TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Plumbing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Default Ultra Heat water tank heater

We want to install an ultra heat tank heater for the fresh water tank but it is supposed to be installed on the bottom of the tank. Since the TM is sealed on the bottom, that doesn't seem to be an option. I get why they suggest it be where there is always water but I'm wondering if just having it on top and down one side, not using the adhesive, would be ok. Ok, as in better than nothing and not causing a meltdown. We will be traveling from Colorado to San Diego in February and if we're going to have water, we're going to have to do something.
Thanks in advance!
Malinda
Thule for our tandem Hobie Kayak :-)
120w Solar Panel - 2.5" lift 15" Marathons
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OneMoBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

This is a heater to prevent tank freezing, right? But the fresh water tank is in the living space, so it can't freeze if there is heat in the living space. Where is the tank in your TM? If under the sink, leave the cabinet door open. If under a bench seat, leave the top of the bench off.

If you are talking about the gray waste water tank, that's a different question.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:23 AM   #3
mtnguy

When I had my TM, I contemplated installing a vent grill in the wall under the bench seat in my 2720 to keep the water tank and lines from freezing, but I never did get to that project before I sold the TM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:43 AM   #4
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the great responses. Installing a vent grill under the seat is a terrific idea. I considered leaving the seat open. You can see from the picture the problem with that. Giving up ANY space, even during the night, in a 2619 with two big dogs is not really an option
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #5
Digger

I’ve made a couple of trips up and down the Alcan in the winter and this is what I experienced. At night the warmth inside the TM will keep the fresh water tank and kitchen plumbing from freezing. While towing during the day the TM is closed up and there is double and triple wall thickness to help lessen heat loss. After a days drive with the temp only reaching a high of 5 below, there was no freezing inside the TM. The bathroom plumbing is another story. There is a vent under the tub that exposes the plumbing to outside temps and it will most likely freeze up, especially while towing. I installed shut off valves on the water lines between the kitchen sink and bathroom so I can drain those rear lines and just use the water in the kitchen. You can always open them up for a quick shower then close them and re-drain the lines but there is a good chance the outside drain valves will be frozen if it’s really cold out. If you have AC power a hair drier works to thaw them. I use two gal. of –40 windshield washer fluid to prime the toilet, cost a lot less than RV antifreeze and works great and that is one thing you don’t want to freeze up and break.. I also use a dishpan and toss the water rather than use the drain where the water will freeze in the holding tank. I like to use a propane coleman lantern for light, it saves battery power which is important if you’ll be running the furnace all night and it gives off a surprising amount of heat, an added bonus. The important thing is to start out with a warm TM. When you first start out, put an electric heater in the TM before you close it up and let it run over night and don't unplug untill you are ready to go.
Old 10-09-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Hey Digger,
Man, I love this forum! Such great, great advice! We'll just do what we need to do until we get to Arizona and can make the modification to the water lines that you suggested before we head back here. I'll cross my fingers that it is possible for the 2619. Extra thanks for the washer fluid idea for the toilet!
Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 10-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #7
larsdennert

Good info just keep in mind that the white gas/propane lantern consumes oxygen and gives off CO2 and CO.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:45 PM   #8
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

Thanks for the concern. We'll be careful. That is why we are asking questions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-10-2010, 03:35 PM   #9
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

The fresh water holding tank was the most vulnerable in our Bounder. We used to put a droplight in that compartment when we found ourselves in really cold weather. I think because of that, I automatically went to that with the TM . . .

Anyway, we are going to install a vent grill for the fresh water holding tank and won't think about that anymore.

We've already used Digger's advice with the Thetford and think that is a terrific plan.

Today we installed an Ultra Heat tank heater on the grey water tank. http://www.ultraheat.com/shop/Tank_H...nk_Heater.html We couldn't follow all of the installation instructions because the TM holding tank is shaped funny and doesn't have a flat bottom. We thought we'd give it a shot though and will let everyone know if it is still attached when we get back from Southern California.

Malinda
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 01-11-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
OneMoBear
TrailManor Master

So, the reason we decided to install this is for the situation where we would be camping in freezing weather for several days. We would like to be able to leave grey water in the TM to flush after we dump the black water. We REALLY don't want to get caught with a huge ice cube on the very back of the TM.

Anyway, I couldn't find a good angle to get a picture but here's a shot at it. We filled the grooves with "Great Stuff" so road gunk can't get up on top of the heater where the adhesive isn't attached.

Malinda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0041.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	285.1 KB
ID:	4231   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0042.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	304.9 KB
ID:	4232