TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
Brifla

Default Questions after examining used 3023

Hi, I spent several hours checking out a 2006 3023 today that's being sold by a 3rd party dealer (after repo auction) who is unfamiliar with Trailmanors. Most of the big ticket items seemed fine but I have a few questions that hopefully can be answered here as I consider my next move.

1. The carbon monoxide and gas sensors weren't on initially when we entered the camper but at some point during walkthrough we noticed both had the solid green light on. Then later the lights were off and never came back on. We wondered if there was some other switch we could have changed that caused these to go on and off.
2. The curtains are missing from 4 of the windows (2 dinette and 2 double bed side windows). Is there somewhere to buy these curtains that slide in the top and bottom of the curtain tracks? If so, where and what's approximate cost?
3. The rear right scissor jack is bent inward. They offered to bend it back and said it's no big deal. Should I be concerned about metal fatigue from this?
4. They said that the trailer bearings are sealed and don't need grease added but I assumed these trailers are similar to my boat trailer and need a grease gun. Is this true and do I simply pop out the rubber insert at the end of each axle and pump some lithium grease in before trailering? I won't have time to get them repacked before trailering 400 miles home and the tires look fine.
5. Several of the hold down latches were so stiff that they had to be kicked to get them to swing close and lock the trailer down. Is this simply a matter of WD-40 or a minor adjustment?
6. There aren't any hoses with the camper (sewer, etc). They said buying a hose package is not very expensive. Is this true? What hoses and outside equipment is necessary that I'm not seeing there?
7. All of the stove burners and oven had to be lit with a lighter because the ignition switches weren't working. After that they worked fine. The seller says this is common in all older trailers and not a big issue that people bother fixing. Is this true? Any larger problem looming here?
8. There are some plastic cover-type pieces (about 3" x 10") on the outside on each side that are missing. They attach with a screw at each end but appear mainly cosmetic. What do they do and do I need them/can I get replacements?

It needs some TLC (torn screen, dirt, mildew, loose screws, slide adjustments, etc) but appears structurally and mechanically sound aside from these issues. We're just trying to gauge these things that we found.
Thanks,
Brian
Old 01-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Quote:
1. The carbon monoxide and gas sensors weren't on initially when we entered the camper but at some point during walkthrough we noticed both had the solid green light on. Then later the lights were off and never came back on. We wondered if there was some other switch we could have changed that caused these to go on and off.
There is a hidden switch at the base of the rear bathroom wall that turns on power to the sensors and rear shell lights when the wall is raised.

Quote:
2. The curtains are missing from 4 of the windows (2 dinette and 2 double bed side windows). Is there somewhere to buy these curtains that slide in the top and bottom of the curtain tracks? If so, where and what's approximate cost?
Curtains can be ordered from the factory, but you may have to get full sets to match -- i don't know for sure. You could possibly find someone locally to custom make them for you. See this post for some more info:

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=12558

Quote:
3. The rear right scissor jack is bent inward. They offered to bend it back and said it's no big deal. Should I be concerned about metal fatigue from this?
If it can be bent back and it is still functional, may be ok -- otherwise replace it

Tim
Old 01-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

To answer some of your questions.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brifla View Post
There is a switch that turns off this combo detector unit, and it gets turned on when the rear bathroom wall is erected. Conversely, it is turned off it is folded.

Quote:
You can buy them from the factory, but folks here have reported they are pricey in the past -- I think someone just mentioned $500 for a new set for the whole trailer. But I would simply call the factory to get a quote.

Quote:
Is it the jack that is just bent, and not the frame? If it's just the jack, I wouldn't worry about -- I would just bend it back. It's purpose is simply to support some weight of the trailer to stabilize it from shaking when you're walking around. It's failure is not catastrophic; your trailer would just shake a bit, and at the point, you'd just buy another one for $50-$100.

Quote:
4. They said that the trailer bearings are sealed and don't need grease added but I assumed these trailers are similar to my boat trailer and need a grease gun. Is this true and do I simply pop out the rubber insert at the end of each axle and pump some lithium grease in before trailering? I won't have time to get them repacked before trailering 400 miles home and the tires look fine.
The manufacturer says they should be routinely greased, but because folks have had their systems fail and got grease all over the brakes, I don't do this. Instead, I tear down the bearings every other year and repack them. No problems, and I put on alot of miles. My preference would be to get them repacked, since you don't know the history; you could take them to a shop before you get on the road and have them do it for $100. If you don't do that, I would at the very least keep checking them every 10-20 miles until you are confident they are not heating up.

