TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #11
BradS7535

I see everyone's point in some knowledge possibly getting "lost" by having chat conversations instead of posting it in a thread. The same could be said for PMs, that is a private conversation between 2 people and the information would not be available to others.

As Tom said above (in a way) is that he prefers to have a conversation, and that is what seems to happen a lot in these threads; a very slow conversation (sometimes days between responses). When going back and looking for information it becomes a time consuming exercise to find the information you are looking for sometimes. There are threads 10+ pages long and you've got to read through all the posts, all the back and forth questions, answers, discussions etc to find the answer.

My thoughts and what I am going to try to do is take it upon myself to document/share information that I have learned from these "conversations". A chat room would allow me to ask questions back and forth in "real time" to get all the info I need without cluttering up or creating a 10+ page thread over several days or weeks to get an answer. For example my Solar Installation FAQ thread, I've got tons of questions and I've received lots of answers, but obviously at a much slower rate as not everyone checks the forum every day. I am planning on taking all the information I have received, both from the thread, and any private PMs and put it into a .pdf for the Technical Library.

This forum is only as helpful as we all decide to make it. If you have a PM with another member and keep that information to yourself, then yes...that is not a very good system. If we all took the time to consolidate our personal knowledge and the knowledge gained from others into a single source (like an installation manual, or FAQ) and we place that in the Tech Library, it becomes much easier to find the info you are looking for, instead of searching the boards, trying to find correct threads (from poorly name thread titles), looking through pages in each thread and all the posts...etc.

In my current job there is a big push for "Knowledge Management". There is a ton of information available on this site, and some of it is easier to find than others. A chat room is another way to share knowledge in a more "real-time" manner rather than posting a thread, or sending a PM. In the end, the system is only as useful/helpful as how you decide to use it. I for one appreciate all the knowledgeable people here and want to contribute as much as I can by consolidating information gathered from multiple sources (threads, PMs, chat) into a single source (pdf) in the Tech Library.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

P.S. I may be the youngest guy here, which may explain the differences in opinion (generational thing).
Old 06-30-2016, 02:11 PM   #12
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Brad, maybe a better solution would be to encourage us to use the Tags feature. Each time we start a thread, add Tags to the posting. If we offer an answer to a thread/question, if we can add a more-precise Tag, maybe that would help.

I have never used Tags on this forum, but maybe that will also help find answers. It appears the Tags follow a thread, though, and not a specific post. I could be wrong, though. I would like Tags to be post-specific, to make finding answers easier. Not sure if that is possible, though.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #13
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Lightbulb that's a great idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS7535 View Post
I see everyone's point in some knowledge possibly getting "lost" by having chat conversations instead of posting it in a thread. The same could be said for PMs, that is a private conversation between 2 people and the information would not be available to others.

As Tom said above (in a way) is that he prefers to have a conversation, and that is what seems to happen a lot in these threads; a very slow conversation (sometimes days between responses). When going back and looking for information it becomes a time consuming exercise to find the information you are looking for sometimes. There are threads 10+ pages long and you've got to read through all the posts, all the back and forth questions, answers, discussions etc to find the answer.

My thoughts and what I am going to try to do is take it upon myself to document/share information that I have learned from these "conversations". A chat room would allow me to ask questions back and forth in "real time" to get all the info I need without cluttering up or creating a 10+ page thread over several days or weeks to get an answer. For example my Solar Installation FAQ thread, I've got tons of questions and I've received lots of answers, but obviously at a much slower rate as not everyone checks the forum every day. I am planning on taking all the information I have received, both from the thread, and any private PMs and put it into a .pdf for the Technical Library.

This forum is only as helpful as we all decide to make it. If you have a PM with another member and keep that information to yourself, then yes...that is not a very good system. If we all took the time to consolidate our personal knowledge and the knowledge gained from others into a single source (like an installation manual, or FAQ) and we place that in the Tech Library, it becomes much easier to find the info you are looking for, instead of searching the boards, trying to find correct threads (from poorly name thread titles), looking through pages in each thread and all the posts...etc.

In my current job there is a big push for "Knowledge Management". There is a ton of information available on this site, and some of it is easier to find than others. A chat room is another way to share knowledge in a more "real-time" manner rather than posting a thread, or sending a PM. In the end, the system is only as useful/helpful as how you decide to use it. I for one appreciate all the knowledgeable people here and want to contribute as much as I can by consolidating information gathered from multiple sources (threads, PMs, chat) into a single source (pdf) in the Tech Library.

I'll get off my soapbox now.

P.S. I may be the youngest guy here, which may explain the differences in opinion (generational thing).
As to the PM's.... most are just that. A conversation between two parties who are just sharing things other than shop talk...not to say that doesn't happen...it does, but the PM is just that...Private...and usually doesn't concern others anyways. I know I would hate to be read the riot act in front of the whole world.

