TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-12-2003, 05:14 PM   #1
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Default Towing Mirror Question

Any thoughts or experiences with towing mirrors?  Specifically the CIPA extended (clips over with no straps) versus the McKesh strap-on?  The Chevy Tahoe we would be towing with has an outside width of 93 inches to the outside of the OEM mirrors (outside of mirror to outside of mirror).  Add another 4 or 5 inches (?)  for the CIPA clip on extension mirrors.  The specs have the TrailManor at 91 inches without awning and lights.  I read somewhere that in California you need mirrors where you can see approaching vehicles from 200 feet back.

So if a train leaves Chicago at 8 a.m at 60 m.p.h and a TrailManor leaves Lake City at 10 a.m. at 55 m.p.h when will they meet???

Seriously, any real life advice on this? 8)

Thanks!

Kevin R
TrailManor in the works.
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 11:42 PM   #2
Windbreaker

Default Re: Towing Mirror Question

Boy do I have thoughts on it. I have three clip on style sets of mirrors I am about to trash or give away. Problems with them staying on and you can't see what you need to see make them worthless. The McKesh open the world to you. I spent over $200 trying to find a clip on that would work for my Chevy PU, even had modifications made to one of the products none of it helped. Gave up and ordered the McKesh and boy am I glad I did! Best money I've spend after getting the TM.
Old 06-13-2003, 02:23 AM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Once again I find myself echoing Windy.  I have no experience with clip-ons, but I am VERY enthusiastic about the McKesh mirrors.  They go on and off in less than 15 seconds each, don't scratch the paint, and are very stable and vibration-free.  Extended length is adjustable, as is the height relative to your regular mirrors.

In my experience, you do NOT need a spotting mirror on the driver's side, but you DO need one on the passenger's side.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 03:11 AM   #4
Cateye
Cateye

I bought a set of the McKesh mirrors and returned them. My problem was that the clip for the door must be inserted between the window and window gasket (seal) for the window. This left a very large gap allowing rain to get into the door. Bought the CIPA mirrors at Wall Mart and will try them this weekend. So far they are very satisfactory and seem to fit my 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee very well. Just did not want to get water in my door with power windows.
Cateye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 07:18 AM   #5
hinxster
Site Sponsor

You may want to look at the mirror attachments that are made by Custom Towing Mirror, LTD in Brown City, MI 810 346-8888. We use them on a 2001 Yukin XL w/ a 2003 2720. They are easy to use as they slip on and do not scratch. The field of view is excellant as well.
hinxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 08:24 AM   #6
hal

Default Re: Towing Mirror Questionour tow vehicle is a sma

Our tow vehicle is a small Jimmy.  We have tried the slip on type mirors and were plagqued by their shaking, not extending far enough outward to view the cars behind me and because the contour of our mirrors on our car were "tear drop", they were always sliding off.  I had to double tie them with stretchies.

Finally after becoming disgusted with them, I left them off.  An angry state patrolman in Wyoming convinced me to get some mirrors.  

So, we bought the Hensley.  They were pricey but were just what I needed.  My wife probably is getting tired of me each time  I look in the mirrors and repeat "boy I like those mirrors,.... what did we do without them?"  The last I heard, they were on sale, not including the wide angle mirrors.  I even use the wide angle mirrors to check my behind.  What with my behind, I need wide angle mirrors.

Hal
Old 06-13-2003, 09:51 AM   #7
2619PDX

I tow with a 2001 Tahoe. I bought a set of McKesh mirrors from Wade off this site. Boy do I love em! Took a bit to get used to tightening them up properly though. But man are they dialed in now.

You get a great view of what's behind you. I would highly recommend also getting a set of the round convex mirrors as well, as they give a great side view.

In fact, I sometimes miss them, when I take the set off after towing.

I haven't noticed any rain problems from water bypassing my window seal on the doors, and up here in Portland, we get a lot of rain.

Over memorial day weekend, I even had folks looking at my mirror set up and asking where they could buy them!

Hope this helps!

Gregg in Portland
Old 06-13-2003, 04:22 PM   #8
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I also use the Mckesh mirrors and definitely recommend them. My Cherokee is fairly narrow (only 72 inches wide) so I really needed the extension capability of the Mckesh mirrors. And even though I'm using them in the almost fully extended position there is absolutely no vibration and I have excellent rearward visiblity. I got the add-on convex spot mirrors for both sides as well and am glad I did...although the driver side spot mirror is semi-superfluous on the road, it's quite helpful for backing in sharp left turns.

After a year's use, I have noticed a couple of cons though that a prospective buyer might want to consider.

First, when wet,  the nylon tightening straps make a noticeable humming vibration when driving at the speed limit. As soon as they dry, the vibration goes away.

Second, the top clips, which fit between the door frame and window glass, have slightly but  permanently deformed the rubber gasket between the door and the glass, particularly on the driver's side. This deformation may be unique to the window construction of the pre-98 Cherokees (which have an old-fashioned design using 2 pieces of glass in the front doors).
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:03 AM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ray -

In my experience, the straps hum because they stretch (and therefore loosen) slightly when they get wet. Just crank the handle a couple more clicks, and the noise should go away. Later, of course, when they dry out, they get REALLY tight - but not to the point of causing any problems.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 11:50 AM   #10
kdrickard
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all the good advice.  Sounds the the McKesh is the popular choice.  I am interested in hearing how Cateye's experience works out this weekend with the new clip on's.  Was not able to pull up anything on the Internet for Custom Towing Mirror, LTD, except an address and phone number -- guessing they may be more of a local/regional outfit.

This is a great site, having been able to find answers to most of my questions in previous threads, and getting good RL advice on this post.  Thanks again.

Kevin
kdrickard is offline   Reply With Quote