TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Frame
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #1
markandanne

Default Experience Adding a Swing Hitch?

We really like the 3023 floorplan for our family of five. We have a very deep garage, and a 3023 should fit in two of the three bays at this house without a swing hitch (less than a foot to spare in both cases though). However, all of our previous houses had shallower garages than this, and it may be necessary in the future to have a swing hitch. Also, we've noticed that all of the used 3023's on the market currently do not have swing hitches, so my impression is that most people give up on storing a 3023 or larger in their garages and don't waste the money on an option that they can't use.

Has anyone had a swing hitch added to a Trailmanor after they've received it from the factory? I've seen several threads which refer to Dinuba RV as retrofitting their own version of a swing hitch to the trailers, but Dinuba California isn't very close to Colorado, where I live. Does anyone know of other dealers who make this modification, or has anyone had experience adding a swing hitch?

Basically, I don't think I need it here at this house, and although the various threads on cracks related to the hinge side weld imply that the problem has been addressed at the factory with newer models, it still seems like another potential point of failure that I can completely avoid here. However, who knows where I'll be living in 5 years and I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if it's impractical to add later. And on the other hand, it would give walking around room in the garage even at this house.

Any opinions would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 03-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I think (but I wouldn't swear) that The Car Show in Colorado Springs has done this retrofit. A quick call to them would give an answer one way or the other.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
markandanne

The Car Show says that they can do it, and Danny's in Wisconsin says the factory can do it (for more money, so I guess the Car Show has a local welder do the work).
Old 03-05-2008, 07:06 PM   #4
larsdennert

Mine has a swing hitch and I would have preferred not to have one in my case. My garage is from 1930 and can't fit the TM even when swung, even if I cleaned out all the junk from 1930. I would prefer to have more mounting space on the tongue so I could move propane, batteries and generator in different configurations. The swing steals some real estate. No swing is lighter, safer, stronger and more simple. I guess I could convert it back but the less welding on a ductile frame, the better.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:55 PM   #5
markandanne

Default The Car Show's Swing Hitch

At the Denver RV show today the Car Show had both a factory swing hitch and their own variant for comparison, and the Car Show's version is what allowed us to buy a 3124KB. It solves a couple of issues - it's another foot further back, so it shortens the length by another foot or two over the factory's, and it also has hinge pins on both sides so that you can swing it or totally remove it as you desire. This lets a 3124 fit into any of our garage bays.

Additionally, the propane tanks are moved forward of the hinge enough to have space behind the tanks, and we're having them add an expanded steel shelf in that trapezoidal space underneath the frame (so as to leave clearance for a WD hitch). I'm not yet sure what we'll put there, but it seems like a no-brainer given the space. I'm guessing all of this will be heavy on the tongue, but with a more capable vehicle and a WD hitch all of that shouldn't be a problem.
Old 09-18-2008, 11:32 AM   #6
DJTinter

Default Who can convert 1999 2720SD to Swing Tongue in CT

Anybody know who can do this work in CT.

Ed at the factory says they cannot do it.

Daniel
Old 09-18-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJTinter View Post

Anybody know who can do this work in CT.

Ed at the factory says they cannot do it.

Daniel
I think I'd call the people in Denver to get a quote, on the theory that they understand the issues well enough to quote it accurately and to get it done right the first time if you actually go ahead with the work. After you see the quote, you'll know if this is something you really want to do. Worst case, you can make it part of a vacation adventure next summer.
Prodigy brake controller.

"It's not how fast you can go, it's how fast you can stop an RV that counts."
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 05:33 PM   #8
simoesxp

Reply to an old posting but it may help someone - Adam from TM parts dept replied to me that they sell the part for $600 plus shipping. You still need to take the TM to a shop to cut and weld as appropriate.
simoesxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:53 PM   #9
Wavery
TrailManor Master

It's really not a big deal. Most welding shops should be able to do it if they have an idea of what it consists of>>

Here you go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03570a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	20684   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03572b.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	138.3 KB
ID:	20685   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03604c.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	20686  
Old 03-29-2022, 09:17 PM   #10
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Makes me nervous. Does TM supply any instructions and dimensioned drawings? This is a very high-stress area of the frame. Five or ten years ago, a number of members (including me) experienced weld failures in this area, not a good thing set yourself up for.

I suppose the most important thing is to use a professional welder, not your cousin's kid fresh out of high school shop class.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote