TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Off Topic
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 PM   #1
momto4girls

Default Inflatable Kayaks

Saw the Porta Bote post, so I thought I'd ask. I've got one recommendation from B and D for a Sea Eagle inflatable kayak. Anyone have a Sevylor or Intex? We are going to Anna Maria Island in May, and we want to explore the bay area.

I might be willing to consider a hard shell kayak, but I need two. Ideally, one tandem and one single. And I need to be able to transport on top of a Prius. I'm not sure I want to go to that much trouble at this point. not even sure it's possible.

Only kayaking experience I have is with my brother in his Old Town tandem. That's a great kayak.

ETA: Sam's Club has a great deal on an Oru foldable kayak. They are over $1000 on other sites. My local Sam's has them for $500. I'm looking into that option, too, but the inflatables are cheaper.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:24 PM   #2
BrucePerens
TrailManor Master

I have a Sea Eagle kayak and an Tower inflatable paddle board. There's a little more care required for an inflatable because they can be punctured. Sea Eagle famously shows that you can hit theirs with a hammer, but the results would be very different if they hit it with anything sharp. For that reason, you should keep inflatables out of shallows except for where you launch them. Many shore areas are reinforced with scrap concrete, which has rebar sticking out of it and can be sharp.

You need to have a plan for what happens if you puncture the boat. And you've got to wear your life jackets all of the time you're on the water.
Old 04-01-2017, 09:27 AM   #3
fourteener

Momto4girls,

A lot of opinion on which is better, in fact you can read the manufacturers sites until you will even be further confused. We have a Sevylor Colorado and camp with a really good friend and his family that have Sea Eagles, and here's what we've noticed.

First, inflatables are definitely more prone to be affected by the wind. They tend to be so buoyant that they sit on top of the water, sort of bubble-like.

Of course, inflatables aren't as tough as composite kayaks. That being said, I would say that our Sevylor CO is tougher than the comparable Sea Eagles. The Colorado has comparable air vinyl/pvc air bladders, but the Colorado is covered in a tough fabric slip cover (cadora-like fabric) that protects the air chambers. Then on top of that, the bottom is rubber coated to even further strengthen it. Don't take me wrong, as I don't think either would stand up to a box cutter or barbed-wire?!

I think the Sea Eagles may be a bit lighter and compact when packed. It all depends on the model. I think the Sevylor Fiji or Tahiti may be more comparable to the Sea Eagles, but I haven't experienced those more economic models.

Inflatables are compact, and that is why we went that route. Our Colorado fits in the bench seat (heater side) of our 2720 along with 3-fishing rods, 2-adult pfd's, and the air pump. Sometimes we also pack our 2-inflatable paddle boards on the floor by the kitchen table. Loads of fun.

We've had our Colorado for at least 5 seasons and I purchased it used out of Florida. I believe the new model (yellow) may even be better than the blue one we have. As for maintenance, I do attempt to make sure it is fully dry prior to storage. Annually I bring it inside, vacuum it out (sand & pebbles), and wipe the vinyl air bladders with 303 protectant = ready for next year's adventures.

Spare Parts - Sea Eagle is easier to get replacement bladders and parts for. Sevylor only offers spare parts in Europe, and when you factor that in with shipping, you may as well buy a replacement Kayak and use your old one for spare parts. Accessories, you can get motor, motor mount, rod holder, etc for the Sevylors, and I'm not as familiar with the options offered by Sea Eagle.

Comparable models - Sevylor, Sea Eagle, Intex, Airhead, Advanced Elements, NRS, Solstice, Aquaglide, Ozark Trail, BRIS, AIRE, Hobie,,,, and the list grows on a daily basis.

Don't rule out Stand Up Paddle Boards (iSUPs, SUPs). My wife and daughter love theirs iSUPs, especially on lakes. Also, I'm super impressed with Sea Eagles new inflatable canoe, although they are a bit proud of them.

