TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Electrical
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Default Screws in the bottom of Battery case

Hi all,

I just started checking out our '07 TM2720SL before we take it out for the first time, never got a chance last fall... I had the battery on charge, on a timer through the winter months and I thought I should check the water levels. Well, the water levels were OK, but I found something that disturbs me.

The battery in the 2720SL is in the back compartment and inside the plastic box. I noticed that the screen covering the bottom vent hole was only covering half of the hole so I took out the battery and the bottom box. Under the box there were five screws poking up from the bottom of the camper into the bottom of the plastic battery box. Four of them were the screws that attach the Electric cable box to the bottom of the trailer, and the other was for a cable strap. These screws were over 1" long and the battery case was riding on them instead of setting flat on the metal. It wouldn't take very many miles for them to poke through the case, then the battery!!!

Fortunately, I found it before any serious damage was done. I fixed it by using 3/16" pop-rivets from the inside.

I have been pretty pleased with the workmanship on the camper until now. That was a terrible design, and implimentation.

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 07:43 PM   #2
Goodyear Travels

I have the same trailer and it had the exact same issue. I cut an 1.5 inch, cylindrical hole through styrofoam that I fitted into the recessed battery box. I found the styrofoam in trash bins at nearby construction sites (someone else used expanding foam from a can to fill the cavity). I inserted a small piece of 1.5 inch PVC piping into the hole to align the pipe with the screened vent hole in the bottom of the recessed box, and then siliconed it into place. Now I have a suitable platform for a new battery box containing two Trojan, T105, 6 volt batteries (with a vent restoring the bottom drain). The screws now extend into the styrofoam but that's no longer an issue. Most of the weight of the new battery box is born by the 3 inch, sandwich flooring that surrounds the recessed hole-- not the styrofoam itself. I'll have at least 4 X's the battery capacity of the standard issue 12 volt, imitation, deep cycle battery. I cut out the hose fitting and some surrounding plastic from the top of the old battery box cover and will JB-Weld it to the new battery box cover and vent the hydrogen through the existing hose. The screw placement that we both discovered made absolutely no sense but I never informed the factory.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:04 AM   #3
PopBeavers

I would think that there should be no holes in the bottom of the battery box. The purpose of the box is to contain the acid if the battery were to leak.

Unless of course the purpose of the hole was to provide a drain line to the ground, but I don't like that idea either.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:20 PM   #4
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Sounds like somebody grabbed the wrong screws (too long) at the factory.

I think that the hole is to provide drainage for any random liquid that gets into the battery well. Spill a cup of coffee? Leave the compartment door open in the rain? Get a little sloppy with the water jug as you are watering up the battery? Gotta drain that liquid out, or it will sit there and soak into the foam and eventually corrode the aluminum skin.

You're right, Wayne, the battery box should contain any spilled acid.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 02:01 PM   #5
PopBeavers

The batteries for my 2720 are on the tongue. The first time I opened the battery boxes to redo the wiring I noticed a fair amount of water in the bottom. Since it was clean water and not battery acid I conclude that it was water that had gotten in while washing the TM.

I briefly considered drilling a small weep hole so that rain and wash water would drain out, but promptly concluded that it was a bad idea in the event of a failed battery that leaked acid. So after washing the TM I now check the battery boxes for water and just dump it out.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #6
Keith Wire
TrailManor Master

Just an update...

I sent an E-Mail to the factory early this morning but haven't had a reply yet.

I sent an E-Mail to my dealer about an hour later and received a reply in 10 minutes... He too thought somebody just grabbed the wrong screws.

But, since we know it happened at least twice the I hope the factory answers.

I should have taken some pictures of before I repaired it and put it back together. The hole in the bottom of the battery case is directly over the screened vent hole and it looked like it is a knock-out that is built into the box. There were two knock-outs there, but only one was knocked out. I think there were some ribs around the knock-out, which support the battery. These would trap any spilled water or acid.

I plan to change this battery and box and install two 6V Deep Cycle batteries sometime this summer. I know I need to hook up the vent in the top of the box, but should there also be a hole in the bottom?

Keith
Keith Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 08:18 PM   #7
Freedom

I worked in the trucking business (mechanic) for about 40 years - half of which was in the Air Force/Air National guard. Every truck I ever worked on (civilian or military) had drain holes in the battery box and vents somewhere up high. When a battery is charging or discharging it puts off a gas, (H2S hydrogen sulfide) which is very flammable. If it is contained in a box and ignited it is also very explosive. You need a vent and a drain in your battery box. Look at the battery in your TV - I bet it's just sitting on (bolted to) a little metal or plastic tray - good ventilation and drainage.