TrailManor Owner's Forum  

Go Back   TrailManor Owner's Forum > TrailManor Camping & Lifestyle > Camping Recipes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2013, 06:53 PM   #11
B_and_D
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesherp View Post
I bought an expensive espresso machine a few years back after a good run at the poker tables and we have become rather spoiled. As part of my research on what to buy and the art of making coffee ( for some people this is their hobby and live and breathe it) I learned a lot. I also purchased a good portable espresso machine for when we have hookups. Dry camping is more challenging. French press is probably second best to a good espresso machine. It turned out to be far too messy in the trailer. Using a cone drip system is where we are at now. I am considering upgrading my inverter to accommodate my espresso machine but may try this first.

I am intrigued by this coffee maker as it is essentially a French press that can be easily cleaned. This has the highest rating for alternative coffee making systems at the "Coffee Geek" site and is reported to make excellent coffee.

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/vacpots/aeropress

It is not a big deal but if you want your coffee to be as good as it can get I would suggest a metal filter, as paper filters absorb some oils from the coffee that add much flavor. Amazon has the maker ($26) and a reusable metal filter ($12) with free shipping. Here are the links.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A25SW9WEC88F0Y
That's what we have. Good to know about the metal filter! We've been using that coffee maker for over 6 years and would never go back to another type. It's super easy to clean out, all you have to do is rinse off the bottom after you push the grounds out. It makes great coffee, and it's quick. All you have to do is boil some water and pour it in.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 AM   #12
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

I ordered one yesterday. It should be here for our next trip.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 09:20 AM   #13
ShrimpBurrito
Site Sponsor

I'm going to order one too. Note Amazon also sells a different version that simply includes a tote bag for it for about $2 more.

http://www.amazon.com/Aerobie-AeroPr.../dp/B0018RY8H0

Dave
ShrimpBurrito is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 09:26 PM   #14
Lesherp
Site Sponsor

We went camping this weekend and am pleased to report that the AeroPress makes an excellent cup of coffee.

I have to confess that DW and I are kind of coffee snobs. It is not that we won't drink what is put before us but that we have learned what a good cup of coffee should taste like. We have come a long way from the drinking percolator coffee in North Dakota.

The problem is coffee grounds are inherently messy and a pain in a TM. With this you just put a heaping scoop in the chamber(adjust to your taste), add water, stir, let steep about a minute, stir, press the plunger slowly down extracting the coffee.

Cleanup involves removing the twist off bottom and pressing the grounds the rest of the way out the bottom into trash, scrap away the small amount of grounds sticking to the plunger and metal filter and give the AeroPress a little rinse.

I don't think it is possible to make a better cup of coffee with anything but a good espresso machine. DW thinks it is just as good.

Dealer Options:swing tongue, sink cabinet, awning, air conditioning, tile

Modification: 15“ tires & monitor system, WDH, Prodigy B.C., 2-6 V. batteries & clipper monitor, LED's. Additional modifications can be seen in albums.
Pictures of campsites and places we visited can be seen at https://www.flickr.com/photos/101899116@N06/sets/.

Lesherp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:24 AM   #15
brulaz

I had an Aeropress, and it certainly made an excellent cup of coffee.
But it was just a little too fussy for me that early in the morning.
So I went back to a filter cone placed on top of my big insulated cup.
My daughter now enjoys the Aeropress.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #16
Joseph

Default Good grief....

Perk it... no pressing and no messing... just coffee... my goodness....
Old 09-10-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
Tampajohn

We use old Thumper. Old perker maybe 30 years old that I bought at a garage sale. I think it is one of the colors of the 50"s, maybe almond. Just dump, rinse, fill, and plug in. Music to my ears to hear old Thumper in the morning when I first get up. Best part of the day is not Folgers, but sitting out front of my TM sipping on my first cup of java made from old Thumper. BTW, I just rinse it, The strainer is as dark as the coffe I put in it. Can't wait to bet back on the road to old Thumper. We are leaving for 5 months in our TM.
Old 09-10-2013, 07:33 PM   #18
countrygirl
TrailManor Master

I have the aeropress. I love it but Tom does not. So it stays at home in the back of a cabinet. We have only made 2 cups of coffee with it. I think I might list it on ebay one day.

We replaced the tires on the TM July 2017 I will update when I have time to get the specs

What's new...we went to all LED lighting and love them.

New 3/25/16 two new horizontal propane tanks.
countrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #19
scrubjaysnest
TrailManor Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
Perk it... no pressing and no messing... just coffee... my goodness....
Ditto, perk it with the 40 year old aluminum pot on the gas stove, over the fire pit, or anywhere to get it hot enough to boil good

mods: 2- 100 watt solar panels, on roof, 300 watts portable

“They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.” Benjamin Franklin
scrubjaysnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Joseph

Default Yea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampajohn View Post
We use old Thumper. Old perker maybe 30 years old that I bought at a garage sale. I think it is one of the colors of the 50"s, maybe almond. Just dump, rinse, fill, and plug in. Music to my ears to hear old Thumper in the morning when I first get up. Best part of the day is not Folgers, but sitting out front of my TM sipping on my first cup of java made from old Thumper. BTW, I just rinse it, The strainer is as dark as the coffe I put in it.
Now THAT is how you wake up in the morning!