TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Tires Tires Tires
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #1
Redhawk

Default Am I at risk?

I know this is a loaded question, I'm looking for informed opinions from the other TM owners here....

Our 2619 is an '08....should I change the Marathons now or give them another year? We're planning a couple long trips this year and I want the lowest risk possible of having a blowout. Sorry i don't have the codes off the tires to determine exact age. I'm leaning towards the Kumho's but don't want to waste money if not needed.

Thanks for any input.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

Haha....you should talk to an insurance actuary to help quantify the risk into dollars, they are good at that.

First, there's a good chance they were made in 07. Three-year old tires is getting close to the edge....I definitely would replace any tire 5 years old, and maybe even 4.

Second, on the good side, you have a 2619, which is a whopping 75 lbs less than a 2720. That might give you a sliver of reduced risk, but probably not measurable vs. a 2720, which I believe is the only other model with 14" wheels.

Third, how heavy do you travel? Tanks & toilet full? 2 batteries? Tons of food, chairs, grill, generator, 8 pairs of shoes, 2 weeks of food, etc.? If you're traveling bare bones, obviously your risk is lower.

Do you have 14" or 15" wheels? I can't remember when they started making 15" standard...maybe it even was just this year.

But all that may not matter, because you say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
I want the lowest risk possible of having a blowout.
IMHO, to do that, you should get a tire with a higher weight rating (like a Kumho), or upgrade to a 15" wheel if you don't already have it. If you don't, you'll know you could have always done better.

To replace 3 tires will run you ~$300. To repair a blowout on the side of a busy freeway in the dark and rain, and deal with the resulting damage at your campsite, will definitely cost you more, both in cash, and days off your life.

Bottom line: If they were a higher load tire on there already, I think I would leave them. But since they're Marathons, having a lower capacity, AND they're probably 3 years old, I would replace them.

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
Redhawk

Thanks Dave....good analogy. I have 14's...and am still not clear if the 15's will fit. As far as i know, I don't have a lift kit.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:03 PM   #4
RogerR

there is not enough clearance for the 15 inch tires to fit. You must upgrade with a lift kit to use bigger tires.

Unless you get a lift kit your only way to get a way from the high Marathon failure rate is to change brands.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Well, let's not be too emphatic here. There were a lot of failures with the 14" Marathons, and many of us, led by me, complained long and loud. And I still think that the 14" Marathons are close to being overloaded. But it has become apparent that the failures may have been due to cheap Chinese valve stems, rather than poor tires. Once the wheels are equipped with decent valve stems, I'm not sure that anyone else's 14" ST tires are better.

My solution was to move to 15-inch Marathons, and I've been completely pleased with them. And the question of "will 15-inch tires fit if you don't have a lift kit?" was answered in post #8 of this thread,

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...ad.php?p=50343

in which we discovered that the question of fit depends on the amount of clearance above the tire - the axle manufacturer suggests that the only thing that matters is that you have 3 inches of clearance above the tire to allow for suspension movement.

If you take the cover off the wheel well, and measure the vertical clearance above the tire, and find that you have 3 inches of clearance, then you can move to 15 inch tires. If you have less than 3 inches of clearance, then a 15 inch tire may not fit, in the sense that if the suspension flexes to the limit, the tire could hit the top of the wheel well.

So if you are going to replace the tires, you can put on 14-inch Marathons if you change the valve stems to metal. Or you can change to 15-inch tires, if there is 3 inches of clearance above the tires. Or you can change brands (Kumho, etc).

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #6
Scott O

Or best case, do as much as you can and go to 15" and metal valve stems! Also, I believe your TM has a lift kit...ours does.
Old 01-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #7
commodor47
Site Sponsor

See posts #15 and #16 for information on "lift kit" for the newer TM models.

http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=5042&page=3

The newer TMs come with a different axle - one that allows the box to sit higher without the need for a lift kit.
Albums
commodor47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:19 AM   #8
wmtire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
But it has become apparent that the failures may have been due to cheap Chinese valve stems, rather than poor tires. Once the wheels are equipped with decent valve stems, I'm not sure that anyone else's 14" ST tires are better.
Let me go back and look at the timeline, where the stems are concerned. I have no doubt they have caused many tire failures, but I seem to recall a lot of tire failures predating the stem problem.

I still lean towards the weight also being one of the main culprits, and any steps you take to gain more capacity in load bearing of the tires, can do nothing but help.

I was unaware that they had stopped placing 14 inch tires on the smaller TManor's, until after reading Shrimp Burrito's post above. This fact to me, may be Trailmanor realizing they needed a beefier tire on these trailers.....or they read our forums......or both.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

On my TM (1998 2720), there is a frame member about 1/4" behind the rear of the tires. I don't think that a lift kit will help that (although I may be wrong). I'll have to take a closer look. Problem is, I just bought new tires last spring........I'll have to wait a few more years before shelling out $ for another set of tires & wheels. By then, I'll probably be ready for a newer TM anyway..........
Old 01-15-2010, 10:01 AM   #10
Redhawk

Great info as usual, where are people buying the 15" rims from?
I'll do a search for the spare carrier mod. If I'm going to do it, may as well get the most I can. I have a couple months to get it all together and go measure the clearance.
Thanks all....