I've attached a few pics below, First is my son and I on the Niobrara National Wild & Scenic River 06/2013, second two are a lake in the Rocky Mnts 09/2014.

I hope this helps, but if you are like me, it will only make the decision more challenging. My advice, is don't shop too long,,,,,,Just get out on the water, and enjoy. Be Safe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1-02904-020A.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	14950   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1691.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	5.64 MB
ID:	14951   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	5.91 MB
ID:	14952  
2008 Toyota 4Runner
Upgrades - Lift Kit with 15" Tires/Rims/Spare & Rack,
Mud Flaps, Blue Tote Caddy, WDH Bar Holders,
Custom Outside/Chassis-mounted Tool Box,
Stove Cover, Bathroom Tension Self,
Outside Speakers, Fresh H2O Deck Plate,
100 Watt Portable Solar Panel, Shower Mod,
Over-wall TV mount - - (The fun never ends :-)
fourteener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 07:18 PM   #4
momto4girls

Thanks for the replies! This is very helpful to me.

I put a couple of Sea Eagles on my Amazon wishlist, and now I'm going to look up the Sevylors again.

You're right--the choices are overwhelming. I won't shop too long because I want one before May arrives.
Old 04-03-2017, 08:45 PM   #5
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

I bought ours off of a site that was obscure but very reputable according to a couple of other obscure posts that I read.

We got ours for $279.99 last June (just in time for our lake trip!). Their website is inflatableboats4less.com. We got the Sea Eagle 370 Pro package with the better seats. I think they work out of their house but the guy returned my call from somewhere he was traveling from and followed up on our order in a very professional manner.

I hadn't been kayaking in 15 years and just wanted something that would be compact to store and easy to inflate, didn't know if I'd use it a lot.

Can't wait to take it to the lake again! I added some bunji cord nets that I made on the front and back to stash the life jackets in and other stuff (got the bunji cord off of amazon.com) and some along the sides of the kayak to hook things onto in case they fell off. There are a lot of (not sure what to call them) grommet holes? where you can string things all along the sides of the kayak.

I just checked their website and the price is still the same.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:48 PM   #6
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

I also have the Sea Eagle 370. Love it! Easy to maneuver, easy to inflate/deflate, not too heavy. Have used it 4 or 5 times, and plan to use it lots more. For the money, I think it is a good inflatable.
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 10:24 PM   #7
momto4girls

Default Yay!

I impulsively ordered a Sea Eagle 370 (pro package with upgraded seats) from VMInnovations on eBay for $280. free shipping. They let you make an offer. I tried $270 and it was declined, but they took
$280. I felt like that was a pretty good deal after looking at prices on Amazon. VMI is a reputable seller--I've ordered from them before. I should get it tomorrow and hope to take it out to a local state park this weekend.

I feel better about ordering since y'all posted. Thanks! Can't wait to try it out!

I'd like to order one more--maybe a smaller one. Looking at a sit on top type from Sevylor. I'd just like to see the difference.
Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #8
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

There are videos about how to inflate it, use it, etc. on the Sea Eagle website. We had a lot of fun learning how to inflate it in the family room, but the cat didn't like it at all. He was absolutely terrified of it! Wouldn't even come into the room!
Old 04-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #9
momto4girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by B_and_D View Post
There are videos about how to inflate it, use it, etc. on the Sea Eagle website. We had a lot of fun learning how to inflate it in the family room, but the cat didn't like it at all. He was absolutely terrified of it! Wouldn't even come into the room!
Our cat totally ignored it! I inflated mine indoors first, too. It took up part of the foyer and part of the living room. Got pfds today. Hoping to try it out in the next few days.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:01 AM   #10
TMfor4ofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by momto4girls View Post
Our cat totally ignored it! I inflated mine indoors first, too. It took up part of the foyer and part of the living room. Got pfds today. Hoping to try it out in the next few days.
I know its been over a year but I was looking for one more post as I went down the thread. Just looking for a report on likes / dislikes?