TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2022, 04:40 PM   #1
Serenity

Default I need Help

So I posted here awhile back asking if I could tow a 2008 3124KB. We purchased one from a dealer but now they are telling us that there is no way that we can tow it.

So we went to pick it up this weekend and the first problem is that the swing hitch prevented us from hooking up our weight distribution kit. We have a Reese Pro with sway. For one thing, the sway arms were too long. They were supposed to connect right where the swing hitch cross bar is. Also, you have to connect the weight distributor exactly 27" back and there was a nut in the way that prevented this. So we tried to hook it up without the weight distribution and the dealership said that our car sank too low to drive it like that.

So after looking on this forum, I saw that with SOME weight distributors, this may happen. So we decided that maybe we can just try to get a different weight distribution kit and try again.

We called the dealership to ask them if it would be safe just long enough to drive home (three and a half hours) and then we could get a different weight distributor. They are saying that our car (Infinity QX60) can not have a weight distributor on it because it would tear up the frame. They are also saying that it would not be safe to drive home without it because if we so much as hit a bump or if we have to sway to avoid anything, that it will force us off of the road.

I don't understand any of it because our vehicle can tow up to 5,000 pounds and the GVWR is 4800. I understand that it is cutting it a little close but my understanding was that it should be fine to at least bring it home. But I guess if we can't use a weight distributor that would in all likelihood, be a deal breaker. We even discussed the possibility of going ahead with the purchase and just sitting on it for a year until we can hopefully trade in our TV for something a little more suited for towing.

Has anyone encountered this before? Any suggestions. We really want to start camping. We moved to Colorado to enjoy nature more and then Covid hit and we just haven't been able to do that. And honestly, tent camping with two very young children scares me a little.
Serenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
Kmikesell
TrailManor Master

if the RV dealer won't let you take possession of it unless you have a WDH, then ask them to arrange to have it transported to your home ($500 - $1200). Then you can do as you see fit. I am not familiar with the Qx60 but others might be, but air shocks may be a possibility as a so
DH/DW 2018 Ford F-150
North Utah
Kmikesell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 05:24 PM   #3
Wavery
TrailManor Master

What year is your Infinity QX60?

Does it have a factory tow package?

Check your owner's manual for your GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating).

Does your owners manual "Forbid" the use of a WDH (Weight Distribution Hitch) or does it "Not Recommend" the use of a WDH?

That vehicle has a very short wheel base and a WDH would be best if you can use one.. I'd recommend the "Anderson WDH" if you can use one at all. Do a search in this forum for "Anderson WDH".

Basically, you are asking for legal advise from a bunch of people that you know nothing about. Some of us may be able to make suggestions but NOTHING should be construed as "Advise"........
Old 05-23-2022, 06:26 PM   #4
Serenity

The Infiniti is 2016 and the GCWR is 10,000 We do not have the factory hitch it is a UHaul hitch and it is a class 3. Our manual doesn't say anything about not using a weight distribution hitch, it actually gives you directions for using one. Our tongue weight is 500 and the dealership said that the Trailmanor tongue weight is 450 but they don't seem to really know alot about trail manors.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:40 PM   #5
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
The Infiniti is 2016 and the GCWR is 10,000 We do not have the factory hitch it is a UHaul hitch and it is a class 3. Our manual doesn't say anything about not using a weight distribution hitch, it actually gives you directions for using one. Our tongue weight is 500 and the dealership said that the Trailmanor tongue weight is 450 but they don't seem to really know alot about trail manors.
I don't understand how the dealership can prohibit you from towing your TM regardless of WDH or not. A WDH will certainly augment your tongue weight requirements.

Don't get me wrong, you are really pushing your weight limits and I would not use that vehicle, long term. That CVT transmission isn't the best for towing. That short wheel base would be a challenge without a WDH that includes a sway control (like the Anderson WDH.

Do you have an electric brake controller installed in your Infinity? That's a BIG deal. Towing that trailer with no trailer brakes is not a good idea.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:50 PM   #6
Serenity

Yes, we have already spent ALOT of money on the Trailmanor and a Tekonsha P3 brake controller was one of the first things that we bought. We also paid to have our wiring fixed so that it would work. If we can get the Trailmanor, were are willing to trade in our Infiniti for a truck or something but we won't be able to do that until next year.

Our biggest concern if just getting it home. If we have to wait a year to use it for camping then so be it. It is just the perfect one for us and we have been looking for awhile. It is on clearance AND we managed to talk the dealer even further. We have already decided that we want a Trailmanor, NOTHING else and it is an AMAZING deal. I really don't think that we will be able to find another deal like this with everything that we want.

We do live almost four hours away though and they are saying that based on how much our wheels sank that it isn't safe to even bring home. We plan on driving very slow. I am not too concerned about bring it home. We plan to be very careful. I am more concerned about whether we will be able to add a weight distributor to it.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:51 PM   #7
Serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavery View Post
A WDH will certainly augment your tongue weight requirements.
By how much, do you think?
Old 05-23-2022, 08:01 PM   #8
Wavery
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenity View Post
By how much, do you think?
I think that your real question may be, "How much will a WDH level out the tow vehicle?"

The weight distribution hitch takes some of the tongue weight and transfers it to the front wheels of the tow vehicle. It also transfers some weight to the trailer axle. That helps level out the weight between the 3-axles and (hopefully) levels the entire set-up.

I tow our 2009 2720SL with a Honda Ridgeline. I had the same issue with the rear of the Ridgeline squatting. The Anderson WDH leveled everything out and I feel more comfortable now.

Before pic with squat. after pic of level trailer, the Ridgeline is level also but I can't find the pic. 3rd pic is the Anderson WDH.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3396.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	20934   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3713b.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	20935   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3715b.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	308.7 KB
ID:	20936  
Old 05-23-2022, 08:13 PM   #9
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This question of "the swing hitch interferes with the placement of the WDH spring bar brackets" comes up now and then. While I don't know of a specific hitch that will work, the idea is to check a number of hitches until you find one with a dimension that will work. There are a ton of hitches in the 800-pound range. To my knowledge, no one who has written about this issue here on the forum has failed to find one. Most of the folks here on the forum use a WDH, and probably half of the members have a swing hitch on their TM.

Remember, the dimension that counts is the distance from the hitch ball to the center of the spring bar bracket, and that has nothing to do with the specific tow vehicle. It may take some research, but I'm sure you can find one.

I realize this doesn't solve your immediate problem of getting your TM home - but I hope it id encouraging.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:25 PM   #10
Serenity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

Remember, the dimension that counts is the distance from the hitch ball to the center of the spring bar bracket, and that has nothing to do with the specific tow vehicle. It may take some research, but I'm sure you can find one.

Bill
Is there a specific name for that measurement and/or will it be included somewhere in the product info for a weight distributor? We have already spent over three hundred dollars on the Reese Pro, which is useless. I doubt that we can return it.

This is encouraging though because if we have to make the dealership hold on to the Trailmanor until we can get the right weight distributor then we will do it. We just don't want to keep buying them until we find one that works. It is a four hour drive away as well.

Tags
3124kb, qx60, swing hitch, towing, weight distribution