TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
AngliaUSA

Default Newbie Question on Electrics, batteries and refrigerator

Hi Guys - Just sold my 1999 29ft Fleetwood Jamboree Class C and bought my first TrailManor 2720 -

A few questions prior to next weekends first camping trip ....

1st up; what is this and what does it do exactly ?

2nd. When I close down the bathroom there is what I think is a battery disconnect switch under the bathroom side-wall panel next to the bed - when released I hear a beep - which I figure is the propane leak detector loosing power and switching off ... yes / no ?

3rd. If that disconnect switch is open and there is no lights or power does the refrigerator still get 12 volts from the batteries if switched to DC mode or does that come from the tow vehicle connection power ?

4th I plan to get the fridge cold via 110 shore power - then I have a 4 hr drive to the beach camp - should I get it running on propane , close the rig down and tow on propane to keep it cold or switch to DC power .... I read that DC power when towing will flatten the back up batteries. Advice please.

FYI. I am running 2 x 6v Interstate GC2-XHD Deep Cycle Batteries

Thank you in advance for you replies.

James
AngliaUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

hello and welcome to the tm world

1. some say that keeps the aliens away but is really the radio antanna booster.
2. yes ,mine does the same.
3. no only back shell power is cut with wall button
4 if only going to be a few hrs, should be ok without either, i have ran up to 8 hrs after being cold and still been good, the do a good job holding temp after getting cold.

am sure others will chime in with help
and again welcome.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
kieranmullen

What is the consumption rate of those refers? I told it was not much anyway. It is suggested for other rvers not to have them on while you are at the gas station. Otherwise they use them. Does the 12VDC option work the refer and the heating element? My understanding it does not the element to heat the ammonia only works on AC. So it would be more efficient on AC or Propane. In DC mode it works using thermoelectric pads which always do a piss poor job of cooling. That being said... I could be completely wrong on everything!
kieranmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:46 PM   #4
rumbleweed

The fridge draws a considerable amount of current in DC mode and will kill your batteries in an hour or two. Unless you upgraded the 12V wire in the TV You will still have battery issues. There is no thermo-elect in the TM fridge. Best bet is to fill the fridge with cold food and run it at home on AC. A full fridge stays cold longer than an empty one. Don't forget to run the Fridge fan ( switch panel under sink) when you operate the fridge with TM closed.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
kieranmullen

if it is not thermoelectric in DC mode what is the fan for?
Old 08-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Cool I wouldn't run propane in motion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
What is the consumption rate of those refers? I told it was not much anyway. It is suggested for other rvers not to have them on while you are at the gas station. Otherwise they use them. Does the 12VDC option work the refer and the heating element? My understanding it does not the element to heat the ammonia only works on AC. So it would be more efficient on AC or Propane. In DC mode it works using thermoelectric pads which always do a piss poor job of cooling. That being said... I could be completely wrong on everything!
Yes, you're completely wrong about the DC side.
There are two different electric heater elements: one for AC (about 170 Watts at 120VAC) and one for DC (about 140 Watts at 12.8 VDC). The propane heater has about the same power as the AC heater. They are all used to heat the ammonia solution, and the refigerator works the same way in all 3 Modes.
If you do the division, you see that 140 Watts/12.8 Volts = nearly 11 Amps. When running down the road, your car alternator should supply a lot of that amperage - through the Bargeman connector, and into the 12V electrical panel. The 12V electrical "distribution panel" receives power from 3 possible sources - the Converter, when the Converter is plugged into 120VAC; the Batteries; and the Tow Vehicle connection (if connected, and higher voltage than the batteries). If stopped for lunch, or some other long break, the only source of power is batteries (TV and Trailmanor). The refrigerator is the biggest 12VDC power consumer in the Trailer, and it will draw down your batteries pretty fast. If your batteries are 80 Ah each, and fully charged, then you could theoretically "break" for about 7 hours before reaching 50% discharge on two batteries. If you leave the Bargeman connector into the TV connected, there is also a possibility of running down the TV battery so far that you will be unable to run the Starter.

In reality, the WFCO converter (if TM still uses that manufacturer) can't charge the battery bank to a genuine 100% level. (IIRC, 85% is more typical - it depends on temperature, total of "phantom loads" including things like the turned-off stereo, and time spent in "trickle charge" mode). So, it's likely that you can safely consume only 30-35% of labeled battery capacity. All those phantom loads continue to consume power during the break. And the downwards-blowing exhaust fan (which MUST be "On" during towing with Fridge powered up) constitutes another small power consumer. After just 2 hours of continuous fridge operation without an exterior power source, you might be in trouble. After 3-4 hours, without TV or Solar to supply a large proportion of the power which will be consumed, you are almost certain to be in trouble.
- - - - -
A good alternator in your TV, and good wiring to the trailer connector, help a lot to keep the fridge running "more from the TV" and less from the TM's own batteries when the TV is running and supplying higher voltage (from the Alternator) than the TM batteries are offering. Solar may also prevent problems: - at 140 Watts actual solar power, which is what I have (My panels are 200 Watts Max), you can run the Fridge on DC with hardly any effect TV or TM batteries between 10 AM and 4 PM.

I wouldn't run propane while towing; an accident could damage tubing or regulators. If one of the tank valves is wide open when that happens, it's a "Very Bad Thing" (tm). It's also illegal in many tunnels. You short trip is no problem, as long as the TV provides considerable power to the Fridge via the Bargeman connector (the towing connector), and you don't stop for more than 1 hour along the way.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #7
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kieranmullen View Post
if it is not thermoelectric in DC mode what is the fan for?
It draws heat away from the heat exchanger - the radiator-like assembly behind the upper of the two removable panels on the outside.

When temps surrounding that unit exceed about 90F, cooling performance begins to suffer. For those people who have added actual thermostat controls for one (or more) exhaust fans, the recommendation is to turn the fans "ON" at 85F, "OFF" at 80F. You need to run the "blow out the bottom" Fan when towing, because the air vents within that upper panel are completely blocked by the lowered front shell.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #8
kieranmullen

GTK - I was thinking about adding an extra deep cycle battery since I have 4 new ones sitting around. They were on a forklift that I purchased and replaced a huge 12V 6 cell battery. (Cost about $1200!) Anyway... the battery box from Amazon was only $12. The battery box currently sits very nicely between 2 L bars welded to the frame but the frame (I believe ) is not wide enough for 2 batteries.

Put the other inside, in the back (for better weight distribution) put the two side by side in a horizontally across the bars (losing the nice bracket which holds it in place)