TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
James Kranz

Default Winterizing TM in upper midwest

Hi, we are relatively new TM owners in southeast WI who have had their unit a couple of years. We are getting ready to winterize this year and were wondering what others in a similar climate are doing. I have opened all the low point valves (I think) and ran the pump until it sounded like it ran dry and no more water came out of the drain underneath. I know the dealers all say you should put antifreeze in the system but am not sure how to do that. Do you pour it in from the city water hose access and run it through with the pump and how would you do that? Thanks, James.
Old 11-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #2
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

james
also ck if you have outside shower, open the valves on it and all the ones inside, I also take anode out and drain hot water heater , this has taken care of us so far , but we do not get anywhere as cold as it does there.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #3
hillbillyhotel
TrailManor Master

maybe this thread will help ,
http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ht=winterizing
also use the search , lots of helpful info there.

RANDY & VICKIE
2003 3124 KS
TV 02 AVALANCHE 2500 4X4 8.1L
W/ PRODIGY B.C.,MAXXIS 10 PLY,HONDA 3000I

TM HISTORY
(88) TM 25 KING, (91) TM 23,(98) 3023, (03) 3124KS
hillbillyhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:37 PM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I follow the TM manual winterizing instructions, then I do blow out the lines. I close all the valves and faucets and hook up my compressor to the city water hose fitting. I open and close one valve and hot and cold water side of the faucets at a time and then the inside and out side shower hoses and the kitchen sink sprayer hose. I leave all the valve or faucet open until it's just air with some water vapor and than close it and move on to the next valve or faucet. After blowing out the lines, I re-open all the valves and faucets. I maybe get 16 oz of water out of the lines with most of that water being from the spray hoses for the Kitchen sink and showers.

I also pump about 20 oz of antifreeze through the water pump using a hose I connect to the water pump. It more out of habit from my years of winterizing different campers. I did have a sureflo water pump freeze on a none TM camper because water was trapped in the pump after draining and blowing out the lines. It ended up cracking the plastic between the cam and the diaphragm. It did not leak, but would barely pump.

You can pour the antifreeze into to the fresh water tank. I use a shurflo 90 degree fitting (234-3916) with a hose and screw it onto the pump input side and pump it straight out of the antifreeze jug. I pump it for about 5 seconds, with all the low point drains and faucets open, except the fresh water holding tank drain if you poured the antifreeze in the tank. If you poured the antifreeze in the tank, then drain the left over antifreeze out of the fresh water tank back into the antifreeze jug and leave the drain open.

I also put about 8-12 oz down each drain to protect the traps. I end up using about 1 gal every 3 years using the fitting and hose.
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:11 PM   #5
Bailey'sMom
Site Sponsor

Default Also in wisconsin

Hi James

This is only my second winter, but I do not put antifreeze in. One thing that you didn't mention was if you store yours indoors or out. Mine is stored in my garage which is attached to the house. That helps keep it a bit warmer than being outside, but still it can get brutally cold come January and February.

I thoroughly drain everything, run the pump til it don't pump anything, and remove and drain all all shower heads and open all faucets. Lst winter was my first time with my TM and it was pretty cold as you probably recall. I had no problems when I used it this summer. Don't want to jinx anything but hopefully no issues this year either.

Oh yeah, I also remove the anode rod and drain as best I can.

(RIP Bailey - 12/6/2020)
Welcome Sophie DOB 1/5/2021
Mini Goldendoodle (who's not so mini)

New to me 2010. 2720SD TrailManor
New to me 2010 Chevy Traverse

Both purchased July 2013

Factory installed 80W solar panel.

New batteries June 30th 2018.
(SLIGC115 Duracell Ultra 6V Deep Cycle Golf Cart Battery x 2)
New bag seals Sept 2020
Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera Installed Sept 2020
Bailey'sMom is online now   Reply With Quote