They are not like the Bearing Buddy systems on boats, however -- totally different. It's made by Dexter Axle, and called their "EZ Lube" system. Here's a diagram that shows what it is.

Quote:
5. Several of the hold down latches were so stiff that they had to be kicked to get them to swing close and lock the trailer down. Is this simply a matter of WD-40 or a minor adjustment?
You definitely should not have to kick them closed. Sounds like they are adjusted too tight. Simple to fix -- simply rotate the clasp to lengthen its reach. When you close them, they should be firmly attached, but definitely not super tight, and certainly not as tight as you describe. You can end up pulling the catch screws out of the wood.

Quote:
6. There aren't any hoses with the camper (sewer, etc). They said buying a hose package is not very expensive. Is this true? What hoses and outside equipment is necessary that I'm not seeing there?
Hoses are cheap. You'll need a fresh water hose to fill the TM with potable water -- maybe $20-$40, depending on length. They're usually white and are specifically labeled for drinking water, but other than that, look like garden hoses from outward appearances. Lots of them here. You'll also need a sewer hose, which looks like a giant slinky, and a fitting on the end to attach it to the TM. Maybe $30-$50, again depending on length, and also manufacturer hype. Those are here.

Quote:
7. All of the stove burners and oven had to be lit with a lighter because the ignition switches weren't working. After that they worked fine. The seller says this is common in all older trailers and not a big issue that people bother fixing. Is this true? Any larger problem looming here?
The stoves standard in the TM's do not have spark igniters, and must always be lit with a lighter of some sort. I use a flint lighter, and those stupid butane lighters always die on me, no matter how much I spend on them. You can add the spark igniters as a retrofit, as a few members have done here. Or you buy a $5 flint lighter that lasts 20 years.

Quote:
8. There are some plastic cover-type pieces (about 3" x 10") on the outside on each side that are missing. They attach with a screw at each end but appear mainly cosmetic. What do they do and do I need them/can I get replacements?
Do they cover the spot where those rectangular tubes attach the shells to the torsion bars underneath? If so, I believe those are factory parts, and they should be able to provide replacements. I think they're just cosmetic.

Quote:
It needs some TLC (torn screen, dirt, mildew, loose screws, slide adjustments, etc) but appears structurally and mechanically sound aside from these issues. We're just trying to gauge these things that we found.
Sounds great, Brian! The forum is a great resource, so if you need anything along the way, someone will be here to give you a hand. Welcome!

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #4
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

nobody mentioned the tires, you may want to check the DOT date code and replace them if they are about 3 to 4 years old, there have been a lot of tire failures reported on this forum. A 6 year camper is likely to still have the original tires. My thought FWIW

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #5
rumbleweed

You will most likely need a new battery as well. Even if you do not plan to boondock, you will need it to operate the emergency brake system should the TM detach from the TV. It also come is very handy if there is a power failure in the campground. You still have water, heat and lights as well as safety devices. Might be a good last minute negotiating point to have the dealer throw one in. Also check the DOT dates on the propane tanks.
Old 01-28-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Bluegrass

One correction to ShrimpBurrito - Later model TMs DO have a spark igniter for the stove. Not a big deal. But you can still ignite manually like the dealer said.
Old 01-28-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
T and C
TrailManor Master

Regarding the stove burners, you said that they "worked fine after that". Did you mean they burned after being lit, or that the spark igniters did the job after one lighting with a lighter?

My stove in our 2008 3023 has the spark igniters. Since I turn off the gas at the tanks when I close it, it always takes several seconds before the burners will light for the first time, and then they work just fine after that.

If the burners don't light for over 15 seconds, I would open the door and wait a minute before trying again. I once lost my eyebrows after trying to light a heater in a truck camper. I had held the pilot valve open for 30 seconds or so and then used a match.

WOOSH!!! Fire shot out two feet into the air in front of the heater as the propane burned off.

Once burned, twice shy.

Tom

TV 2010 F-150 4.6, factory tow pkg, air bags
T and C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:33 AM   #8
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

sounds like most members here have answered your most pressing questions well. The tires are very likely original and should be replaced soon. just for curiosity.... with all these small to medium issues, how much are they asking for the price?

rv

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Just to be clear - I'm not at all sure that the 2006 model TM had piezo igniters for the stove top or oven. I know that my 2006 2720SL did not have them. Anyone know if piezo igniters showed up in the middle of the model year?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass View Post
One correction to ShrimpBurrito - Later model TMs DO have a spark igniter for the stove. Not a big deal. But you can still ignite manually like the dealer said.
Good to know! Thanks for correcting me.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote