TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #1
CampAllDay

Default Cargo Carrying Capacity of 800 lbs

Hi All,

I am interested in a 2720 TM that has a CCC of approx. 800 lbs (see photo below). Since I am not coming from the 'soft-shelled' pop-up world, but rather from the tents ecosystem, I have no idea if the 800 lbs CCC limit is too restrictive, just right or exessive? (We never had to weigh anything in order to go tent camping). So, what weight do you add to the TM when you travel.

Thanks a bunch,
CampAllDay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cargo Carrying Capacity.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	9187  
Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

800 lbs will add up pretty quick. Two adults with provisions for two weeks can add up pretty quick. We don't know what stuff you carry. The first thing you should do is weigh the TM at a CAT scale. These are located at commercial truck centers. Weigh your TM empty ( no camping gear, just the TM equipped as you bought it). It may weigh more than the tag or sticker on the side. This is actual weight. Then look at the sticker for GVWR. Then subtract the empty weight, sometimes considered dry weight, and you'll have your carrying capacity. Then when your ready to go camping, load it all up and weigh it again. This will provide you a guideline for how much you've added. After a few trips, you'll be able to load and unload with ease knowing you've not exceeded the limits. An overloaded TM or any RV for that matter is dangerous.

Tires will be the big factor on GVW. Each tire is rated for max weight. If your tires won't handle the weight, does not matter if your TM says it will.

One other thing to think about is the tow vehicle Gross Combined Weight Ratio. That is the combined weight for the TV, passengers, gear, and gross tow weight. Total for everything. Propane, battery, cargo in the TV, cargo in the TM. The Combined weight limit is an important number, not just the towing weight max. If at some point you think that the TM is near its limit for weight, and you shift gear to the TV, you've have to be aware of the TV limits.

My trucks combined ratio number is 11,000 lbs. Sounds like a lot. When I add up my truck at 4700 lbs, my TM at 4200 lbs, my motorcycle loaded in the truck bed at 700 lbs, two passengers, gear for two weeks, I'm well over 9k lbs. Invite two friends and their gear and I'm over 10k lbs. Adds up quickly.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
moaboy

Definitely manageable. Just don't take the kitchen sink...
Old 09-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #4
CampAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by moaboy View Post
Definitely manageable. Just don't take the kitchen sink...
Haha. I'll make sure to leave the kitchen sink at home. Thank you both for the advice. Now if I just could figure out the tongue weight thingy and WDH. I'll review forum posts and may follow up with questions about it
Old 09-24-2013, 07:25 AM   #5
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

The tongue weight is expected to be about 10% of TM weight. Some here including myself is to use the Cat scale to determine actual tongue weight. The Cat scale service fee, $7.00 in my area, allows you to weigh more than once. Weigh the TV, weigh the combo of TV and TM hitched, and weigh the TM unhitched. The difference is tongue weight.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

CycleGuy -

Not to be picky, but 10% is the universally-quoted MINIMUM tongue weight for any trailer. Any weight smaller than 10% is likely to produce trailer sway.

For a TM, you can figure more like 14%. That is one of the reasons that TMs are resistant to sway, but it does increase the hitch weight. If a fully loaded TM weighs in at 3800 pounds (a common number), the hitch weight is likely to be on the order of 530 pounds.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:59 AM   #7
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Thanks Bill for the correction. Am I to assume that the TM heavy TW (tongue weight) is due to the axle set distance is further away from the hitch ball then a traditional tow behind camper?

As you can determine, part of my response is to educate a new owner to weigh their TM rather than go by what the book says. You can certainly improperly load your gear in the TM towards the front section and have more TW than what is safe for towing.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King
Old 09-25-2013, 03:40 AM   #8
CampAllDay

Great, rvCycleGuy. The tongue weight measure tatic is pretty slick. I will certainly give it a try after I buy my TM.
Old 09-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #9
CampAllDay

Silly follow up question: To increase the tongue weight I would simply store more camping gear in the front of the unit ( and away from the axle) right?
Old 09-25-2013, 06:57 AM   #10
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampAllDay View Post
Silly follow up question: To increase the tongue weight I would simply store more camping gear in the front of the unit ( and away from the axle) right?
Simple answer.... Yes. Think of it as a teeter totter with the axle as the pivot point. It would be helpful for you to share what tow vehicle you are using and the factory recommended max tongue weight allowed.

The factory tongue weight is crucial to towing a TM with ease and without sway. The design has been proven over many years and owner satisfaction. For example, When a TM is loaded with a cargo rack on the rear bumper, the extra weight at the rear will shift tongue weight and may cause sway while towing.

It's all about knowing the limits placed on the vehicle. Excessive tongue weight removes weight from the TV front axle which causes steering and control issues.
Not enough and loss of control for the TM to follow behind in a straight line with wind turbulence, large truck drafts, etc. The low profile of the TM while towing is one of the most safe aspects of the design.

TM-2002 3124KB
2006 Harley Road King

Tags
cargo carrying capacity, ccc, weights