TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 10-16-2005, 03:53 AM   #1
BrigCA61

Default Thanksgiving dinner in your Trailmanor

We're going to be camping over the Thanksgiving holiday and I was wondering if anyone out there had any good recipes for the occassion. Naturally cooking a whole turkey in the TM oven would be out of the question, but perhaps just pieces would work. May be too cool to bbq one... but thought I'd see if anyone had any good suggestions for trimming a Thanksgiving table in the TM.

Brigitte
Old 10-16-2005, 10:03 AM   #2
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

We've spent 3 Thanksgivings away from home camping (one in the TM) and I've always cooked the turkey at home in the traditional way. We prepare everything ahead of time, keep it simple, and then on Thanksgiving there isn't a big mess to clean up and we can relax more. Plus, we like to have leftovers!

Two years ago we went to the 49er RV Ranch in Colombia (in the Gold Country of CA). They cooked turkey for all the campers who reserved for the meal and just asked that we bring a side dish. It was an amazing feast, there were so many different and tasty foods (and desserts ).

I think that a lot of private campgrounds have community Thanksgiving meals. You might check with the campground and see if they have anything planned.

Wow, it's only 6 weeks away, isn't it!
Old 10-16-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Bill & Lisa

I prepare my "feast" in advance--make up your usual amount and then put the proper portions in Gladware. Of course, you could scale down your recipies beforehand and make everything fresh on site--Not!!!! My turkey is done in the microwave (recipe to follow) and then for your feast all you need to do is heat everything through.

This meal plan is very carb heavy--omitting potatoes and bread is recommended for those who must watch carb intakes, especially if dessert is desired.

Microwave Turkey
1 Glad roasting bag, 1 turkey breast, 1/4 cup white wine, 1 T coriander, 3 T teryaki sauce.

Take the weight of your breast (b) divided by 4. Then multiply by 7 (600-700 watt oven). This is the cook time per quarter if your oven does not have a turntable. You will be flipping the bird breast up or down and rotating it front to back, thus four cooking periods.

Wash your bird well with salt, brine if desired, then rinse well. Place bird and ingredients in roasting bag breast or skin side up (BSU), seal, and place in a mico proof dish. Let marinate for up to a day. Turn bird over on the day you cook-breast side down (BSD). Since the cooking times are so quick, do this early! Just before cooking, puncture the bag near the seal as a steam vent. Place the bird in the oven with the sealed end toward the door and BSD for the first cooking period. Turn the seal to the back of the oven, cook. Flip the bird BSU, seal to door, cook. Rotate seal to back, cook. Let set 5 minutes.

If your oven is equipped with a turntable, divide weight in pounds by 2 then multiply by 7. You will only have to flip the bird. Start with BSD cook, then flip and cook again.

We're not big on so many trimmings so our feast is not so large.

For stuffing I use "doctored" stove top and use the kind I can measure the servings on. Doctoring includes extra onion, parsley, poultry seasoning and de-fatted pan drippings for the moisture in the recipie.

A jar of prepared gravy with boiled egg, a splash of white wine, worchestershire sauce with any added seasonings is just fine. Of course, if you like giblets, prepare them at home and add on site.

Cranberry relish with cardamon, 5 spice, and a little orange marmalade mixed in works great for a homemade taste.

Try green beans dressed up with a little italian dressing, at home toasted almonds, and drained canned pearl onions.

Of course, some sort of bread is a must--use your favorite premade uncooked type brushed with some eggbeaters and sprinkled with sesame or poppy seeds just before you pop them in the oven.

If sweet potatoes are a tradition, try them hawaiian style. At home, peel 2 potatoes, cube to 1/2" and place in a zipper bag with 1 med can pineapple tidbits and its juice. On site, pour into a lined, shallow baking pan and add 2 oz raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg. Bake for 25 min at 350 F. *For the last 10 min, add 1/3 c walnuts and 1/2 c mini marshmallows. if desired After the first 25 min, puree the potatoes (add just enough liquid for adequate processing) add 2 well beaten eggs (and sweetener if desired) and pour into a pre-baked pie shell, then continue from *.

For dessert try Maple Pears topped with ice cream: serves 2
1 whole pear, 3 T maple syrup, 1/2 t each cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice
Wash pear. chop enough off of the bottom to make it stand upright in a large mug. Pour on the syrup and top with spices. Microwave 2-3 minutes or until soft. Split pear and place each half in a dessert dish, top with ice cream, pour sauce over the top. This recipie also works with baking apples.
Old 10-17-2005, 02:30 PM   #4
grampa

Bill & Lisa, you have TMing down to an art and a science. We are going to try some of your recipes next time out. Thanks, Grampa
Old 07-07-2006, 05:44 PM   #5
CamperCoyle

Default Turkey in a Trash Can!

OK - So this is a late (early?) post on the topic, but for the last 3 or 4 years we have gone camping for Thanksgiving and I have cooked our turkey in a trash can! It's great. Here are a few links.

http://www.scoutingthenet.com/Cooking/Turkey/

http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedFo...92/turkey.html

We use a small can because we are only a family of four and it's easy to pack. It works great for a 10-15 pound turkey. It comes out very moist. My aunt is planning to join us this year because she wants to see what all the fuss is about!