TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Technical Discussions > Towing and Hitching
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 PM   #21
PopBeavers

Some folks report that their TV does not provide enough power to run the fridge on 12 volts while towing, resulting in a discharged TM battery. The most common cause of this problem is either under sized wires from the TV alternator to the Bargman plug or bad connections.

I do not suffer this problem, so you might want to run some tests when you get your equipment so that there are no surprises.

I recently added a battery disconnect switch to my TM. This allows me to disconnect the batteries when not towing. I use it when the TM is parked in the garage and I can use it if I stop for a prolonged period of time while towing to protect the batteries.

My TV does not have a relay to disconnect the 12 volt wire to the trailer. So if I were to stop for a prolonged period of time, like a dinner stop en route, I need to unplug the TM fro the truck. The only problem is failing to remember to reconnect it later.

Before a trip I usually stock the fridge the weekend before with cold beverages of my choice and some otter pops in the fridge. I cool down the fridge on 120v and then switch to 12v when I close it down and park it in the garage. The fridge fan is also on. I switch off the battery for a couple of days.

Then On Tuesday I plug the TM to shore power and switch the battery back on. This cools down the fridge and tops off the batteries. On Friday off we go.

When we arrive in camp the fridge contents are cold, but the otter pops are not frozen. I don't think that on 12 volts that it gets cold enough to freeze. At least no in my experience. The fridge will freeze otter pops on both propane and 120 volts.

I have concluded that running the fridge on 12 volts while towing helps slow the rate that it warms up, when compared to not running on 12 volts. But it just is not really going to chill things down from a 12 volt source.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:36 PM   #22
Denny_A
Former TM Owner

Default Running reefer on propane(non TM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
In our state, Washington, it is illegal to run the refrigerator on propane while towing the trailer. I believe in many other states it is also. Back east, we were stopped before going through some of the long tunnels and we had to get out and "demonstrate" (their word) to the inspector that the propane was turned off. I think it would be extremely foolish to tow with the propane on and expecially with the refrigerator burning. What happens whenyou stop for gas - boom!
The majority of normal TT's have only AC elec/Propane reefers. I asked, specifically, on the Yahoo/Jayco Forum whether it was illegal to use propane whilst towing. Every single reply was one form or another of "not illegal". All but one of the respondents cooled the reefer w/propane when on the road.

The only exceptions cited were certain tunnels (Hampton Roads, f'rinstance). A couple of respondents thought it was odd that I didn't know there was no restriction other than specific posted prohibitions.

I have towed 5600 miles so far cooling my reefer with propane!!

If the advice I recieved was bogus, I hope someone will direct me to the specific "written" regs prohibiting use of propane whilst towing.

Denny_A
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 PM   #23
IBON4IT

Default Tv Insanity

Thanks for all the good info about batteries. There is so much you don't realize until you "live it", I guess.

After this horrible experience I don't think I'll take the risk of running with open propane valves even if it's perfectly legal. I think I'll just put some of those frozen blue ice things in the fridge, run the battery and make like it's an ice chest while on the road. Might even just use an ice chest. I'm so danged fire paranoid now.

My husband talked to a longtime fireman who said that in 25 years he's never responded to a TT fire that wasn't a total loss. I looked online for some kind of TT fire suppression system but couldn't find any mention. Of course a water system is out of the question (weight) and I'd imagine that there isn't currently any kind of gas which can extinguish a fire without suffocating any occupants (imagine you're asleep when the system initiates). Hmm, might be that there's a R&D business opportunity in this somewhere.

Further research (it never stops) taught me that Federal law requires all TT's to have a minimum of 2 exits out of each room of a trailer. I don't know where the 3023's emergency exit was because I never even thought to ask. I wonder how many campers know where their emergency exit is and how to use it. Having an extinguisher in the TV should be mandatory while a trailer is in tow. We used to tow a boat and almost lost it to a dragging bearing you couldn't hear or feel or anything. Luckily my husband saw it smoking in time to stop before it lit up the tire. Ever try to put out a tire fire? I read that the average trailer will be a total loss within 10-15 minutes of fire ignition. Imagine stepping away from the stove for a second or sparks from your campfire drifting up into your awning or...scary.