You might start your on blog and have a chat site on it along with the mountains of information about TMers and the folks that OWN and contribute to the cause (instead of stooping so low to insult others). This will be a major undertaking though should you decide to do it. Heck I know, even with my puny little website it still was/is a lot of work. But I do it, not to toot my own horn, but to share with others what I believe will make the TM a more desirable and fun thing. It's not about me but about helping others. Seems you are in the right frame of mind. More power to you and I hope you're not married. It's going to be a long ride my friend. Feel free to copy anything you want from my site. Go Get Em Tiger!
Tom
lnt123@att.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #14
hoverlover

Quote:
Besides, chat rooms are too much trouble .... plus if there is a problem and it gets resolved there is a good chance that just the party's involved will know the outcome and there will be no way to recover that information. I personally HATE chat lines as well as texting. Why text and have to punch in a bunch of letters when one can simply have a conversation??? MUCH easier!
I'm all about easy!
Tom

I agree with all but the texting. Texting can avert a long conversation, if desired. So.... no to chat room.
hoverlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:40 PM   #15
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Default well I guess...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoverlover View Post
Besides, chat rooms are too much trouble .... plus if there is a problem and it gets resolved there is a good chance that just the party's involved will know the outcome and there will be no way to recover that information. I personally HATE chat lines as well as texting. Why text and have to punch in a bunch of letters when one can simply have a conversation??? MUCH easier!
I'm all about easy!
Tom

"Texting can avert a long conversation, if desired. So.... no to chat room.

If it's your mother-in-law, texting could come in handy!
Tom
Old 06-30-2016, 09:44 PM   #16
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Former owners very knowledgeable

Tom, don't discourage former owners from contributing and posting. Many are extremely knowledgeable and have provided invaluable help in the past and are willing to continue to impart their wisdom.

You may have not liked meicon's quip but many of us were amused based on MANY of your previous comments. You often come off as aggressive towards others and yet clearly have very thin skin as you can't let the slightest comment pass.

I have stopped myself from commenting many times and this will be my only comments on that topic. Take it for what it's worth....just my opinion.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:59 AM   #17
[email protected]
BannedUsers

Exclamation Oh Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
Tom, don't discourage former owners from contributing and posting. Many are extremely knowledgeable and have provided invaluable help in the past and are willing to continue to impart their wisdom.

You may have not liked meicon's quip but many of us were amused based on MANY of your previous comments. You often come off as aggressive towards others and yet clearly have very thin skin as you can't let the slightest comment pass.

I have stopped myself from commenting many times and this will be my only comments on that topic. Take it for what it's worth....just my opinion.
And some are insulting for no good reason!
How would you like it if he called your trailer a piece of sh*t to your face on the forum? Do you think that is becoming? Is that the way an adult should act. I never ever did a thing to this guy and this comes at me out of the blue. I don't know this person and have never even mentioned his name, handle or anything else that someone might call him...and believe me I now have a lot I could call him, but I will not stoop to his sophomoric behavior. It may not look like much but I take great pride in my TM...and, of all of my comments I have NEVER insulted anyone on the forum to their face. I bet you wouldn't like it either....I NEVER EVER mention people by name unless it is to praise them for a good job done or a brilliant idea. But to single them out for ridicule in a public forum, that's not right! I guess it's ok with you but not with me. If I don't stand up for myself then who will....YOU? From the looks of things I think not! I bet you wouldn't want your child acting like this guy now would you? Let me ask you this...how would you like it if someone you never even knew existed or ever even mentioned in your entire life, started putting you down in front of the whole world? I guess YOU would go celebrate and be happy as if you won the Loto. SORRY...I'm not wired that way and was taught different by my parents. Me,.... first I wonder "why in the world is this person acting like this...and then when it happens again, I get MAD!
NOW... I am going to say this to every single person (even you Mark) on the forum...yes I do have my opinions about STUFF...not people,, STUFF...and I do posses a great since of humor which is usually the context that I make comments on....I NEVER wish to cause anyone on this forum any discomfort and I WOULD NEVER INSULT ANYONE BY NAME....even if I had a reason. I am a lover and NOT a jerk like some.....if by an outside reason you are offended then accept my apology as it will never be intended!!!
Nuff Said!
Tom
Old 07-01-2016, 05:51 AM   #18
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

WOW. Opinions are like holes and you have many......

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:47 AM   #19
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

WOW. All of this from a two line comment that didn't mention your trailer at all. Sometimes if you ignore a jab it goes away, flies under the radar, and isn't blown out of proportion. That is what I would tell my child. Instead you have done nothing more than turn a small flame into a towering inferno. Sorry I wasn't planning to comment anymore on this but how can one ignore that. Please for the sake of your wife and your blood pressure...laugh it off. It's not worth the stress.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 06:50 AM   #20
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey'sMom View Post
WOW. All of this from a two line comment that didn't mention your trailer at all. Sometimes if you ignore a jab it goes away, flies under the radar, and isn't blown out of proportion. That is what I would tell my child. Instead you have done nothing more than turn a small flame into a towering inferno. Sorry I wasn't planning to comment anymore on this but how can one ignore that. Please for the sake of your wife and your blood pressure...laugh it off. It's not worth the stress.

Well spoken Sara

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote