TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2008, 09:42 PM   #11
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Default Which one to buy

1. How well do the TMs hold up?

Better than any other trailer in the in the business. The floor plans don't change much, the aluminum roofs don't deteriorate like those plastic and rubber ones, and the aluminum frames don't rot.

2. It appears that TMs lose about well over 50% of their retail value in 10 years. Is that typical for TMs? Typical for trailers in general? Or is there some other reason for this?

Most RV's lose about 15-20% %/year, and I'd say that TM's lose about 10-15%/year based on the for-sale ads. You can easily figure this out yourself by looking at the ads, too. Buy a good 2004-2006 model and save more than half before you start.

3. Though TM says you can haul up to a 3023, that really looks like it would be pushing it. Why is TM generous with their rating?

TM offers their opinions based on owner feedback, per their web site. The 3023 is only 50 pounds heavier that the 2720SL. The tongue weight depends on how the trailer is loaded. You definitely need a weight distributing hitch that's rated for MORE than your expected hitch weight and a vehicle that's properly built for one if you're even thinking about cutting it close.

If you're staying in campgrounds, there's no need for the 40 gal (200 pounds) of water Pop Beavers loads on, and perhaps similar cut backs on some of that other stuff he carries around would help in controlling the size of your tow vehicle too. You also need to consider the altitude you live and camp at, because you lose 3.5% of power per thousand feet above sea level. This is a big problem for Westerners, but not nearly such a big deal for the rest of us who only visit there occasionally.

The Trailmanor web site shows the Toyota Highlander as only rated for 3000#with your engine, although it says it's ok for 3500 on the Tacoma with the heavy duty tow package. I suspect you're going to want to keep your trailer on the lighter side.

4. One of my concerns with the TM over say a Hi-Lo is the two piece roof. Have you ever had to replace the roof gasket and how difficult and expensive is it?

The gaskets don't seem to be a reliability issue, based on things posted on this site. One of my concerns about the HiLo is it's weight.

5. Is it better to store your TM in the open or closed position? Where I live, I can do either. It at least makes sense to me, that the open position keeps tension off the spring lift mechanism which might increase their life span.

I'd bet that there isn't a lot of experience on TM's stored open and that they handle everything better when stored closed (rain, snow, theft, windstorm, etc.).

6. Is the lifetime warranty on the lift mechanism transferable? If you buy one used, does the warranty move with the unit?

The warranty moves with the unit. The TM website is pretty proud of this and says they've never had one not open like it's supposed to.

7. The 2619 just meets our needs, the 2720 easily meets the needs. We actually like the 2619's floorplan over the 2720SL/SD better (why we like the 2720 better). Is there anything you like about the different units, especially in the used markets?

The great thing about TM's is that they are still great after a few years.

8. Finally, one of the big reasons we are thinking about the TM and Hi-Lo is the fuel economy aspect. It is certainly at least logical to buy into the claim that aerodynamic efficiency would reduce fuel consumption. Has anyone actually have published results of such a test and just how much to expect?

Do a search on this site on the word "mileage". And most important: It's not how fast you can go in an RV that counts, it's how fast you can stop. A 10mph reduction in speed offers big dividends on both counts.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 12:48 AM   #12
grakin

On the evolution of the TM, the only huge change made lately (last 15 years or so) if I read others posts correctly is going from a frame with some wood in it to a frame that is all aluminum. That might be a big deal in the used market.

Other than that, it's mostly in the "frills" that the improvements are made - better velcro, better converters, new options (solar, electric lift jacks, etc), different stabilizing jacks, etc. It's mostly small stuff that makes life nice (it's nice having a place to hang the showerhead - but is that one improvement enough to pay thousands more? Probably not). They are almost all "minor" changes that are nice to have but usually not essential. Of course you might find one or another of them essential, in which case that would make your decision. But I would be surprised if next year's TM was completely different than this years.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
Leslie & Nick
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Thanks to everyone who has commented so far. I am reading and digesting the info.
3. What has been the evolution cycles of the TM? Are there things not installed on older TMs that is only on the newer units?

Thanks,
Nathan Gifford
I think there have been a few changes over the years. One that comes to mind is placement of the air conditioner. Older TMs had the ACs mounted on the side in one of the cabinets. Factory started using roof mounted ACs somewhere in 2002-2003 or thereabouts. Personally, I'm don't care for our side mounted unit (poor air flow, wasted cabinet space), but others say they work fine and are easier and less costly to replace than a roof mounted unit.

They started using microwaves instead of the gas oven a few years ago (maybe as an option?) I myself, like the idea of the gas oven better. You can always buy a cheap microwave for the TM.

There have probably been other innovations over the years, but by and large the TM is still pretty much the same design idea. I still call it an 'engineering marvel'
Leslie & Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #14
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie & Nick View Post
They started using microwaves instead of the gas oven a few years ago (maybe as an option?) I myself, like the idea of the gas oven better. You can always buy a cheap microwave for the TM.

Lesilie & Nick, I think the gas oven is still offered as standard equipment. The microwave is a $144 option in place of the oven. I am like y'all when thinkn' that the gas oven is the best (& cheapest) way to go. You can always use the oven, but you can't use the microwave when boondocking. You can easily add a store bought microwave later, but it would be difficult to hook-up a gas oven later.

Chap
Old 02-19-2008, 09:45 AM   #15
PopBeavers

I bought a cheap microwave for 50 bucks at Walmart. It has been used once in two years.

We use the oven every trip, biscuits for breakfast and chocolate chip cookies after dinner. Neither does well in a microwave.

The shore power cord has been moved so it can be accessed when the top is closed. Not too big o a deal, but a little bigger than the shower head attachment.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:57 AM   #16
ng2951

Yes, I do agree with posters that I would prefer an over over a microwave. Microwaves heat, they do not cook real well. I am the chef and the wife prefers it stays that way.

Too bad the oven does not have a self-cleaning option...
Old 02-19-2008, 12:04 PM   #17
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ng2951 View Post
Too bad the oven does not have a self-cleaning option...
My missus says our oven does have that option.....me !!!!

Chap
Old 02-19-2008, 01:31 PM   #18
ng2951

I am sure mine will too. She says you messed it up, you clean it up...the Henny Penny arguments do not apply. For the home unit I always get the self-cleaning option...
Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 PM   #19
larsdennert

We have a 2720 with the rear Queen and front Full. Having the extra outside storage for the BBQ and firewood etc and inside space is really nice. The queen is useful as the kids sometimes end up in our bed at night.

I don't think there's any noticeable towing difference between the 2619 and 2720. I think it'd be tiring towing with a 4cyl Taco though unless you live in flat country.

Last weekend we drove quite a few miles of dirt road with the TM. I couldn't find the hookups when we got to camp.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:52 AM   #20
Bill & Lisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdennert View Post
We have a 2720 with the rear Queen and front Full. Having the extra outside storage for the BBQ and firewood etc and inside space is really nice. The queen is useful as the kids sometimes end up in our bed at night.

I don't think there's any noticeable towing difference between the 2619 and 2720. I think it'd be tiring towing with a 4cyl Taco though unless you live in flat country.

Last weekend we drove quite a few miles of dirt road with the TM. I couldn't find the hookups when we got to camp.

Looks like you guys were living in style compared to the others in your group! Gotta love it.