TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 07:47 PM   #11
Laura FM

I got the PM and tried responding twice, but it does not look like it went through. So, I will answer here.

The sad thing is that we have owned the trailer for nearly 6 months, and due to an illness/death in the family, we have only managed to take it out for two one night trips. Our original plan was to take it on a couple of short trips and then go to utah for three weeks in April. Next april! In about 10 days, we are finally going out for 8 days. Yay.

We ordered ours without having seen what it looks like without the toilet, but I am pleased. It is a cupboard with two doors. There are two shelves in it - the base shelf and another about half way up. IIRC (and yes, that is what it means) the bottom shelf is divided into two areas, and the top shelf goes all way across. It is a big area - we fit all our pots/pans/dishes and towels/toiletries. I also love having the counterspace.

This is our 3rd folding trailer - the first two were tent trailers. The first one had no toilet, and I was fine with it, but we needed more space with growing kids. The larger one had a toilet, and I liked it well enough, especially in the night, but I also missed the walked back from the CG toilets. I liked the night sky and the quiet. The downside was that it took up a lot of space, was more to set up/tear down, and I was never wild about having a toilet so close to our food.

I wanted our new trailer to be simpler, but also well built. I was happy to give up the toilet . What was not negotiable was that we needed a king sized bed where we did not need to climb over each other. We also needed something that would fit in our old garage. Throw in an excellent dealer and we were happy campers.

I really did not like this model with the toilet. Since the sport is narrower (and I like that narrowness) it really over powered the space. I am not sure I would have gotten it with the toilet. We would still be looking for the right trailer.

MNACamper - I sent you my email address in a pm.
Old 09-19-2013, 01:28 PM   #12
CampAllDay

Sorry to hear about the family illness. Hope everyting works out Laura.

On the topic of TM w/o bathroom: I also do not necesarily want a bathroom, but I've heard in this forum that having a bathroom is a plus for resale value. So, I was wondering if anyone does not use the bathroom (for short trips) and instead leave the bathroom collapsed when camping. The surface area of the collapsed bathroom could possibly be used as elevated? seating area or as a storage / countertop area. As an extra plus, leaving the bathroom collapsed, would open up the space a bit. I have seen pictures of TMs without bathroom and it looks much more spacious and roomier.

I do not own a TM (yet) so do not know how sturdy the surface area of the collapsed bathroom is?

CampAllDay
Old 09-19-2013, 01:41 PM   #13
gerrym51

my opinion is don't buy any rv if concerned about resale value. rv's in general are a lifestyle choice and is a money pit.

having said that i would think having a bathroom would be a better reselling point than not having one.

rving makes one happy.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
rvcycleguy
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampAllDay View Post
Sorry to hear about the family illness. Hope everyting works out Laura.

On the topic of TM w/o bathroom: I also do not necesarily want a bathroom, but I've heard in this forum that having a bathroom is a plus for resale value. So, I was wondering if anyone does not use the bathroom (for short trips) and instead leave the bathroom collapsed when camping. The surface area of the collapsed bathroom could possibly be used as elevated? seating area or as a storage / countertop area. As an extra plus, leaving the bathroom collapsed, would open up the space a bit. I have seen pictures of TMs without bathroom and it looks much more spacious and roomier.

I do not own a TM (yet) so do not know how sturdy the surface area of the collapsed bathroom is?

CampAllDay
The walls used for the bathroom are not suitable for seating in anyway. The block material they rest on when collapsed is fragile at best and was not intended for the weight of a person. Just FYI....storage possibly and counter space but not seating.

TM-2002 3124KB
TV-2003 Toyota Tundra V8 4.7L. Fact. Tow Pkg, air bags
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50c Motorcycle- crashed- parted out
1956 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Motorcycle-sold
2006 Harley Road King
rvcycleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
CampAllDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcycleguy View Post
The walls used for the bathroom are not suitable for seating in anyway. The block material they rest on when collapsed is fragile at best and was not intended for the weight of a person. Just FYI....storage possibly and counter space but not seating.
Great! Good to know - thanks.
Old 09-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Definitely can't sit on the folded bathroom! It can be used to set things on, though, as we do that all the time. We don't open ours during the day, and only open it at night. DW does not want to go out in the middle of the night, so that was a concession I made when purchasing.

If you always camp where there are facilities, or are okay with using the woods/porta-john at night (you may not get up in the middle of the night now, but wait a few years. ), then you could get by without the bathroom. BUT, I like it for the shower, also. After a day of hiking, or whatever, I feel better after a shower than I do after a sponge-bath.

The toilet is only half of the facility. The shower should not be discounted, as it is part of the equation.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:23 PM   #17
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I definitely wouldn't buy a trailer without a bathroom. Heck, even when we go tent camping we take a porta potti with us (we have a huge tent with separate rooms). I really hate having to unzip the tent, put your headlamp on, and go wandering around with the bears at night in the cold. I think I'd rather go without an indoor stove than a shower and toilet. The propane refigerator is a must, however. I hate using those bear boxes and they heat up like little ovens when it's hot; melts all of your ice in the cooler way too fast. Just our preferences.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #18
CampingFools

Ditto to not buying a used TM, 2417 or no, that didn't have a bathroom.

One thing we appreciate about the bathroom walls of our 2417, is the ability to hang things using over the door hooks in the gap between the top of the wall and the ceiling. Given how limited storage is in the 2417, this is extremely useful, plus it allows me to keep our trailer looking tidy. (A big thing for me, what can I say. )

I believe we may have been the very first purchasers of a from-the-factory 2417 (vs the no-bathroom prototypes they initially shipped to dealers). In addition to options, we requested that the dividing panel in the rear storage area be removed in order to open up the space, and that a small access door be cut into the dining seat that didn't have one so we could utilize it for additional storage, even if limited (it was big enough to store a small electric heater, fan, and George Foreman grill).

We have over 150 nights in our 2417 so far, with plans to put another 150 nights on it in 2014. We hit the 6,500 mile mark two weeks ago, discovering that that appeared to be the max mileage for the tires in the process. So far, that's the only repair item we've encountered, other than some small tweaks we had the dealer do after each trip while it was still under warranty.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:37 AM   #19
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

You have spent much more time in your 2417 than we have! Not enough time to do the traveling we want to do.

We also got ours very-early-on. We got ours in January of 2012. I also removed the divider in the storage compartment, after reading about someone else doing it. Much more convenient for storing chairs, canopy, grill, etc.

Very much enjoy ours, and have not had lack-of-space issues in our 1-week trips.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote