TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Interior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Donde1

Question Velcro adhesive is failing

I'm having a Velcro problem.
The problem I am having is the Velcro was replaced in our TM with industrial Velcro before we bought it. It looks as if the job was very well done, all the old adhesive removed, top notch all the way.
The Velcro sticks to its counter part very well, however the adhesive holding the Velcro to the wall is not holding very well at all. I'm thinking some 1/2" flat head sheet metal screws, or a heavy duty adhesive, or maybe both would solve this. Any Ideas, comments, or experience will be much appreciated.

P.S. I've looked (but might have overlooked) thru advance search, keyword Velcro, found many post, but not this issue yet, still looking.
Old 04-29-2006, 11:34 AM   #2
pbuck1

The walls are made of the same material as the kitchen area floor - aluminum with a glossy-ish dimpled painted finish. I could not get my new self-adhesive vinyl tiles to stay stuck to this properly. Until, that is, I discovered vinyl tile adhesive primer which I bought from my local hardware chain. Put down as a primer, this worked like magic.
Since both problems involve sticking a self-stick plastic product to the dimpled aluminum TM material in both cases, I think this stuff would also work for the velcro. I would draw around the velcro first to help keep the primer within the desired area.

Just a suggestion

Paul
Old 04-29-2006, 01:11 PM   #3
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default velcro

The velcro on the walls was coming off in a few places so I took some super glue and put on the back of the velcro. The velcro is sticking really well now. I have had to do this in a few places, and it has lasted over the years. Our 2002 3326 King will be 5 years old in Sept. The super glue has worked the best for me.
Old 04-29-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Donde1

Those sound like good sugestions. Thank you. All superglues aren't the same though, are they? Can I get a good superglue off the shelf at W-mart?
Old 05-01-2006, 06:01 PM   #5
BOB_STRONG
Site Sponsor

Default super glue

I just bought & used the regular super glue. At our local hardware store, they do sell an extra strong super glue, but I never had the need for it.
Old 05-01-2006, 06:39 PM   #6
2bcs1jrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donde1
P.S. I've looked (but might have overlooked) thru advance search, keyword Velcro, found many post, but not this issue yet, still looking.
Funny, cuz that is THE issue with the velcro. It seems to never stick to the wall.
The staples in mine are holding but they're not pretty. (I didn't do it!) When it's time to try again, I sure would like to hear a sure fire fix for this problem myself.
Anyone got a new fix...maybe a better looking one?
Cheri
Old 05-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

When I bought my first TM, the dealer told me that when releasing the velcro, I should NOT simply grab the flap and pull it straight away from the piece on the wall. This encourages the adhesive to let go, and the matching velcro strip pulls away from the wall.

Instead, he said, start at one end, and run your hand along the strip, BETWEEN the two halves of the velcro. This separates it, while putting less force on the adhesive.

Seems to have worked.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote