TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2011, 06:52 PM   #1
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Default help with lights...

OK so I purchased a rear view camera and decided to install it today... I decided that the best light to hook the wire providing the power to the camera would be (what I think are called) the running lights. I have a 2006 TM, i'm refering to the red and orange lights that are on at the top edge of the TM. I hooked it upto the back left side red running light. after I made and tested the connections everything was fine and I got a picture when I turned on the lights. I should have left it alone but then I got the bright idea to connect it to the back left break light. so I tested it on the bottom blub and realized that the power gets delivered to the camera only when the break is depresed (of course). so I went ahed and disconnected it from the break light when I noticed a small spark. since then the running lights will not power on when I turn on the lights in the Towing Vehicle. I checked all fuses in the TV and they are all good. I checked the batter tube fuse and its fine too. why won't the running lights go back on? just to be clear ALL of the running lights wont go on when I flip the lights on in the TV. I tested the breaks and reverse lights and they do power on. what is causing this and how do I fix the problem that I most likely created??? thanks in advance...
coralcrazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:17 PM   #2
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

There are no fuses in the TM for the clearance (running) lights so I suspect you have a blown fuse in your TV that you have not found yet. Check for voltage to ground on the Tv barg connector on the clearance lights pin when you have the TV lights on to verify -- i suspect you will not see any voltage there.

Tim
Old 05-21-2011, 07:37 AM   #3
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb&Tim View Post
There are no fuses in the TM for the clearance (running) lights so I suspect you have a blown fuse in your TV that you have not found yet. Check for voltage to ground on the Tv barg connector on the clearance lights pin when you have the TV lights on to verify -- i suspect you will not see any voltage there.

Tim
where would the fuse be for this??? I checked under the hood in the TV and pulled out each and every one of the fuses and all are fine. is there another fuse pannel in the TV that I am not aware of? more importantly are there any fuses typically on or near the 7 pin connector? thanks
Old 05-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #4
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

I don't know anything specific about your (brand?)TV (Fuse locations should be in your TV manual)

In general:

My Tv has two fuse panels, one under the hood, one next to the drivers side door hinge.

I have not seen any fuses on or near any 7-pin Barg connector.

If you are not experienced with how to troubleshoot the electrical problem, maybe you should consider taking it to a RV shop or get a friend with electrical knowledge to help you.

Good luck with it!

Tim
Old 05-21-2011, 09:28 AM   #5
RogerR

If the brake and backup lights on the trailer work then the problem could be in the Bargman connector itself, check the pins and the socket. If you have voltage to the car end of the connector start working back along the line into the trailer. Somewhere something has come loose or broken.
A favorite place for problems are the wire nuts TM uses. Take them off, inspect for corrosion and replace with new. If your handy, solder the connector. There are also some much better connecters that you can buy that are waterproof crimp on type.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:53 AM   #6
Digger

What is the year, make and model of your TV?. Did it come with a factory installed tow package or was it added later. Some one with the same TV should be able to help you.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:04 AM   #7
ferdoh

Your TV probably has another fuse just for the lights on the TM. You blew this one when you shorted the wire. I know Fords do. Don't ask me how I found out!
ferdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
coralcrazed
BannedUsers

thanks guys... pulled out the manual (don't know why I didn't think of that). toyoa uses extra small fuse pannel tucked deep in the drivers side and is why I did not see one the first time I looked. once manual stated its there I had to look closer and it had a cover also to camafloge it. anyway founs a 10 amp fuse that was burned and replaced it and all is well now. thank you to everyone. forced me to keep diggin.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:49 PM   #9
Barb&Tim
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the feedback, glad it was an easy fix

Tim
Old 05-22-2011, 04:27 PM   #10
lost_again

Default Lights on

I am happy to say that I haven't had this problem but, I want you to know that this is why I joined the Forum.
Thanks Jay
lost_again is offline   Reply With Quote