TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Owners Community > Prospective Owner Questions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2006, 10:07 AM   #1
jmburg

Question 2720SD or 2720SL

My husband and I are retired and currently camping in a loaded '99 Coleman Niagra. Although we have been very pleased with it, we are hoping to upgrade to a Trailmanor. We had looked at new units and found them out of our price range and were so glad to stumble on your website with its wealth of info. and opportunities to buy previously owned trailers. We have narrowed our preferences to the 2720SD or the 2720SL since we do not need 2 permanent beds and would like some input from those of you who own either of these. Please let us know why you chose, like, or dislike these models. In looking at pictures, it seems that the heater vent on the 2720SL is on the front of the sofa? Is this uncomfortable for someone sitting on the sofa? We appreciate any input you can give us.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:19 PM   #2
jmburg

Thank you for the welcome and the info. It will take us a while to learn to navigate the site and take advantage of all the info. already available. I appreciate your response.
Old 12-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #3
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

We bought the 'SL because of the extra living room space when the slider is pulled out. We also like sitting side by side, on a comfy sofa, and looking down the length of the TM. Our TV is also on or above the kitchen counter above the refrig, so we can both watch it, and from a reasonable distance. I'm not sure you can do that comfortably with the 'SD. To each his own, of course.

The question of the furnace "burning someone's legs" has been discussed at great length here. As Leon suggests, you can use the Search tool to find it. But rest assured, it does not happen. My wife sits with her legs in front of the furnace, and loves the warmth in cool weather. Our dog sleeps in front of the furnace, and enjoys having her ears blow in the warm breeze. The furnace churns out A LOT of heat - but it also churns out A LOT of air, so the air is warm, not blistering hot. I think the 2720SL is TM's most popular model. You can be sure that wouldn't be true if it routinely "burned someone's legs".

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
idaho-steve

Leon's advice is solid. I really think you can get nearly EVERY question answered here by looking over the archives.

Regarding 2720SD vs 2720SL question it really depends upon your individual situation (traveling solo or do the little grandkids or adult kids occasionally come along) and intended uses (full hook-ups or boondock camping). My wife and I are quite happy with our 2720SL decision since it is usually just the two of us although our small grandkids think turning the couch into a bed is great fun. I like the versatility that the 2720SL offers us in our day to day use.

As far as the heater is concerned I do not find it a problem. The TM is pretty snug and I generally have electrical access when winter camping. Like most folks here, I use a 1500 watt space heater full timeand set the furnace for 55. It only kicks on for a few minutes every couple of hours when the temperature is below 20F. When I am using the TM solo in the winter and boondocking, the heater is quite comfortable. If this is a concern, I'd suggest either a visit to a local dealer and test it yourself.

Best of luck. I really enjoy the utility ofmy trailer and I am definitely giving it a workout this winter in Virginia.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
jmburg

Thanks, Steve and Bill, for your helpful comments about your 2720SL. This was our first choice and it is good to know that you are pleased with yours. We appreciate your willingness to help us in our decision making.

Joe and Melissa
Old 12-14-2006, 06:20 PM   #6
cali camping

Welcome to the forum! We are the new owners of a 2007 2720SD. We spent some time in both the SD and the SL model at the dealer and went with the SD primarily because of the table that is "permanent". We are almost doing something at the table and didn't want to have to manuever around the ones that come out from the side walls. We also eat our meals facing each other and it would have been akward to be on one side of the table sitting in the recliner. We also we're continually tripping over the floor junction (where the slider starts) although I'm sure time would fix that problem. On the SD model the junction starts at the edge of the dining seats so you don't trip on it.
In any case I would try and get to a dealer and get your hands on both of them so you could try them both out...good luck!

Chip & Kat Carter
Vacaville, CA
2007 2720SD everything but the swing hitch and TV
TV Cadillac EXT
cali camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 07:38 AM   #7
jmburg

Thank you for your comments, Chip and Kat. We do not have a dealer locally but are planning a trip to one in the area so we can do exactly what you suggested. We will look at the things you mentioned. We will be buying a used trailer because of cost restraints but agree that there is no better way to decide but to actually be in one. That is why these responses have been so helpful to us. We hope you enjoy your new purchase!
Joe and Melissa
Old 12-16-2006, 03:42 PM   #8
Freedom

Leon - How's the arm? I hope it's back to 100% by now.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
Freedom

We're switching to Tricare Prime from FEGHB because it will cost so much less. Not quite eligible for TFL yet. We probably should take this to PM instead of hijacking this thread.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:20 AM   #10
pbuck1

I think if I were considering a 2720SD I would go with a 3023 instead. For only 50 lbs more weight, and with the table up, it has a similar layout as the SD, more sofa space and the bonus of an extra bed, (which I wish I had if only as an area to put things that normally get in the way inside the main cabin, such as the dogs which are always underfoot, or the jackets, shoes and other items which get left around on the sofas and the floor.

-Paul