TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2022, 11:12 AM   #11
Shane826
TrailManor Master

It’s caused by water intrusion causing the glue between the aluminum and foam to fail and/or snow load. Check out my parts TM that I picked up, this is from leaving it outside over a New Jersey winter. Plus I’m pretty sure my 3326 failed because the previous owner left it outside over the winter in Ohio and it also had a bit of a leak.
Shane826 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
coralcruze

When you say water intrusion causing the glue to fail... how is water getting into the area where the foam and glue is? I inspected my roof seam and it's intact. There is no delamination of the aluminum from foam anywhere but at the AC in one small are and that part is exposed and bone dry.

It's interesting what you say about leaving it outside I. The winter. Are these campers not allowed to be stored outside? I can see excessive snow load being an issue for the roof but if you cover the TM in the winter and remove snow when it accumulates don't see that being an issue. I can however see an issue with those that are seeing a major sag in the roof and water and ice is allowed to sit on the roof during winter months sure. This is why if a saging roof is not taken care of immediately could lead to worsening conditions to rhe point the roof would not be repairable due to delamination.
coralcruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 12:30 PM   #13
Shane826
TrailManor Master

You seem to think the seam is the problem. Maybe you’re right. Or here’s another theory; It’s probably a bit stronger along that seam considering the outer skin pieces overlap each other opposed to butting up against each other end to end. The foam core is one solid piece. And if I’m not mistaken, the interior ceiling is one piece (I could be wrong there). Point being, the roof is for all intents and purposes one pieces. It’s not two separate halves being held together by a trim piece with 3M tape.

coralcruze said “For me purchasing two new caps would cost way more than what I paid for my TM used.”

Yep, it sure did. But it cost about the same as buying another 12 year old used TM in top shape, but now it’s all brand new up top.

coralcruze said “Not to have a factory solution for a sag or one that is developing is not a good thing though.”

Except if you look at all the TMs out there that are 10-15+ years old that DON’T have saggy roofs, maybe it isn’t such a common issue overall? Remember these are designed to be stored in a garage. All the ones I’ve seen with droopy roofs definitely were not stored indoors, and most of them have so many layers of goop all over the roof that it’s clear they were chasing a water leak for a while.

I dunno. I’m just glad the folks at TM are willing to help restore an older unit. Most other manufacturers would refer you to a dealer to buy a new one if you asked them to rebuild a 15 year old camper. Chevy doesn’t have a factory solution for the rocker panels and cab corners rusting out on my 15 year old truck, and they sure aren’t interested in restoring it either.

Can I ask how old your TM is, and how long ago you bought it?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 06-15-2022, 01:20 PM   #14
coralcruze

The seam is def. a weak link. Although stronger because of an overlap its unfortunately weakened by two holes cut for an ac and a skylight and in some models two skylights. If you don't think the seam is weakened by this fact please don't take my word for it and look at the multitude of threads here. I am mearly repeating what I have read by guys on this thread that know about this issue. The ac is too heavy for this condition. The interior cieling is not one piece and in fact has the same seam hidden by wiring channels on the cieling. The foam being one piece does little for the structural integrity of the shell being foam. Having said that composite ls can be very strong however have you seen a unibody car without spot welds? Or without bent ridges? Where do you jack up a unibody car? These bends are missing and so is any structural frame. I get it though the goal is build it light so structural Fram may not be in the cards for this but there is not reason not to bend ridges on the sides or up on the roof similar to turned metal roofing is bent. Those ridges are super strong especially when spot welded. Just as a unibody car is.

As for other TM out there. I would bet this issue is far more common than you think. The question is are people in the know? Do all TM owners understand what they are looking at when the front cap goes from 1.5" crown to 1"? Do they even measure it or know how to measure something like this? Or is this issue identified when the sag is so bad that water puddles on the roof? I get it TM want to sell you the entire roof cap they manufacture and any car manufacturer will take your car in if you want to restore it for a fee. Try it. They won't turn you away if that's what you want to do. However, I would think it be to any manufacturers benefit to keep thier vehicles on the road because people pay attention to that fact more than any other. How many times have you been to a campground and people stop and look at your TM? All the time roght? having solutions to restoration issues is paramount IMHO. Having said that TM does help its clients restore most issues they have solutions for the most part.

One thing is sertain... we do love our trailmanors don't we?
Old 06-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #15
coralcruze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane826 View Post
Chevy doesn’t have a factory solution for the rocker panels and cab corners rusting out on my 15 year old truck, and they sure aren’t interested in restoring it either.
Rust has to be cut out new sheet metal welded and shaped and then painted. By the way trucks are susceptible to this type of damage. However, even with the rust they still go down the road don't they?
Old 06-15-2022, 02:16 PM   #16
Shane826
TrailManor Master

5,932 members have come through here. 4,600 members on the TrailManor Facebook page. If you count the number of those folks who have had collapsed roof issues, I’m willing to bet it’s not much more than a rounding error in the overall scheme of things.

I think you’re confusing Chevy as a manufacturer with a dealership that has a body shop. Trust me General Motors ain’t gonna ask you to take your 2005 Silverado to the plant in Detroit for a refurb.

And you didn’t answer… What year is your TM, and how long have you owned it? And I’ll expand; stored indoors or outdoors throughout its life?
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!
Old 06-15-2022, 03:19 PM   #17
coralcruze

I feel we are going in circles. I am here to learn. Thanks Shane.
Old 06-28-2022, 11:08 AM   #18
klpauba

I had a 2005 2720SL and never had a problem with sagging around the A/C. It was always stored inside (even by the previous owners).
TM: 2005 2720SL -- lift kit, 15" Maxxis, LEDs, Husky ejack, GenPro soft start, 2300W gen, "H-Bridge", 1.44 cf Edgestar frig/freezer, 2xGC2, 1KW Inverter w/auto xfer switch, Trimetric Batt Monitor, 300W Solar (1 glass & 2 flex panels), EP Solar MPPT, Thetford Curve
TV: 2021 F-150 PowerBoost XLT Hybrid -- 7.2 kW Onboard Generator Option
Previous TV: 2012 Traverse -- "Stockton" 24V Boost Device

Map of where we've camped in our TM:
http://visitedstatesmap.com/image/IAMNMONEsm.jpg
klpauba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2022, 11:44 AM   #19
MrGallegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralcruze View Post

The question is are people in the know? Do all TM owners understand what they are looking at when the front cap goes from 1.5" crown to 1"? Do they even measure it or know how to measure something like this? Or is this issue identified when the sag is so bad that water puddles on the roof?
I never thought about that, so how do I measure it to know if there is a problem sag or not?

I have not noticed any leaks, and I can see that there is noticeable curve (crown ) in the back shell so I dot not suspect any problems there, but the front shell (from the inside) looks flat, (no sag or dip in the center).

The only issue I notice is that the front shell is heavy (takes two to open it), and one of my torsion bolts is stuck, so I do not know if that is the issue or if the there is water that has collected in the interior foam which makes it heavy. If there were water that collected in the interior foam, how would one find out, and what can be done to dry it?
Old 06-28-2022, 11:56 AM   #20
Shane826
TrailManor Master

If you can see a plainly noticeable crown, it’s not sagging.

If your roof was taking on water to the point of being that waterlogged, it would find its way out through light screw holes, wire holes, around a vent or A/C opening or whatever. We’ve seen a couple where the foam core was soaked through but they had excessive leaks for a long time.

Just keep up on sealing maintenance and keep snow or whatever other weight off the roof, 99% sure you’ll be fine for a long time.
SMARTER THAN GOOGLE!