TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 07-07-2022, 12:16 PM   #11
rickst29
yes, they hunt lions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cya3124 View Post
It is on his Videos page as posted two months ago. And if it was old, everyone waited until two months ago to comment? Not sure where you get that the video is "very old".

I'm not sure he was advocating limited discharge, just an observation on how the average user would utilize the battery(ies). I plan to use mine camping or on the boat over a day or 3, so it would see limited DOD. I feel I fall into his "compression won't do much" category. My batteries are of the new(er) design. They are maybe a year old, but by your reasoning, I should toss them.
Thanks for more info! His quoted cell prices are way lower than the current market. I am in NO WAY advising that you "toss" your recently built batteries, and from the things you say, I estimate that any advantages gained by rebuilding the pack "case" with compression are not worth it

If they are to be moved from boat to RV and back, light weight is a key. spring-loaded compression rods (sticking out on one end) and heavier compression-capable end assemblies would not be "convenient" for moving them, in comparison to straps on a pair of everyday plywood or pine board "box" ends. Do you care to post a photo, and identify your cells (I can even look up cells via QR codes.) Whose BMS did you choose to use?

I am personally a high-power battery user, planning use of the LFP packs to un the AC on the roof in future boondock camping.
Old 07-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #12
Cya3124
Site Sponsor

I'm using the foam that the cells shipped in from an ebay seller to support them inside a plastic battery box for a 24 group size battery. The BMS came from ebay as well, a 4S 30 A (I think) with balancing. This is a proof of concept exercise for me to see if it would be beneficial to move up to all LiFePO4 to save weight in either the boat or camper. I'm not ready to go all the way to running the AC yet!

My boat has two 105 Ah lead acid batteries at about 60 lbs each for the house bank. The little box I made with four 100 Ah cells weighs maybe 10 pounds. I haven't weighed it yet, and I have a couple more cables to attach but I don't think they will add much being 10 ga silicone. Quite the difference, especially if I go with a 100% DOD, which was the plan to test. Even if I went to 50% like the current bank, using two of these LiFePO4 batteries would still save me a lot in the weight department.

Tags
batteries, bms, inverter, solar