TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #1
Scottie Dogs

Default Getting ready for retirement.

My wife will retire in January, I have been retired for 3 years, this is why we got the new Explorer and 2006 TM. Thanks to my TM friends I have the hanging flat screen TV solved and so many other things too because of this site.

We plan to do long trips and I do need communication world/family and every campground does not offer a nice service for that, cable/wi-fi. Next month we are getting the I-Phone 5 when it comes out and also I have been looking at the (Dish Lets Watch TV) Pay-as-you-go TV) The monthly rate is $34.99, just call and you are connected, it is good for a month and I think that is a cool thing, well worth it, no contract. We have been going to so many places where we can’t get nothing for evening entertainment. (OK you young TM owners give us old timers a break, HA!) Anyway we will have a laptop on board just in case we are in a park that has wi-fi, if not the I-phone will be ok for a visit for a few nights. I know the I-pad is good but we need satellite phone connection we never had a I-phone.

We are starting this new adventure a little early but that is how I am. We have had 5 RV’s in our 46 years of marriage and this one is the best for us lots of room and fits in the garage.

Would appreciate any advice.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scotch-and-Bourbon-copy687.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	6394  
Old 08-30-2011, 06:51 PM   #2
purpleg

I've got an Ipad with 3G so it works anywhere a cell phone will work, $14.99 a month for the service. Love it. I no longer tote my laptop around. I got a cheap 10cents a minute phone because I hardly ever use the phone, I mostly email and facebook on the ipad. I got rid of the fancy android phone (iphone lookalike) because I couldnt see the darn screen, my eyes went crazy just trying to read those little emails, maps and websites. Ipad is much bigger and better.
I took the tv out of the camper. If we go on a longer trip, I will take an old laptop to watch DVDs and stop at a RedBox and get some movies wherever we are ($1 a night). It's the most efficient, economical way I could think of to do it.
Congrats on being retired. Enjoy your travels.

pg
Old 08-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #3
Scottie Dogs

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleg View Post
I've got an Ipad with 3G so it works anywhere a cell phone will work, $14.99 a month for the service. Love it. I no longer tote my laptop around. I got a cheap 10cents a minute phone because I hardly ever use the phone, I mostly email and facebook on the ipad. I got rid of the fancy android phone (iphone lookalike) because I couldnt see the darn screen, my eyes went crazy just trying to read those little emails, maps and websites. Ipad is much bigger and better.
I took the tv out of the camper. If we go on a longer trip, I will take an old laptop to watch DVDs and stop at a RedBox and get some movies wherever we are ($1 a night). It's the most efficient, economical way I could think of to do it.
Congrats on being retired. Enjoy your travels.

pg
Thanks for this GEAT information, we are still learning with all this new tech stuff. 10 years from now it will all be so different.

Dave
Old 08-30-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

We both just retired and are figuring out how to be on the road and keep in touch also. We just got the small Samsung Galaxy. It is a tablet that has wi-fi. We needed a way to communicate and this seemed to be a good way for us to go. It has GPS. It is only $30 a month and we can check e-mail and do what we need to on line. We don’t use the phone much but I think you can use Skype to do that also. I found this link the other day but have not had time to check it out.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...voice-how.html

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:32 AM   #5
nicknsandy

Default Getting ready for retirement.

Purpleg. Where did you get your 3G coverage for 14.99 /mo? and how many minuets or GB do you get to download? What Company and where are you located. I haven't found anything close to that in the north east.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:27 PM   #6
purpleg

nicknsandy -
I live in Maine. I got my ipad at BestBuy. It has wifi and 3G. I got the 3G service by signing up on the ipad through AT&T. I just clicked on the Settings button and clicked on Cellular Data tab, clicked on the account button and set up an account. It's $14.99 per month. That's for 250 mb of data (not gb). If I use all the data before the month is over, I get an email to purchase more if I want. I've never purchased more. I only got close to the 250 mb in the first month because I was downloading apps. I learned to first download the apps on my computer into Itunes, then just load them onto the ipad.
There was also a $40 a month plan but I have no interest in that. You'd want that if you were going to be watching movies and videos and news channels. I think it's the same price everywhere. Verizon had something similar for about$20 a month, but that's on ipads bought at Verizon stores.
Old 08-31-2011, 05:09 PM   #7
brulaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
We both just retired and are figuring out how to be on the road and keep in touch also. We just got the small Samsung Galaxy. It is a tablet that has wi-fi. We needed a way to communicate and this seemed to be a good way for us to go. It has GPS. It is only $30 a month and we can check e-mail and do what we need to on line. We don’t use the phone much but I think you can use Skype to do that also. I found this link the other day but have not had time to check it out.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-gal...voice-how.html
We do this in Canada.

The Samsung Galaxy Tablet can link to external Wifi Hotspots, or access the internet on it's own from the 3G cell network (we use Rogers; upto 5GB/mo for $35). When it's on the 3G cell network, you can set it up to be your own Wifi hotspot and use your other computers to access the internet through it.

It also has Google Maps with the built in GPS for navigation, a built in camera, blue-tooth and a bunch of other apps you can download.

It works so well, it's our only source of internet connectivity in Canada. We dropped our ADSL connection soon after we got it.

In the States, we use Verizon's Mifi hotspot primarily because we still have a 2-year contract, and Verizon allows you to suspend operation without payment when we're not down there. Once that expires, I may try to get a Verizon sim card for the Samsung Galaxy Tablet.
Old 08-31-2011, 08:52 AM   #8
ggallas1979

Default Satellite

I picked up a Winegard carry out portable satellite dish last week. Works great and automatically locks into the satellites. I just take my home receiver with me since we have directv at the house. Camping World had them for 699.00 with the presidents club discount.