TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 06-06-2003, 10:47 AM   #1
efelker

Default Trailer Dolly

I was searching the net today (Google) looking at trailer dollies (I'm one of those "backing up challenged, bet you can't get it in the garage on the 20th try" kinds of guys.  Found lots of dollies in the $49 to $89 range (600 lb tow weight).  Lso found some real "gold-plated" models in the #129 - $229 range.

Then I found this one below:

http://www.homier.com/default.asp?pa...il.asp?i=01724

Could not believe it was $19.99 with what appears to be pneumatic tires).  I sent them a customer service email asking if the price was correct & what's it availability.  I'll let you all know what I hear.

Ed
Old 06-06-2003, 01:40 PM   #2

Default Re: Trailer Dolly

This dolly only weighs 29 pounds.  I think it might move a pop up camper or something with a 100 pound tounge weight or so, but a Trailmanor????
Old 06-06-2003, 02:47 PM   #3
caremd99

It might work if it is used on a level concrete surface.  But then if you have a level concrete surface why not just use the wheel that fits under the jack that comes with the TM (at least one came with mine and the dealer told me it was standard)?
Old 06-06-2003, 03:30 PM   #4
Carol
Site Sponsor

efelker

I don't know what you tow with, but you might want to consider a hitch on the front of your vehicle (especially if you have a truck - I don't know how well it would attach to a minivan).  When we had a swim raft delivered, the dealer switched from the rear hitch he used for towing to his front hitch to move the raft down a narrow, difficult road with his front hitch. He said that it is much easier to place a trailer with the front hitch pushing the trailer.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 01:08 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Ed Felker wrote:  "I'm one of those "backing up challenged, bet you can't get it in the garage on the 20th try" kinds of guys."

And Caremd99 wrote "[The dolly] might work if it is used on a level concrete surface.  But if you have a level concrete surface, why not just use the [standard TM dolly] wheel that fits under the jack?"
--------------------------
I have to store my TM in the garage, and it's a tight fit - only about 6" of clearance on each side.  My driveway is concrete, sloping very gently upward to the garage.  The slope is just enough that I can't push the 3400-pound TM uphill into the garage by hand.

I CAN back it in using the tow vehicle, but it takes me most of Ed's 20 tries to do it, and I'm always worried about catching the awning housing on the side of the door opening, or running the back end of the trailer through the drywall. So I don't like to do that.

A good compromise seems to be this.  Using the tow vehicle, I carefully back the TM part way into the garage - just until the wheels cross the threshold and get onto the level garage floor.  This is pretty easy.  At that point I stop, set wheel chocks, and unhitch, putting the dolly wheel onto the jackpost.  (Yes, Caremd99, it is standard with the TM). Now, instead of pushing the 3400 pound trailer uphill, I am just pushing the 400-pound tongue weight uphill, and that is easy.  I have full control, and I can position the trailer where I want it to within a gnat's patootie.

Works every time - and saves the stress of having my wife yell "No no, the other way!" as the back bumper approaches the drywall in the garage.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2003, 02:59 AM   #6
efelker

I thought that was a pretty underpowered dolly too, but it did say "600 lb tongue weight" and that does put it in the range of a TM, even with the options.

Granted, trying to push any trailer on anything but a level grade certainly would qualify as aerobic exercise.  When I did this with an old popup I had (have not yet made the plunge into TM ownership, but soon), I'd eventually get the back of the camper so that each side at least would clear the sides of the garage opening.  Then I'd unhook, muscle it left or right, using the wheel on the tongue jack, eventually get it lined up straight, reconnect the tow vehicle, and bingo -- there you are.  Now that was a 1200 lb popup, I can hardly wait to do that to a 3000 lb empty TM.

Front hookup really sounds great, but I've got a 4-runner & I don't think there's a place to install a front hitch.

The dolly was going to be my attempt at "easing the burden."   ... now if I can just talk Bev into providing a little "physical" rather than "moral" support, I can save the $19.99.

Ed
Old 06-08-2003, 12:07 AM   #7
KB7OUR

Don't know if it's the same one, but here's what I use to back our 3023 into the garage and it works great.  Yes, it does take a little muscle to move it around but not too bad as long as you don't have a steep incline.  Otherwise, I recommend going with an electric model.  Hope this helps  .

http://www.estran.com/store/category.jsp?category=6678

Wade
Old 06-08-2003, 10:46 AM   #8
tipper

I use a 6" caster wheel which fits on the hitch jack and hand push a 2720 into our garage.  I find it takes two persons not only to push but also  to watch each side of the TM.  Even a driveway crack would stop a single person cold.  I can't imagine using a handle on a dolly.

Backing in partway with a vehicle and finishing by hand is certainly less pushing.  However, I have a side car garage and see this as a difficult manuever.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:54 PM   #9
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

I have a steep (roughly 15% grade) driveway and travel/live solo (no helpers when I need one   ) so I went the electrically powered dolly route.  Have been exceedingly happy with my Powermover Model AC2...1/4 horse motor and dual wheels.  With this unit's precise positioning ability, I can easily and safely place my TM less than two inches from the garage wall.

I had them include a brake activation switch and connector cable so I can full-apply my TM's brakes as needed to hold it on the driveway until I get the wheels chocked.

Works slick as a whistle though a tad bit pricey at around $800.  See http://www.powermoverinc.net/htmls/pmaccarts.html for more info.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote