TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Boondocking and Dry Camping
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default One week "dry" with 2417

Did an 8-night trip dry camping with our 2417. We have the 40-gallon fresh-water tank, and it was just enough. We took 3 showers each (2 of us), and never re-filled the tank.

But, we did find that the grey-water tank only holds 8 gallons, not 13 gallons as the specs indicate. I was taking my shower, and started having water stop draining. Emptied grey water into bucket so I could measure, and got 8 gallons out. Hmmm! May have to check into that!

We moved three times, so the battery only had to sustain us for 4 days without charge. Never seemed to go low. I have put LED bulbs in, so that helps. Ran the heater two nights, and a couple of mornings, and that didn't seem to drain it too much.

Refrigerator kept everything between 27° and 32°, even on a medium setting. Outside temps were in high-70s during the day, so it may be different if it is 90° outside.

This was our first trip of more than one night with the TM. We love it! Showers, hot water, indoor toilet - coming from a canvas popup with none of the above, we were in heaven!

Very glad we got this size, as we go on Forest Service roads for most of our trips. Did some 4-wheeling into our Wyoming campsite (GPS took us on the "most-direct" route, instead of on the "best road" - hence, we ended up on a 4wd trail for 3 miles.) This will be fine for off-road use.

TV (as shown in profile) is a 3.0 liter diesel Grand Cherokee. Normally get about 23 mpg on the highway, but got 15.5 for the full trip. Went up all hills (there were some doozies!) with no problem. Love that Jeep!

Great trip. I will post pics of the area when I have some time.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:29 AM   #2
Redhawk

Good report, I'm in CO, so would be interested in where you were. We went from a tent to the TM, so I know that "this is great" feeling. Good to see you figured out what the TM is all about. They are GREAT! Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Unstable_Tripod

I found that my TrailManor has an unanticipated problem with boondocking on dusty gravel and dirt back roads. The dust gets inside the trailer by coming up through the gap between the wall of the box and the walls of the shells. I was up in northern Arizona and drove 16 miles on gravel and dirt to get to a campsite in a beautiful meadow. Then I spent most of the day leaning the trailer because the dirt was so thick on the floor that I could write my name in it. Dust got everywhere. It got into the cabinets and even into the containers in the cabinets.
Old 08-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Dust

Tripod - I talked to a TM owner a couple blocks from my house, and asked him about dust. I had read someone post about that, but I had not been on gravel roads at that point.

He had an older 3024, and said he never had dust problems, and they do lots of gravel roads. After doing about 15 miles on very dusty roads in Wyoming last week, we had no dust inside.

Could it be that your sides need to be snugged a bit? Seems like the dealer told me that the lift arms could be adjusted, and they did get one side to seal better (first time out I could see sunlight through the street-side vertical seal. They fixed it, and it is snug now.) Just a thought.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #5
PopBeavers

Not counting dirt roads inside of a campground, I have towed about 5 miles one way once and 3 miles one way once. I did not notice any dust.

One of these days I intend to tow into Lake Pillsbury, a lake I went to often as a kid. Haven't been there since 1976. It is 18 miles of fire road one way.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #6
Redhawk

I did a lot of rough long dusty roads when we had the 2619, never had a dust problem. Everything else vibrated loose, but no dust.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #7
Unstable_Tripod

My shells are perfectly adjusted. I did it before the trip. Right heights, level in both directions, travel and torsion properly adjusted, etc. I can't figure out why I got MAJOR dust infiltration and you guys didn't. I'd love to go on the unpaved forest roads and logging roads like I did when I had my Pop-Up tent trailer.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
moaboy

lovetocamp,
sounds like a very enjoyable trip.
hope you have time to share some pics.
no going back to doing without...
Old 08-12-2012, 04:21 PM   #9
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Default Pictures From Glacier National Park

Some of the photos from our Glacier National Park trip are in my album (link below).

Enjoy!

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...hp?albumid=145
Old 08-12-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

wow
those are some nice pic, thank you for sharing, another place on the list,

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I