TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 08-03-2015, 04:04 PM   #1
daveinfl

Default Thanks Bill

Just wanted to publicly thank bill for helping me and not knowing it. We had problems with our 12 volt lights throughout the weekend. They would randomly go on and off. Everything pointed to the bathroom wall switch ... but that wasn't it.

I tested the continuity on the switch about 100 times. The switch checked out OK. So I started looking for other obvious things. No joy.

So back to the forum I went. Some how I happened on Bill's folder containing pictures and fixes that he has done. In one of the pictures he showed two different kinds of fuses. A tube type fuse and a blade fuse. Bill said "NO" to the tube type fuse. That made me think that the only tube type fuse I have on my 2619 was one in the battery box. It didn't occur to me I could have a problem there since I was getting 12 volts at the bathroom switch.

When I opened the battery box, what I found was disturbing. The tube fuse holder had melted. I don't know why ... but it did. The only thing I can think of is batteries give off moisture over time because of the chemical interaction inside the battery. The fuse holder was not waterproof. Moisture could have caused corrosion and arcing may have started. I'm simply not sure.

I replaced the fuse with a blade fuse in a waterproof holder. I also replaced all the wires and put in a new ground wire to the frame. I tested everything thoroughly. That seemed to solve the problem.

So .... Thanks Bill. Your folder helped me a lot. Hence forth ... I will look in your HELP folder first.

DavinFl
2006 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer
with tow package
daveinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You're most welcome, Dave. I'm glad it worked out well.

There are a number of us that try to preserve helpful stuff in our Albums. Commodor47 in particular has a great deal more content in his Albums than I do, and it is all well-chosen and well annotated. It can be worthwhile simply to browse through it, simply to make yourself aware of what is there.

The purpose of Albums is to preserve content that would be effectively lost if included in a post. Individual posts gradually sink to the bottom of the pile, and it can be difficult to find older content. By contrast, Albums don't move. To find an Album, just find the name of the owner anywhere (at the top of a post, or in the members list), and click on it. The owner's profile will come up, including a list of his/her Albums.

Anyone can start an Album. Click FAQ at the top of most pages for instructions. Or, Commodor47 has a nice clear tutorial in one of his Albums!

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote