TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 04-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #11
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Mom -

You are in even better shape than I thought. Your husband sounds more than sufficiently handy if he can do all that. Motivation is a different question - but you wouldn't be buying a trailer if he weren't motivated to keep it up, right? And if your Tacoma came with the factory-installed towing package, it should be sufficient.

The remaining questions are easy.
1. Does the Tacoma have a built-in brake controller as part of the towing package? By 2015 a lot of trucks have one, but you must confirm it. If it doesn't have one, you must buy and install one before you hook up the trailer. I suggest that a good brand is Tekonsha, not because it is best in the world (there are others just as good), but because lots of people have them and like them, and there is a lot of experience you can lean on. No matter what you choose, be sure it has the word "proportional" or "inertia" in the description.
2. Your Tacoma has a 7-way electrical connector as part of the towing package. Make sure that the 12 VDC power pin is energized. For unknown reasons, some truck manufacturers install the connector and hook it up perfectly, but leave the fuse that energizes it in a little bag in the glove compartment.

I'm referring to the pin marked "12V" in this diagram. It is probably energized only when the truck's ignition key is ON.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...&pictureid=442

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #12
momto4girls

thanks, Bill--I'll show my husband. Well, after he's had time to decompress from this week.
momto4girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:38 PM   #13
HIKERZ
TrailManor Master

I agree with Bill in reference to caulking. It,s something that is an issue that you just have to deal with. You can do it yourself if you are comfortable and able to string a nice long bead or pay someone a lot of money to do it. Either way there is nothing worse then a leak taking away your cozy on a rainy day.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #14
momto4girls

For future reference: This addresses the issue with the water collecting in the seal. http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ght=seal+water
Old 05-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #15
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

get lots of pictures and then go look at it. Has it been stored outside?

Does not sound like this person fixed any thing. small or large?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentcamper View Post
get lots of pictures and then go look at it. Has it been stored outside?

Does not sound like this person fixed any thing. small or large?
just to clarity--the thread I posted is not the actual seller of the trailer I'm interested in--it's just that he was having the same problem. So that was a completely different 3023. And the seller I'm talking to said his issue was not as extensive as the one in the thread. (I emailed it to him.) He had water in a portion of the seal--not the whole seal.

From the thread: "For the real fix you will need to get to the place on the seal where the rain comes in and refold and staple it. Then seal it with a good silicon seal." Seller has made this repair since listing the camper and says so far no more water has entered. (It has rained since he repaired) He sent pictures. The seals look intact--not deteriorating. just a little dirty. It is normally stored outside under an ADCO cover (I think that's what it's called). I'm assuming he left it uncovered to see if the repair worked. He claims that his seal is not stapled to wood--that it is a composite material. I will have to verify that and how long the problem went on before he addressed it. I'm definitely not sold on this particular trailer. I mainly posted for informational purposes since this isn't a common problem apparently.

Feel free to continue to advise me! I am still considering it. I think his price is too high, but I'm patient. I'm still willing to go check it out, but I can't make the trip until later in the month. If it hasn't sold by then, we may go look.
Old 05-06-2016, 03:44 PM   #17
Craigrrr
TrailManor Master

The best suggestion I can offer as to looking for a TM is Camping World, look in their back lots as they normally want to sell and carry the BIG BOY Trailers and coaches . They really dont know what they have if they have a TM on their lot. I picked mine up for a song the salesman did not even know how to open it up

2008 2720SD
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
2015 Prius v the money saver
Craigrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:01 AM   #18
Robert's TM

On the AC I had to replace the start capacitor when the compressor tried to kick on it would kick breaker. I went ahead and replaced all 3 capacitors ( start, run, and fan ). Wasn't that much more.

AC has been working great ever since!