TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 12-22-2010, 05:37 AM   #1
TravlinOn

Default Checklists – One Step Further

Some great posts in the thread for “Camping Checklists”, and I really like the suggestions for where to put stuff. For me, without any modifications yet done, the next step will be to figure out how best to modify for best storage; ie: where best to put a new box, how big, pull out (?), under a shelf (?), on and on.

A thought came to mind. Perhaps, some of you already know about it and can share some of your work?
Here goes. Google has a free download called “Google Sketchup” that can be used to sketch some simple drawings with dimensions for some storage modifications to our TM’s. If some of you have already done some drawings, I would love to see them. I plan to do some for mine, but I am very slow.

Here is a link to show what I am talking about:
Old 12-26-2010, 08:46 AM   #2
PopBeavers

fwiw, the best modification we have made was to install three drawers in the cabinet. Getting to be a little old to be crawling on the floor looking for things in the cabinet.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #3
TravlinOn

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopBeavers View Post
fwiw, the best modification we have made was to install three drawers in the cabinet. Getting to be a little old to be crawling on the floor looking for things in the cabinet.
That makes a lot of sense to me, too. Do you normally remove the drawers with contents in place for home storage until the next trip. Did you make the drawers or buy bins that slide on runners that you installed in the cabinet?

Hope I am not being too nosey - just trying to plan my project. Thanks.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
PopBeavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravlinOn View Post
That makes a lot of sense to me, too. Do you normally remove the drawers with contents in place for home storage until the next trip. Did you make the drawers or buy bins that slide on runners that you installed in the cabinet?

Hope I am not being too nosey - just trying to plan my project. Thanks.
I made the drawers myself. There are two drawers in the upper section. Each is tall enough for normal height canned goods.

The lower section has a single drawer to hold tall items.

The lower section is too short to hold two drawers each capable of holding standard height cans.

Someone several years ago posted prints on how to build them. I just figured it out myself. A table saw is handy.

We leave the drawers in and load all season, late February through early November. For the rest of the year the drawers are in the trailer but are empty. We rotate the food with what is in the house and replenish at the beginning of the year.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
knoxjere

Default drawer diagram

I could not find the thread where I found this, so I will give credit to Bill Jeffrey. This is this diagram for drawers in the kitchen cabinets. We have not made this mod but will someday.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf TM drawers.pdf (15.3 KB, 338 views)
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee I6/w/tow package
Prodigy 2 brake controller
Eaz-Lift 1000 lb WDH
After market heavy duty cooling fan
After Market heavy duty transmission cooler
McKesh Mirrors
knoxjere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:35 AM   #6
TravlinOn

Default Checklists - One Step Further

Big Thanks to Wayne and Jere for suggestions and archive post from almost 10 years ago. I wouldn't have found such a good construction plan from so far back and the "post construction" note about checking to see if the cabinet was installed "square" by the factory is worth its weight in gold!
Old 12-30-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
PopBeavers

I am reasonably sure that is the set of plans that got me going. I only built drawers 3, 4 and 5.

One thing I accidentally learned:

I made the sides a little too tall. No problem, just run it across the table saw with a fence.

The end result was a very smooth match of adjacent side boards.

If I ever build a similar drawer again, I will intentionally make it a bit too tall and then run it through the table saw to finish the top.