TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > General TrailManor Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 09-08-2003, 06:16 PM   #1
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine
Default Re:Brake Controller Recommendation ?

MikeD -

This discussion is getting out of hand. First, the brake controller does NOT operate the tow vehicle brakes. Hal was referring to a nifty feature of an old Studebaker (and perhaps other marques). But it is not a part of any trailer brake controller.

I didn't mean to sound mysterious in my post about the SLAM problem. For whatever reason, most controllers are enabled (and disabled) by the tow vehicle's brake lights. But I found that my Explorer's brake lights go off a moment *before* the Explorer's brakes actually release. When the brake lights go off, the trailer brakes are released - but the Explorer brakes are still slightly engaged. Result? The trailer SLAMs forward into the hitch.

Much to my surprise, the Explorer's brake light switch isn't adjustable.

Solution? I bought a controller that isn't activated by the tow vehicle brake lights. It is no better than any other good controller, like the Prodigy, except in this one area. But when this is important, it is critical.

The problem either is there from the beginning, or it will never be there. It won't develop over time - good question, though.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 08:46 PM   #2
kempert
Site Sponsor

To me it's a no-brainer - Prodigy.
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2003, 02:24 PM   #3
Bruce

Thanks to this board I recently replaced my Voyager controller with a Prodigy.
What a difference! Engagement is so smooth I barely notice that the trailer brakes are on. With the Voyager I would tap the brakes once or twice and then all of a sudden they would come on with such force our heads would snap back against the head rest. I tried adjusting the level control and voltage control over and over but this harsh engagement never went away.

Bruce
Old 09-22-2003, 01:21 PM   #4
Frenchy
Site Sponsor

I would like to get a Prodigy for my TV. Can I install it easily myself or does it need to be done professionally? Do I need to buy any accessories when I order it such as a wiring harness? My TV is a 1995 full size Chevy Van.
Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:04 PM   #5
Bill_NM

Here is my $.02. I have installed my prodigy in 3 trucks - an F150, F250 and now a Dodge. It is an easy install - just 4 wires. Prodigy provides a generic harness which can be wired to the generic harness supplied with most trucks or you can buy a 'no-brainer' plug in cable from most RV stores for a specific truck for about $10. I have used both.

Mounting the prodigy usually requires drilling two small holes in the lower dash panel. Be careful slecting the mounting spot so you don't bang into it with your knees getting into and out of your TV.

Once installed you set it up and then just use it. It becomes transparent in operation.

We have towed our TM through the Rockies, to Death Valley and most points in between. We had to do a seriously hard stop last weekend on the way out of town. No drama, no swerving, it just worked.

I haven't used other brakwe controllers so I don't have a base for comparison, but I sure like my prodigy.
Old 09-28-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
bell
Site Sponsor

To stop slam be sure the ground wire is grounded at the batterypost,not to any thing under the dash.
bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 04:04 PM   #7
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I use a Hayes Lemmerz Energize III electric brake controller on my truck and SUV. I get perfect proportional braking with no slam problems. It will handle 1 or 2 axles and is availiable at most RV dealers and in most RV catalogs.
http://aftermarket.hayes-lemmerz.com...rgize_iii.html
MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2003, 10:17 PM   #8
ventrman

I think you will find that the Prodigy brake controller is the best on the market. It applies the same force to the trailer brakes that you apply. It makes for worry-free towing.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:06 AM   #9
RockyMtnRay
TrailManor Master

Not only does the Prodigy apply trailer braking that's proportional to TV braking, but it maintains that proportionality even on steep mountain descents. Pendulum type controllers are proportional on level ground but grossly overapply the trailer brakes on steep descents (the pendulum is affected by both gravity and deceleration).

One of the toughest tests for a brake controller is the descent on the west side of Hoosier Pass here in Colorado...it's 4 miles of continuous 8% to 10% grades with numerous 25 mph corners and no less than six 10 mph hairpin switchbacks. Even with my Jeep's manual tranny in 2nd gear for engine braking, I have to firmly apply the brakes to keep my speed at 10 mph in those descending hairpin turns. The Prodigy controller keeps trailer braking so proportional that there isn't even a wiggle when I apply the brakes...even with large amounts of steering angle.
RockyMtnRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:24 AM   #10
mjlaupp
Site Sponsor

I almost didn't post about what I use for a brake controller because I figured I would get this type of response!

I am not running down the Prodigy controller, I was just stating that I get excellent control with the Energize III. I drive in the Ozark mountains on roads that compare with those found in the western mountains. The grades may not be as long but are just as steep and twisted.
Quote:
Pendulum type controllers are proportional on level ground but grossly overapply the trailer brakes on steep descents (the pendulum is affected by both gravity and deceleration).
I agree that the pendulum is affected by both gravity and deceleration. I don't agree with the "grossly overapply" portion of the statement. I assume that you must have done a side by side comparison of the Prodigy and the Energizer III products to make such a statement.

One last question. What solid state product does the Prodigy controller use that provides proportional braking while canceling out the grade component of driving? Something has to point down!

MJL
mjlaupp is offline   Reply With Quote