TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 01-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
JOEALAN

Default Plugging into 110 volt while TM is in garage

Is there a way to plug power into TM so battery can charge up while in garage without opening it up?
Old 01-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #2
2blueranger
Site Sponsor

There is an adapter available that allows the plug from the TM to mate to a 110v power cord. This will keep your TM battery charged up without opening it up.
Old 01-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #3
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueranger View Post
There is an adapter available that allows the plug from the TM to mate to a 110v power cord. This will keep your TM battery charged up without opening it up.

Thank you, a little more help please. You still would have to open TM to get to plug? It there another place on the TM other than the power source (Pull out plug to plug in at campground) and if so where approx. is it located? On TM tongue, door side? Again thank you, any help would be greatful. I guess this is what happens when you buy a used TM with very little insturctions on set-up.

Joe
Old 01-07-2008, 07:32 AM   #4
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEALAN View Post
Is there a way to plug power into TM so battery can charge up while in garage without opening it up?
JOEALAN,

If you have 1 of the units like mine that you can't get to the power cord while closed, check out the thread: http://www.trailmanorowners.com/foru...?t=6724&page=2,
begining at post #11.

I thought the 2004 had the power cord available when closed, but that might have happened in a later year.

I am considering doing a modification that would allow that usage, but am checking out some things 1st, like checking out some newer units to see how they now do it. Bobby (aka wmtire) is looking into that also, and 1 or both of us will probably post our results if we decide to try the mods. I am kinda waiting on an RV show to check out the arrangement of newer TMs, warmer weather, and to see how Bobby gets along if he does his 1st.

Chap
Old 01-07-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
mtnguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOEALAN View Post
Thank you, a little more help please. You still would have to open TM to get to plug? It there another place on the TM other than the power source (Pull out plug to plug in at campground) and if so where approx. is it located? On TM tongue, door side? Again thank you, any help would be greatful. I guess this is what happens when you buy a used TM with very little insturctions on set-up.

Joe
Oops, I think I was composing my last post while you are posting this.

I don't know of any other places on the TM for 120v supply power other than the pull out plug that you use at campgrounds. And yes, you have to open the TM to get to that. That is why several of us are considering modifications.

You could also hook a battery charger on trickle mode directly to the batteries. There has been a post the last couple of days about this method. That is what I have done in the past.

I bought a used TM also, and no regrets after checking out the costs of new units. If you don't have the instruction book, you can probably get 1 from the factory, or check out some excellent tutorials offered by some of the TM members here on the forum.

Or, check out: http://www.pinecon.com/TMDocs/MikeD_...rManual_v4.pdf

Chap
Old 01-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

You have a 2004 tow vehicle, but didn't mention the model year of your trailer. [Edit - I see that you have edited your signature line to show that it is a 2001. That's a good thing for everyone to do.] In 2002 and before, you couldn't get at the power cord while the TM was closed. In 2004, TM had a design change, and you could. I'm not sure which way the 2003s were built.

On my 2006, the power cord is accessible through a hatch in the end of the bumper assembly. Since you can't do this, I assume you have a 2002 or older TM. Assuming this is true, you need to beware of one thing. In those years, the TM was equipped with a Magnetek Parallax 6300-series converter. The battery charger in this converter will happily overcharge your battery if you plug it in and leave it on for a couple weeks. Smart chargers were invented later, and later TMs have a smart converter from American Enterprises or WFCO.

In your case, you might do well to buy a small smart charger from Guest Industries and attach it to the TM electrical system via the Bargman connector that normally connects to your tow vehicle. I bought a model 2610 three-stage marine battery charger from Guest Industries on eBay afew years back. There are several Guest marine chargers on eBay right now, for very reasonable prices. For more info on these, go to www.marinco.com, click "Battery Chargers", then click "Trolling Motor Chargers". The info you want will be under either "Single Battery" or "Dual Battery".

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TM cord hatch (Small).jpg
Views:	177
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	2452  
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:41 AM   #7
Freedom

When our 2000 2619 TM is folded you cannot get to the power cord. If I want to charge the batteries I use a separate battery charger. I remove the batteries in the winter and keep them in the garage where I periodically charge them during the winter. With the batteries removed, there is no chance of discharge due to parasitic loads, and the batteries are fully charged when I put them back in come spring. A small trickle charger doesn't cost much and won't boil the electrolyte out if you forget to turn it off for a few days.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #8
dbnoll

A method I use year round to eliminate having to open the trailer, which I keep in my garage, is to connect a trickle charger's ground lead to the frame of the trailer and the positive lead to the 12V pin of the Bargman 7-Circuit trailer end. While looking at the connector, hold it so the notch is in the upright (or in the 12:00) position. The pin in the 11:00 position (the #4 terminal) is the positive lead to the battery. I check the condition of the battery simply by turning on the external light and see if it is dim or you could also measure the voltage at the #4 pin.

I will then slow charge the battery for a day. This has worked very well for me.
Old 01-07-2008, 10:23 AM   #9
JOEALAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post
You have a 2004 tow vehicle, but didn't mention the model year of your trailer. [Edit - I see that you have edited your signature line to show that it is a 2001. That's a good thing for everyone to do.] In 2002 and before, you couldn't get at the power cord while the TM was closed. In 2004, TM had a design change, and you could. I'm not sure which way the 2003s were built.

On my 2006, the power cord is accessible thorough a hatch in the end of the bumper assembly. Since you can't do this, I assume you have a 2002 or older TM. Assuming this is true, you need to beware of one thing. In those years, the TM was equipped with a Magnetek Parallax 6300-series converter. The battery charger in this converter will happily overcharge your battery if you plug it in and leave it on for a couple weeks. Smart chargers were invented later, and later TMs have a smart converter from American Enterprises or WFCO.

In your case, you might do well to buy a small smart charger from Guest Industries and attach it to the TM electrical system via the Bargman connector that normally connects to your tow vehicle. I bought a model 2610 three-stage marine battery charger from Guest Industries on eBay afew years back. There are several Guest marine chargers on eBay right now, for very reasonable prices. For more info on these, go to www.marinco.com, click "Battery Chargers", then click "Trolling Motor Chargers". The info you want will be under either "Single Battery" or "Dual Battery".

Bill
Thank you Bill, and as well to everyone else who took the time to post a response.

Bill,the reason I didn't mention my model year (another post) is because I wasn't sure the model year. Previous owner posted it for sale as a 2002, but actually a 2001.

Thanks again, I know I'm kind of going deaf and my eye sight is failing me a little, but I look high and low on my trailer and couldn't find any power source when close. Gald I'm not going completely nuts.

Have a great day

Joe
Old 01-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #10
mtnguy

Bill, thanks for seeing that some of my advice to JOEALAN might have caused him problems if he did what I suggested. I am always appreciative of others on this forum with more knowledge commenting on some of my misinformation.

FYI, the 2003s, at least the 2720s made before March, did not have accesible when closed power cords.

Chap