any given moment.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #18
Beak12

We're only 5 minutes away from being a TT at any given moment.

And a TT is????
Old 09-25-2008, 10:45 AM   #19
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wahlsten View Post
We're only 5 minutes away from being a TT at any given moment.

And a TT is????
Sorry.....TT="Travel Trailer"
Old 09-25-2008, 10:27 PM   #20
Goodyear Travels

Don't have time to read everyone's advice -- so I don't know if this suggestion has already been shared. A number of us have had a problem with leaks from the top of the gray water tank. I don't believe that anyone discovered the problem in the "check out" of their unit ---since no one fills the gray water tank in the dealer's lot. Well, if I were buying another unit --- I wouldn't leave the site without topping the gray water tank. That's the only way you can discover the leak. I had to drive nearly 400 miles (round trip) and leave our trailer for 3 weeks at the dealership because I didn't fill the gray water tank. I should have filled it with 30+ gallons from the dealer's hose then released the water in a landscaped area.

Good Luck to you. Just know, you're still going to miss something, we all do. We have an 07 2720sl.