I'd better stop thinking about this. In this state of mind I could make Smoky the Bear look reckless! Ha ha.

Cindy
Old 03-17-2007, 05:20 AM   #24
mtnguy

For the 2nd & 3rd exits out of my 2720, you unlatch the beds, lift up, and crawl (or fall) to the outside.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:31 AM   #25
Bill
Site Team

Location: The mountains of Scottsdale, AZ, and the beaches of Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBON4IT View Post
Thanks for all the good info about batteries. I think I'll just put some of those frozen blue ice things in the fridge, run the battery and make like it's an ice chest while on the road. Might even just use an ice chest.
I am one of those who had trouble with the refrig discharging the battery while travelling. I finally solved the problem by running new wires from the tow vehicle alternator to the TM battery. There was a long thread on this topic, maybe 6 months ago. My refrig works great now. I don't know if it would freeze food that isn't already frozen, but it keeps frozen food cold. As Wayne said, it might merely slow down the rate of warming - but it works for me.

By the way, Fords have a built-in battery isolator - no need to unplug. So does the Toyota Tundra. I gather that Chevys do not. Others???

Quote:
I'd imagine that there isn't currently any kind of gas which can extinguish a fire without suffocating any occupants (imagine you're asleep when the system initiates).
Actually, there is such a gas. Big companies protect their computer rooms, and other facilities where water sprinklers would cause very expensive damage to the room contents, with Halon. Halon will put out a fire without hurting the people in the room. Naturally, any fire suppression system should have a LOUD bell/klaxon warning to alert occupants to the fact that the system has tripped. Now, installing a suppression system in a camper? Might be a challenge.

Bill
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 08:40 AM   #26
kempert
Site Sponsor

Arrow Fire: You don't have to fear it, just respect it.

Cindy -

My father was a fireman for over 50 years (professional until retired, then volunteer until his death) and he taught us the phrase above. To respect it you need to do 2 things. #1 - Learn and practice the precautions to prevent an unwanted fire. #2 - Be prepared to do what it takes to deal with an unwanted fire. As soon as you know you have a problem, call 911, then you can deal with it on your own until help arrives. Your first line of defense is a good extinguisher, that's in good working order. You can't just look at the gauges. The chemicals in extinguishers often get compacted in the bottom and will not work when needed. A simple solution is to periodically (as infrequently as 2 or 3 times a year) turn them upside down and bump them.

2008 2720SL - 7 cross-country trips so far + ventures into western Canada
2002 2720SL - 70,000+ miles before being retired to the farm
2015 Ford F150

"A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot and realize how blessed you are for what you have." -- Author Unknown
kempert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 09:44 AM   #27
Freedom

Actually, there is such a gas. Big companies protect their computer rooms, and other facilities where water sprinklers would cause very expensive damage to the room contents, with Halon.
The trouble is that Halon extinguishers are now illegal - "31 December 2002 is the last day that existing Halon systems may be recharged with Halon." "After 31 December 2003, all Halon systems must have been decommissioned and the Halon itself must have been disposed of by an approved contractor."
Old 03-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #28
Bill
Site Team

Jim -

Wow, things change fast when you retire! I didn't know (obviously) that halon was being phased out. I Googled a bit, and found info that is not in exact agreement with yours, but the fact of the matter seems to be that halon is no longer being manufactured.

There are a couple alternatives, and halon systems can be retrofitted with the new materials - but the whole thing is pretty elaborate and no doubt expensive.

Bill
Old 03-17-2007, 01:57 PM   #29
Bill & Lisa

My Chevy trailblazer has an Isolation feature on it. I no longer unplug when stopping. Thanks to others I met at the Jubliee with similar vehicles I also am able to maintain my TM batteries charge. The feed to charge the battery is clipped near the battery but not attached to the battery post on the Trail blazer. Until you attach it to the battery you can power DC loads from your TV but not charge the TM battery. I learn so much every time I am able to get to a rally.

Bill.
Old 03-17-2007, 05:34 PM   #30
Bill
Site Team

Bill -

Thanks for correcting my mistake about Chevy and isolators. Leon has posted so many times about unplugging that I assumed (I know) that his Trailblazer didn't have one.

Bill (the other one)