TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2022, 03:39 PM   #1
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Default kitchen sink strainer replacement.

I have to re-putty the kitchen sink strainer and we are having a devil of time getting the large lock-nut off of the bottom of the strainer!! It is really! well! attached!!! I think it was siliconed on, and you can hear crud grinding, so as we unscrewed it (even getting it started was a challenge), the crud was getting jammed up in the threads. And it is now completely jammed up. Can't even tighten it anymore. Need a bigger set of channel-locs!

In case I end up breaking it (good chance, since it's plastic) anyone know if I'm looking for another straight-forward kitchen sink strainer of the same size, or is there anything cute and TM-ish about this one?
Old 09-21-2022, 07:41 PM   #2
Kidkraz
Site Sponsor

Deb Mac, use a hair dryer on high heat, it will soften the putty. Hoping that it is putty. On the strainer, I use this one. Works well. Good luck with the removal.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 Dodge Ram 1500 V8 Hemi
Installed powered folding tow mirrors

Stopped playing with airplanes, now I just enjoy watching them fly by.
Kidkraz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:20 PM   #3
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Thanks. I’ll have to haul the generator to the storage yard to use a hair dryer. But I want to charge the battery up anyway, so probably try that on Saturday. The actual putty under the ring is not the problem. We got the lock nut partly unscrewed, but reached a point where it just won’t move. But the whole drain/strainer now spins around in the sink. I’m pretty sure that it’s going to end up breaking before it comes off. So thanks for the suggestion of the replacement. It looks like a good fit.
Old 09-22-2022, 05:27 PM   #4
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Well no way to stabilize the basket - plastic snapped! So plan B - 12v multitool. Cut it off and replaced it with new.
Old 11-02-2022, 12:18 PM   #5
Ed--swGA
Site Sponsor

I am working on the kitchen sink drain as well. Leaking, of course. I don't understand how this plastic drain is attached to the sink. I have disconnected the drain line and I don't see any threads that attach the drain/strainer to the stainless ring in the topside of the sink. When I turn the drain from the underside, the whole drain spins around in the sink. I see what I believe to be the edge of the gasket from the underside, just not sure how to proceed. I have a 2013 3124KS. Ideas, please!
Ed--swGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #6
Deb Mac
Site Sponsor

Same thing for me. Spun around in the sink. Tried everything. The strainer is originally installed using silicone instead of plumber’s putty i think. And I think what happened is that silicone (and other debris over time) is caught in the threads of the lock nut. It’s a standard sink strainer. Being plastic, it’s easy to jam up those threads. I could not get it to unscrew. Had to get the multitool out and cut it off and replace the whole thing. I used plumber’s putty on the new piece. Will probably replace it with a metal strainer - more robust and works better with plumber’s putty than the chrome plated plastic.
Old 11-05-2022, 12:33 PM   #7
Ed--swGA
Site Sponsor

I had to cut mine off with the multitool as well. Procedure: I cut a small vertical slit through the large retaining ring and then rotated the strainer 180 degrees and did the same on that side. Then used a flat blade screwdriver to snap the retaining ring off. Then lifted the whole thing right out. I noticed that the plastic drain had been attached with plumber's putty as it should have been, but it did not have the paper gasket that goes underneath the rubber gasket on the underside. Maybe that's why it was impossible to screw off the retaining ring, but I'm not even sure that a plastic drain would come with that paper gasket. A final note: I did replace the plastic strainer with a new stainless steel one, and I bought a 3-way Plumber's Wrench from the orange big box store to help in tightening the new retaining ring. Reconnected the pipes, and no leaks. Done! Thanks for your help.
Ed--swGA is offline   Reply With Quote