TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > General Maintenance and Cleaning
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2002, 01:16 AM   #1

Default Velcro Velcro Velcro

Well I know this subject has been discussed about a thousand times, but I am bringing it up again.

I need to do some serious Velcro Replacment, or at least regluing of what I currenty have.
Most everything I remember reading on this board about Velcro replacement seemed to end in failure of some sort.

I am looking for some success stories about replacment or regluing.
What has worked for you, what type of Velcro did you use, and if you remember where did you purchase it?

Also, I live in FL and it tends to be very humid, I think that may be part of the problem.

Thanks,

Dave
Old 10-16-2002, 10:26 AM   #2
Happytrails

Default Re: Velcro Velcro Velcro

Someone suggested a product affectionately referred to as "Gorrila Snot" by auto body shops. I did see a similar product called "Gorrila Glue" at my local Northwest hardware store that claims to be the "strongest glue on the market" for that type of thing. Dunno if it's the same thing or not. I'm getting ready to replace a lot of my velcro as well and might just try it and see if it works. Going to have to get mine back open, and it's been raining in my area a lot lately. But if I get to it before you do, I'll let ya know what I find out David......

[glow=red,2,300]Happytrails.........[/glow]
Old 10-16-2002, 11:40 AM   #3

And I'll let you know if I get to it first.  Truth is, I would rather reglue then replace.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:49 PM   #4

Hi Guys,
There is another product that might work if you  can lay hands on it. We a 3M product called VHB double stick tape. It is used to fasten stainless steel fabrications together, like escalator cladding or interior elevator panels. Once the stuff adheres it is very difficult to pull apart, in some cases we have actually damaged the metal trying to separate it. It is pretty pricey something like .35 a lf in the smaller widths.

Aaron
Old 10-28-2002, 01:22 PM   #5
oilspot

I considered the glue approach and decided against it.

Larry Loo provided detailed instructions for gluing, which were incredibly accurate.  Don't buy the gorilla glue, it is a polyurethane glue which foams as it cures.  The gorilla snot glue is a automotive trim adhesive (3M or Permatex brand), which is a contact cement.

I ordered both types of 1-in industrial velcro from McMaster Carr, just in case.

I used the industrial self adhesive velcro and it has held up well (three months or so now).  I cleaned up the old adhesive with mineral spirits.  I had another cleaner, but it took the paint off too...

The previous owner had tried replacing some with the 2-in industrial velcro brand stuff, as well as gluing some back on.  Neither solution worked well and the glue was almost impossible to remove (unlike the paint).

Try the McMaster Carr stuff and I think you'll have good results...
Old 10-28-2002, 05:27 PM   #6
Larry_Loo

David,

This past summer I ordered 30' of 1" wide "Super-Adhesive" Nylon Hook strips from McMaster-Carr Supply Co. In early August I replaced about half of the velcro hook strips on the inside walls of my 3124KS. Some of the hook strips that I replaced were of the "Industrial Strength" velcro that I first tried as replacements for the original velcro. The industrial strength velcro strips were coming off the wall, some loosening as early as a month after I applied them. So far the "Super-Adhesive" velcro seems to be adhering tightly to the walls. If you replace the velcro in your TM, you must clean off the old adhesive residue completely. I believe that it also helps to scuff up the white paint a little with sandpaper, then wipe it clean with alcohol before applying the new velcro.

Initially I tried using double-stick tape to reattach the original velcro, but, that didn't work well at all. I also tried using a 3M spray adhesive. This didn't produce satisfactory results either.

McMaster-Carr's website is at:
http://www.mcmaster.com/

Type in "hook & loop" in the search box.
Old 10-29-2002, 01:41 AM   #7

I have already tried a few options that have failed. Glue and double sided tape. I guess I will break down and do this corectly.

Larry, you said you bought 30' and replaced half the velcro.  Did you use all 30'?  Just wondering how much to order to replace it all.

Thanks for the tips.

Dave
Old 10-29-2002, 02:43 AM   #8
Larry_Loo

David,

Before ordering the "Super-Adhesive" velcro from McMaster-Carr, I tallied up the lengths of all of the velcro strips in our 3124KS. I can't recall the exact total but it was over 20 feet. Since McMaster-Carr only sells them in precut lengths, e.g., 15 ft., and 30 ft., I opted to buy 30 ft. Because I did the velcro replacement just before our 4 week long trip to Atlanta, I was quite busy with other tasks and only replaced those strips that obviously needed replacement. Some "Industrial Strength" strips that seemed to be attached to the wall I left alone. I also was not 100% sure if the "Super-Adhesive" velcro would work any better, so doing a partial replacement was also a test of the new brand of velcro.

I will finish replacing all of the old velcro with "Super-Adhesive" velcro when I can find some time. I've got a more pressing replacement of a pulled-out, upper shell latch and cracked aluminum tube to tend to first. : :
Old 10-29-2002, 04:37 AM   #9

Ouch, that doesn't sound like fun.

I went out and mesaured up all the velcro and for my 2720SL 30' will be plenty.  I have already ordered the velco also.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:29 PM   #10
2bcs1jrt

Default replacing velcro

I contacted Ed at TM today to get the "professional" opinion on how best to replace my aging velcro. He told me to first clean the surface with mineral spirits and alcohol. Then apply adhesive back velcro with fabric adhesive added for additional strength. Just thought I'd share.

Cheri