TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM   #1
bebotx

Default Wall mounted hands-free shower mod

Like many of us, I did the SirDrake shower mod that replaces the wrap-around curtain with plastic shower curtain lined walls on the bed and hall sides of the shower. I used a semi-opaque white plastic curtain from Walmart. What an improvement!

I would like to share my version of the hands-free shower head. I have been using this mod in various iterations for about 6 years, but this is my latest and best upgrade. Basically, it involves attaching the standard Trailmanor shower holder to the streetside wall with a flush mount bracket purchased at Lowe's.

First I trimmed the original polyester fabric shower curtain to neatly fit the shower after doing the plastic-lined-walls mod. The fabric curtain slightly turns the corner where the bed side wall meets the streetside wall. The fabric curtain continues across the streetside wall and around the open side of the shower, then turns the corner slightly to overlap the plastic-lined hall side shower wall. I trimmed the bottom of the curtain on all sides so it's not too long and is shorter where it meets the tub shelf.

I made a rectangular opening in the streetside of the fabric curtain for the faucet handles and shower sprayer to fit through, which I finished with a stitched-down facing using some of the leftover curtain trimmings. I made a smaller square finished opening further up the curtain to line up with where I mounted the bottom half of the flush mount bracket on the streetside wall. This second opening is a little bigger than the size of the flush mount bracket when both sides are mated.

I cut 2, 3" x 3" squares from a used solid plastic kitchen cutting board, which was about 1/4" thick (I'm a recycler). These I sandwiched together to make a piece of white waterproof plastic, 3" square and approx. 1/2" thick. I mounted the shower head bracket on the front and the upper section of the flush mount bracket on the back. I used screws that were long enough to bite into both pieces of the cutting board from both sides, but not so long that they protruded through.

By mating the flush mount bracket halves through the upper opening in the fabric curtain, my Oxygenics shower head is securely mounted to the streetside wall. There is about 3/16" of wiggle room between the wall and the back of the 3x3 square, which leaves just enough space to hang a standard "over-the-showerhead-arm" shower organizer between the 3x3 square and the curtain.

The only skills needed are basic sewing, careful measuring, and the ability to operate a table saw, Dremel, power drill and screwdriver. I'm very happy with this setup as it maximizes the space in the Trailmanor shower but still allows for convenient storage of shower necessities. I don't recommend over-weighting the organizer, but mine holds small bottles of shampoo & conditioner, soap, etc. If you use a bigger flush mount bracket like the one Trailmanor sells to mount shelves and installed with well nuts, I think it would safely hold more weight.

I have some additional pics with details if anyone is interested.

Betty
1976 "Vintage" Munroe Crusader 11' TT in New Zealand
bebotx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #2
bebotx

Sorry the pics didn't come through. I got logged off midstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shower mod finished.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	9378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Closeup of faucet opening.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	9379   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flush mount bracket on streetside wall.jpg
Views:	263