TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > How to and Modifications
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2008, 09:29 PM   #1
NiceMustang

Default Adding an outside / mounted propane grill...

Looking at the 25th Anniversary model it got me thinking about adding a small round gas grill to the outside of my TM.

So I did some searching and came up with the Magma, which might be what is being offered on the new model. Small, round and you can get a mounting kit that goes over a square tube ... which might work to put one on the arms of the upper half (not sure of the name of this part of the camper...but it's the part you step on to close the top). Here's a link of the first one I found (didn't look around for pricing yet): http://marineengineparts.com/shopsit...l/page241.html

Putting it on the left side of the camper as you look at the door would keep the smoke from going up into the awning. Seems easy enough but I'm not sure about tapping into the propane lines ... but they seem to sell kits for this as well.

So my question for all of you is has anyone done this or does anyone have thoughts around the idea? I'm sure I'm not the first one to think of this so I'm hoping to learn from the best ... all of you in this forum!

Thanks for your ideas...Dan
Old 01-24-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
mtnguy

Dan,

Check out this little puppy: http://www.freedomgrill.com/FG-50.htm

I don't have it yet, but it is on my wish list.

Chap
Old 01-24-2008, 09:04 AM   #3
PopBeavers

For the first 2 of 3 years that we owned the TM, I kept thinking about Teeing into the propane line to run my small portable Coleman gas stove that we frequently use to cook outside. I kept postponing it.

Then this last year on a few occasions I had to park the TM in a campsite where the picnic table and fire pit was street side instead of curb side. So I used the stove on the picnic table.

I have subsequently purchased a small portable refillable propane tank and I can use the stove anywhere that I want to.

For me, the ability to use the stove 30 feet away from the TM is important. So I'll stick with the portable tank. We almost always camp in NFS campgrounds where we have a lot of space, I we use it all. If I camped in RV parks where space is limited then the portable tank would have less value and would be a hassle.

Storing the additional tank is another issue. I have a large truck for a TV, so I have a lot of room. If I was towing with a minivan I would probably think differently.

On the other hand, since the TM has 2 propane tanks you could always disconnect one and use it at the picnic table. A little bulky and heavy, but it could be done.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
Scott O

We had a Starcraft pop up before our TrailManor. It came with a barbeque which could be attached to the side of the unit and a convenient gas hook-up. But in thinking about it, the proximity to the trailer would allow the greasy smoke to get on the walls of the trailer and make a mess. That was the first thing I thought of when I saw the anniversary unit...very cool concept but questionable in practice. We didn't keep the unit enough for this to happen, but I can see where it certainly could. So we have a separate barbeque which we use on the camping table (or ground if necessary) away from our TM. The next step is what Wayne suggested...get another small propane tank for use exclusively with the barbeque.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I haven't done this, and haven't thought about it, the reason being that I hate to do anything that penetrates the outer skin of the TM. Leaks, rips, and all that. Like Scott, I want to keep the cooking smoke, odors, and grease away from the TM, and downwind to the extent possible.

I have considered Wayne's approach, and I have a small tabletop grill that we use occasionally. My thought - as yet unrealized - is to get a gas hose extension with quick disconnects, and tap off one of the TM tanks. All parts readily available, and best of all, no need to cut into the copper gas line inside the TM.

Just my thoughts.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:48 PM   #6
BobRederick

I am wondering about the grill and plumbing. You will have to carry the hose to do that and a small propane bottle will be smaller. My small Weber grill runs a long time on a propane bottle. Just a thought. It is nice to have the big tank that never goes dry!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM   #7
ragmopp

What I did was get a tee that attaches to the tanks (one on each tank). Then a 10 or 12 foot line and it attaches to my Weber Q. With the 2720SL it is a little tight getting under there to attach the line but it is possible. The extra length allows me to get the grill away from the trailer. Also the Weber has a stand that I can at least have the grill off of the ground.

Mike Anderson
Old 01-24-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
PopBeavers

I considered just running a hose back tot he TM, but in my case it would be more like 50 feet of hose. Not a good idea. The portable tank is the best choice for me.
Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 AM   #9
camp2canoe

An alternative to the whole propane issue, if the 15 minutes or so it takes to heat up isn't a deal breaker for you, is the Cobb grill. It takes a solid starter and just 9 briquettes. Although we do have a Weber portable propane grill, we seldom take it with, prefering the versatility of the Cobb which will grill, smoke, bake or roast. In size it is a little larger than a basketball and it and most accessories along with a zip lock bag of charcoal all fit in its zipper case. We occasionally even use it at home when cooking a roast or chicken because it does a better job than our full size Weber Genesis. There are also optional cooking accessories, which we've never tried, to use the Cobb to heat a skillet or wok for boondocking.

That being said, we carry a 6# refillable propane tank in a drywall mud bucket which we use to run a portable stove on the picnic table. Weather permitting, we do more cooking outside the TM than inside, particularly when preparing communal meals for our canoe group. We refill that portable tank every other year and have never completely drained it. It is so much easier to transport and carry than a full size tank and much more economical than the disposable 1# cylinders (to say nothing of creating less solid waste to end up in a landfill). - Camp2Canoe
Old 01-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #10
Scott O

The last time we used our Weber we cooked hamburgers, starting with a full canister tank. I was very disappointed with the amount of cooking time as it only lasted for one meal. Of course, forgetting to turn it off and leaving it on high all night probably didn't help! But the grill was very clean the next day!!! I guess that is another reason to keep it away from the TM...a good reason! The mind is a terrible thing to lose...