TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Exterior
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
Rich & Deb

Default Door not sealing at the bottom

We noticed that the door does not seal properly at the bottom in our newto us but used 3124. When we open the trailer and fold out the bottom part of the door frame at the handle side. This panel fits perfectly at the top of the bottom half of the door. But at the bottom of the door this panel appears to be about 3/8 to 1/2 inch out of alignment. This leaves a very small gap between the panel and at the bottom of the panel. The panel looks to be straight, not bent so I am wondering if I unscrew it and put some shims to push the bottom back to the right position. I tried, but not too hard to push it into the right position. I can push it but it springs right back. I am wondering if I can unscrew it and then put some shims to move this panel back to position.

I would like to include pictures but my camper is in for other repairs. Please help me out. This seems like it should be a problem I can fix.

Rich
Old 06-17-2014, 03:46 PM   #2
LoveToCamp
TrailManor Master

Hmmm. I am not quite picturing what you are seeing. Is the hinge-side flush with the floor of the TM, but there is a ½" horizontal gap between the floor and the bottom of the door on the handle side? Or, is it a vertical gap between the floor and the bottom of the door?
LoveToCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:38 AM   #3
Javaranch

Good morning.

Is this a new issue? If not and nothing else has really changed if could be a leveling problem/issue.

I know that on our '98 3124KS the short side of the lower door is warped slightly, and if we aren't pretty dead on level there is a gap. Just a thought.

Good luck and hope your repairs are not major.

Cheers
Old 06-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #4
tentcamper
TrailManor Master

I don't see any pictures. But wonder if the front top needs to be adjusted for it's travel? I'm no expert on adjusting the travel, but there is information on this form for adjusting the lift system. Also, could the problem be on the hinge side of the door and it's out of alignment?
tentcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 10:25 AM   #5
MarkoPolo
TrailManor Master

As has been mentioned before, the door fits much better if trailer is level. It can make a significant difference.
MarkoPolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 02:12 PM   #6
Ronniem

I believe we have the same issue with our door; see pictures of bottom of door. The Hinge on the flap for the door that turns out has light through all but the top two links the gaps getting wider as you move down the hinge to the floor (no picture as flash eliminates the light through the hinge). We have a 2013 3124KB; we purchased the RV dealer's lot demo last year and the door has never fitted correctly, we usually put a mat over the gap to stop the draft, which can be significant at 2C as we have discovered on this trip. Is there an adjustment or a repair that can/should be done to ensure there is a tight seal at the bottom of the door? The level of the unit does not change the size of the gap.
Ronniem
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00254.JPG
Views:	130
Size:	7.58 MB
ID:	10616   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00252.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	6.95 MB
ID:	10617  
Old 09-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #7
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sadly, this is not a new issue, and I am unaware of a fix. As shown in your second pic, the problem is that the rubber flap on the bottom of the door gets folded back under the door, and fails to seal against the floor when the door is closed. The ugly solution, for a cold night, is to hook your finger behind the flap and pull it forward onto the floor. I keep thinking that I will screw a piece of garage door seal to the inside of the door, rather than the bottom. But I haven't done it.

Ideas, anyone?

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
TrailManorMan
TrailManor Master

I have found that by "training the seal" it will work. I also start the one end as it closes and the balance will follow, if you do this regularly the seal seems to learn the position it was designed for. Always start the seal and close the door slowly , after storing it this way and trying to remember to check on it and help start it it seems to take the shape needed. I agree that it can be a pain though.

2012 Chevy Traverse 2009.5 TrailManor 2720 with cassette toilet modification. Cat scale weight 3980 lbs. full tanks

"Retractable hard side camper", way more than a pop up

2020 has 28 nights reserved and planning more.
TrailManorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:32 AM   #9
Brittany Dogs
TrailManor Master

Yup, this is exactly what my door bottom looked like. The "fix" was to always store the door, when closing up the unit, with the rubber flap "flipped up" or "flipped outward" if you can picture that.

It usually means that you partly close the door bottom, use your finger to catch the rubber flap and bend it the other way, opposite of "curved under". Then carefully move the bottom half into stow position and secure with the door hook.
2011, Model 2720SD, 13.5k btu Dometic Low Profile Penguin II with a user installed Easy-Start modification, "Jack" TV Antenna, 15" Goodyear Marathon 225/75R15D Tires on Alloy Wheels, Swing Hitch, Electric Tongue Jack, Front Window (now an option). Powered with a Honda 2000i or 3000 handi (depending on the weather) generator when dry camping. Powered with two 6V Trojan T145 batteries when I need to run silent and deep. TV = 2016 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab w/ WDH.

Home Port: Western New York.
Brittany Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 05:01 PM   #10
Ronniem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittany Dogs View Post
Yup, this is exactly what my door bottom looked like. The "fix" was to always store the door, when closing up the unit, with the rubber flap "flipped up" or "flipped outward" if you can picture that.

It usually means that you partly close the door bottom, use your finger to catch the rubber flap and bend it the other way, opposite of "curved under". Then carefully move the bottom half into stow position and secure with the door hook.
Wish I had seen your post before we closed up the trailer and covered it ready for winter. DH feels this would have been an answer to our problem. There is still an issue with the door as the edge is wider at the door hinge side and too wide for the door flap. We also have noticed that the piano hinge of the flap that folds in on on the door hinge side is close at the top and slowly opens and allows light through nearer the bottom you look on the hinge. See attached picture.
Attachment 10775