TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007, 04:54 PM   #1
arb12345

Question Towing?????

I am purchasing an older tm25 soon and I have an 2003 Ford Explorer with the standard towing package with the 1 1/4 inch reciever on the back and was wandering if that set up would tow the TM25? I have seen different weights on this type.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-08-2007, 06:39 PM   #2
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

I have a 2720SL and a 2002 Ford Explorer, and I'm not sure what a "standard towing package" is. In 2002, you could get either "no towing package", or an "optional towing package" that included a Class III/IV hitch, 3.73 rear end, aux tranny cooler, and 7-pin wiring harness. If you have a 1-1/4" hitch, my guess is that you have what used to be called "no towing package". Sorry to be a bummer ...

Depending on where and how you tow, you may be able to get away with no aux tranny cooler and no high-numerical-ratio rear end. But you cannot tow a TM without a 7 pin connector and a brake controller. As for the hitch reciever? A 1-1/4" receiver is a Class II hitch. Although it is sometimes advertised as being good for less than 3500 pounds, that is not true for the Explorer, and it will NOT be adequate for towing any TM. Even the TM website, which is as optimistic as it can realistically be, says "We recommend using a Class 3 hitch with load equalizing bars for most vehicles (not necessary on heavy trucks)". An Explorer does not count as a "heavy truck", believe me!

You need to spend some time with the Ford Explorer towing guide. The 2003 version is available at
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...s_Windstar.pdf

Again, sorry to be a bummer, but I hate to send someone out without an adequate setup. Your life (and that of your family members) could be at stake. Not to mention a lot of wear and tear and repair on your truck.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #3
arb12345

Thanks alot. I took your advice and I am glad I did and it pulls great.

Thanks Thanks Thanks