TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 05-04-2006, 09:27 PM   #1
coyotejoe

Lightbulb Got Pics?

I just bought a brand new 2006 3124KB with a bunch of the options. If anyone would like photos of anything specific, or even if you just have some questions about this model, please feel free to ask.

I love it!

2006 3124KB:
40-gallon fresh water tank ($73.00) ♥♥♥♥♥!
Microwave box w/drawer ($129.00) ♥♥♥♥
Awning ($899.00) ♥♥♥
Panel at sofas ($86.00) ♥♥♥
A/C unit with heater ($1007.00) ♥♥♥♥♥
Hanging kitchen cabinet ($129.00) ♥♥♥♥
TV antenna w/amplifier ($206.00) ♥♥♥
--------------------------------
Total options: $2,529.00

♥♥♥ = Nice to have, but pricey for what you get
♥♥♥♥ = Very nice to have, even at the price
♥♥♥♥♥ = Must have, worth every penny!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #2
Doug W.

With the exception of the 40 gallon fresh water tank and the panel at sofas, those are pretty normal options.

The reason not everyone gets the 40 gallon fresh water tank is it is not offered on the units with sliders. I have a 3124KS and I am thinking of trying to add another fresh water tank in the cabinet to the right of the sink and frig. Has anyone even done this?

I do not know what the panel at the sofas is. I have the microwave in place of the gas oven. It is a convection oven, microwave and toaster. I wish I had the gas oven for dry camping but I got a great deal on a used 2005 3124KS, so I will take what I got. I have my trusty dutch oven I can when dry camping. I have made cakes, biscuits, cobblers and a bunch of other stuff it the old dutch oven. I might buy one of the new cast aluminum one to save weight over my old cast iron one though. I also have a reflector oven I can use outside by the fire also.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
ma23peas

I would love to see pictures! We just went and looked at one yesterday...we are trying to decide if TM is right for our family.

Thanks in advance!
Tara
Old 06-06-2006, 03:39 PM   #4
Jim-NY

Default Aluminum Dutch Oven Meltdown

Doug,

If you have not been burning food in the iron oven, you're probably going to be OK with aluminum. But for what it's worth...40 years ago as a Boy Scout, I would cook cakes, brownies, and pies in my mother’s aluminum Dutch Oven. I would build the fire in advance, let it die down and put the Dutch Oven on/in the hot coals and put some coals on top. Pretty standard procedure I believe. My results were surprisingly good.

Then one day the coals I buried the pot in were too hot. I smelled my pie burning well before I thought it should have been finished cooking. I tried pulling the Dutch Oven out of the fire and it fell apart like it was made of Play Doe. It must have been just about to melt. Burning the pie did not surprise me too much, but destroying the oven sure did.

Since then I have only used an iron Dutch Oven. Now that I have traded my tent up to a TM, I will probably use the propane oven. But, if I were to go back to Dutch Oven cooking for the fun of it, I would hope my maturity would bring a better sense of how hot was too hot. Or use a system to judge the heat such as how many seconds I can hold my hand over it at a set distance. You may do something like that already to better control the oven temperature.

Bottom line, I would consider aluminum to save weight, but I would be careful not to get it too hot.

Jim
Old 06-06-2006, 05:40 PM   #5
Magdefrau

Adding another fresh water container is a great ideal.
Old 06-06-2006, 11:17 PM   #6
Doug W.

Jim,

I got my cast iron dutch oven when the Boy Scout troop I was in replaced all of their's with aluminum ones. It was a little rusted, but only $10. I have cooked plenty in both. In fact I have a reflector oven also. I will use the electric oven if I have hookups, but that is not an option when dry camping.

My personal favorite Boy Scout story is we had a new leader that was trying to top me and another guy cooking. We were both around 40 and were both Eagle Scouts and had been leaders for years. He gave up the day he came into camp and we were cooking an apple and a cherry pie in a cardboard box lined with foil. I could have used my reflector oven, but that would not have had the impact of the cardboard box. He still cooked and still tried new stuff, but was not trying to top us. He also starting asking about our tricks we learned over the years. I also thought it was stupid when they insisted I got training. My troop was pretty creative when I was young, so I taught the people teaching the class a few tricks.

Doug