TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 08:38 PM   #1
kingo369

Post 2008 2720 SL Front Corner Trim/Molding

I have researched and searched for a TM for over two years and have just recently purchased a used 2008 2720 SL in Texas. For the most part, the TM has lived up to my expectations.

On my way back home to Canada I noticed in my side view mirror that the trim/corner molding was flapping a bit. Nothing was noticeable for the first 2000 km's and I was monitoring closely. When safe to do so I pulled over to inspect and could see that the only thing holding it on was a silicone sealant and it would just eventually blow off.

In the TM forum, Buck Mills (My Maiden TM Trip) had the same problem but I didn't have any duct tape available. I slowed to 55mph on the interstate and was going to exit at the next town. (In Wyoming they are not that close together) The trim blew off in a gust of wind and after stopping in a safe place, I walked back a 1/4 mile to retrieve the molding.

I noticed that Buck Mills did not get a response to his question and could not find any thread with a similar problem.

Has anyone else had this problem? Other than just glueing it back on with silicone, would it be ok to screw it on also?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
brulaz

No duct tape? tsk-tsk ...

Not sure about the corner pieces, and they may well be different. But much of the other plastic trim can be purchased from the factory and comes with an adhesive backing. ShrimpBurrito talks about how he fixed his in this thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?t=10191

EDIT: nice photo by the way ...
Old 05-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #3
dugb527

I had the same thing happen to me last year, only when I went back to retrieve it from the highway it had been run over a few times and was pretty beat up. I put it back on with white duct tape (I always carry some) and covered all the damaged parts with the tape as well and went on my way.

I bought the replacement trim piece from the factory and am going to glue it on this week. The factory told me to use high quality clear silicone adhesive and duct tape it down as tight as possible to dry and then caulk as needed.

I hope the tape holds it down tight enough. I have my doubts, but will let you know.

Doug

Tags
exterior trim